The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi Olympics 2014! Official "Olympic Discussion" thread.

PlayStation

Which event are you most looking forward to! (Other than Hockey.)  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The stray dog thing is sort of disgusting, but its not a problem that just exists Russia. My friend grew up on a farm north of Calgary, and he said they would always random stray dogs showing up, harrassing their dogs and eating their food. Left them little choice but to kill them. Sounds bad but is just the reality of things; it sort bugs me how some people(not you necessarily) are on their high horse judging the Russians for this, when the same thing is happening around their home as well but just on smaller scale.

Sounds like Canada is starting out good, keep the updates coming for us stuck at work

I just returned from a trip to Thailand. They don't spay or neuter their dogs, and have stray dogs running around everywhere. I was told they don't really have "dog pounds" or any systems like that, so the dogs just breed and breed. I heard that people sometimes lace their garbage with poison to kill the dogs that keep eating their garbage. It was sad to hear.

Why wasn't Harper there? Because of political reasons or safety reasons?

Because if it were the latter, I think it says the wrong image when your PM doesn't go yet young Canadian athletes head over.

Because he is a pretentious bitch. You know if the US and Israeli president are not going, then he will also not participate either.

I think Russia had a far greater culture and history to fall back on. I agree, Vancouver looked like it was searching for something that wasn't there. The opening was good no question.

Especially the tribute to the Canadian prairies...like what the hell was that?

It just looked so amateurish and didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Vancouver didn't put as much money into the Opening/Closing Ceremonies so they certainly weren't as breathtaking, but at least our venues and lodging were pristine. If I had to be in Sochi for almost 3 weeks, I'd much rather have good lodging than good fireworks and special effects.

I was watching the Opening Ceremony at work. Gotta admit, I had to work hard to not tear up when Hayley walked in with the flag. My co-workers expected me to cry too, which made it worse lol

I just returned from a trip to Thailand. They don't spay or neuter their dogs, and have stray dogs running around everywhere. I was told they don't really have "dog pounds" or any systems like that, so the dogs just breed and breed. I heard that people sometimes lace their garbage with poison to kill the dogs that keep eating their garbage. It was sad to hear.

When there are so many stray dogs, they become pests and are dealt with accordingly.

N. Americans except Mexico, treat dogs like humans, which to me is just as silly. There got to be a happy medium.

I agree, it's not just a Sochi problem. Plenty of places in the world with too many stray dogs.

Once I was drivinf in Mexico City. On an excursion to nearby sites, I never saw so many dead dogs lining the freeways, killed by cars. It was about one for every 20-50km. So gross.

Vancouver didn't put as much money into the Opening/Closing Ceremonies so they certainly weren't as breathtaking, but at least our venues and lodging were pristine. If I had to be in Sochi for almost 3 weeks, I'd much rather have good lodging than good fireworks and special effects.

I was watching the Opening Ceremony at work. Gotta admit, I had to work hard to not tear up when Hayley walked in with the flag. My co-workers expected me to cry too, which made it worse lol

Actually, it wasn't even the fact that they didn't put too much money in the ceremonies but the fact that some parts of the ceremony didn't make sense at all. They spent money on special effects and lighting but they didn't take full advantage of it or the imagery was lackluster.

Sean Bergenheim turned down an invite to represent Finland at Sochi 2014 today after Koivu & Filppula were forced to pull out. Bergenheim, who hadn't played in a year and a half due to groin injury before returning this October, says that he needed the break.

Here are the current Olympic roster updates:

- Canada: Steven Stamkos out, Martin St. Louis in

- Russia: Sergei Soin & Denis Kokarev out, Alex Semin & Alexander Svitov in

- Sweden: Johan Franzen & Henrik Sedin out, Gustav Nyquist & Marcus Johansson in

- Finland: Mikko Koivu & Valleri Filppula out, Jarkko Immonen & Sakari Salminen in

- Czech: Vladimir Sobotka out, Martin Erat in

- Slovakia: Marian Gaborik, Lubomir Visnovsky, Dominik Granak & Michal Sersen out, Branko Radivojevic, Milan Jurcina, Rene Vydareny & (TBA) in

- Switzerland: Philippe Furrer out, (TBA) in

- Austria: Fabian Weinhandl & Andreas Kristler out, Mathias Lange & Andreas Nodl in

- Norway: Torstein Horgmo & Marius Holtet out, Fredrik Lystad Jacobsen & (TBA) in

Canada may have the first medals of the games today:

Ladies Freestyle Moguls (4 qualified)

Mens Slopestyle (2 qualified)

hope for mens slopestyle. that event looks awesome.

two other canadian now trying to qualify for the final

first runs are not enough (9th and 10th). need to be top 4 to make to the final

it's cool how they are allowed to skate on top of that russian doll!

9 24 CAN Mark MCMORRIS 55.50 9

10 3 CAN Charles REID 46.25 10

Did anybody witness the flag less Indian olympic team dubbed the "independent olympic team"? What a shame to 1.2 billion people that their country can't even represent their athletes properly... because of corruption. Even the poorest and smallest nations represented themselves...

Archived