The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have mixed feelings about the win over the US today.

It's always great to beat the Americans and I'm happy for Agosta scoring a pair on her birthday, but IIRC, the history with these two teams is that the team that loses in the preliminary round wins the gold medal game...

I have mixed feelings about the win over the US today.

It's always great to beat the Americans and I'm happy for Agosta scoring a pair on her birthday, but IIRC, the history with these two teams is that the team that loses in the preliminary round wins the gold medal game...

Very true. In fact, I think Canada starting Labonte and not Szabados suggests that they were ok with losing this one if they had to. Not that Labonte is a bad goalie. She's actually terrific, but I'd imagine it'll be Szabby who gets the start in the playoff games.

The only advantage to us winning this game is that we don't face Finland in the semis. It was 0-0 mid way through the 3rd when we played the Finns in round robin. They are a team that can come out of nowhere, get one lucky goal, and steer home an upset win. They beat the US at 4 Nations just a few months ago to take home silver, and USA had to settle for bronze.

But the Americans will be majorly peeved after this one, especially given that we won off of a controversial goal. Canada will have to match that emotion and have the same intensity and motivation as the USA (assuming we do play them in the final, Finland may have something to say about that!).

But for sure, no one will remember that we won the round robin game if we go on to lose in the gold medal game. Canada has to step it up even more.

Must be tough in a sport with judges. A goal is a goal, a touchdown is a touchdown, a dunk is a dunk, but with already suspect judges, I'd imagine no male figure skaters would be willing to risk coming out.

we've seen enough video replays fails, intent to whistle bs, and goals have been called off. There is a ref, and they make judgment calls that can change the game. So, it is not as straight forward as you think.

Very true. In fact, I think Canada starting Labonte and not Szabados suggests that they were ok with losing this one if they had to. Not that Labonte is a bad goalie. She's actually terrific, but I'd imagine it'll be Szabby who gets the start in the playoff games.

The only advantage to us winning this game is that we don't face Finland in the semis. It was 0-0 mid way through the 3rd when we played the Finns in round robin. They are a team that can come out of nowhere, get one lucky goal, and steer home an upset win. They beat the US at 4 Nations just a few months ago to take home silver, and USA had to settle for bronze.

But the Americans will be majorly peeved after this one, especially given that we won off of a controversial goal. Canada will have to match that emotion and have the same intensity and motivation as the USA (assuming we do play them in the final, Finland may have something to say about that!).

But for sure, no one will remember that we won the round robin game if we go on to lose in the gold medal game. Canada has to step it up even more.

Just watched the game online CBC site. I'll take the win, but on that second goal, clearly I heard the whistle before the puck went in the net. I don't know how they allowed that. I'm astounded that the commentators didn't pick that up either. But...I guess the ref shouldn't have blown it so soon the first place so whatever. But that goal clearly gave the Canadian's a boost.

Yeah its a little frightening that based on history these teams that the one that gets humiliated on the world stage in the preliminary round comes back with a vengeance in the Gold medal game. Canada better be ready. Finland can put a scare into any of these two top teams, but no way the USA will allow Finland to win against them.

Luongo sitting next to Crosby in the stands. Maybe a little hockey ju ju will rub off on him. (that didn't sound right)

Morrison is campaginign to get Junio to be Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremony.

Late Wednesday (Sochi time), Morrison tweeted:

@cdnhappygilmore for Closing Ceremonies flag-bearer! This guy showing everything that is Canadian pride and Olympic Pride. #ThankYouGilmore."

Shortly after, the hashtag #gilforflagbearer, surfaced.

http://olympics.cbc....-sacrifice.html

Maybe the Canucks should sign Agosta, at least she can score goals. :lol:

Can she ever!

Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit when I read this. It's been a battle but I'm proud of the sport for being where it is, and I'm thankful to everyone who has fought and continues to fight for it.

IOC spokesman Mark Adams says organizers are “very pleased” with the quality of play in the women’s hockey tournament so far in Sochi.

Because of a format change that separated the top and bottom teams in the world, there have been fewer blowouts than in past Olympics.

Then-IOC President Jacques Rogge had been quoted after the Vancouver games as saying, “We cannot continue without improvement.” But Adams says the former president was supportive of women’s hockey and was only thinking “way into the future.”

The United States and Canada are the sport’s two biggest powers, winning every gold medal at the Olympics and world championships.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ioc-spokesman-says-womens-hockey-is-not-at-risk-of-getting-kicked-out-of-winter-olympics/article16822282/

NHL.com ranks the top Sochi 2014 forward, defensive & goalie cores:

Forwards

1. Canada

2. Russia

3. Sweden

4. USA

5. Czech Republic

6. Finland

7. Slovakia

8. Switzerland

Dmen

1. Canada

2. Sweden

3. USA

4. Finland

5. Russia

6. Slovakia

7. Switzerland

8. Czech Republic

Goalies

1. Finland

2. USA

3. Sweden

4. Russia

5. Canada

6. Switzerland

7. Slovakia

8. Czech Republic

This is how Johnny Weir (former figure skater, now a member of NBC's figure skating coverage team) plans to walk around in Sochi. He's not even making a statement...this is how he looks all the time lol.

johnny-weir-600x450.jpg

All the power to him. I didn't like him while he was competing, probably cause he was winning, but after seeing him of Rachel vs Guy: Celebrity Cook Off, my opinion changed.

Archived