The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Re: Canucks "We're Going to be all Right"; Aquilini "2014 Canucks are NOT the REAL Canucks"

Vancouver Canucks 30

Santo's injury was probably the turning point of the season. Huge part of the line up

Gillis brought hi in to play on the Comets. To now blame his injury on the team]s downfall really illustrates that Gillis had no plan and the core has simply not delivered.

So many excuses for so many problems and no one stepping up from the GM to the stick boy. Poor Canucks, just no puck luck.

This is the wisest message that the organization can send.

This is precisely when you publicly stand behind your team.

Nothing else is acceptable - nothing else serves the interests of the organization.

I'm 100% behind Gillis for what he said... as long as he doesn't actually believe what he said.

Some of you guys are hilarious.

You complain when Coaches/Management/Players don't say anything and when they do you still complain.

Exactly what is it do you want to hear?

"Hi I'm Mike Gillis and thanks to some fruit on CDC, we have decided to trade so an so to the Hawks for Jonathan Towes and I can't believe it but the Hawks GM said, sure - it was after all from a CDC member who knows way more about hockey than us GM's do".

I simply don't want o hear that the General Manager and Owner feel this team as it is curently constructed is going to be " alright ". Injuries are not an excuse as this is exposing the team's lack of ability to find and develop players to fill in for injuries and move up the depth chart.

I'm 100% behind Gillis for what he said... as long as he doesn't actually believe what he said.

Yes.

Anyone here who thinks the coach, GM and owner don't have a grasp of reality, are, with all due respect, observing this through simpleton lenses. This is a game face and it's absolutely fundamental.

The message to be sent is first of all - that the sharks can circle the boat all they want - there may be some blood in the water, but that is all you are going to get. Not a single player is going to be thrown overboard to satisfy their desire for a feeding frenzy.

Second: (one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite writers - recently popularized by the tattoo of Aussie Open Champion Stan Wawrinka - who took what may have seemed like forever to finally break through).

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett

"They lost the confidence their most-devoted fans had in them."

"They have not, however, lost the faith of their general manager."

Seriously F//K The province and that rag of paper. WTF do they know about our fanbase and it's loyalty. WE stand tall and still believe and we want Gillis to pull the trigger or GTFO! We have nearly lost complete faith in his abilities. FFS I hate the media with every ounce of my being. These hacks deserve to be publicly hung.

rant over....

Well ranted where the Province speaking for the fans is concerned - that was certainly a point worth ripping to pieces.

Botchford is among the most fickle and aloof of 'fans' - if he could be classified that way at all [i personally think hometroll is more accurate]- he's generally little more than dramatic and compulsively negative. He's got a hell of a lot of audacity (as usual) speaking for the most devoted of Canucks fans.

That is a demographic that has next to no respect for him, let alone considers his prattle representative.

That said, I don't share your opinion of Gillis (or the hyperbole about hanging people). He's part of the team - that I still believe in.

Kind of expecting some decisions based on three years now of not really being able to score. 3 years of needing a 30 goal winger for the top lines (make that 3 now that daniel and bur have dropped off the face of the earth)

3 years of no decisions addressing this teams actual problems.. .just more D and more 3rd line centers.. and shockingly more of the same "success"

3 years ago (2011) canucks were first in the league for goals per game

2 years ago (2012) canucks were fifth in the league for goals per game

Last year slowed down to 20th in a shortened season (easily could have been written off as an off year due to players not going overseas to keep in game shape)

This year yeah, we are hurting simply becuase are top players haven't been playing like top players, be it injuries, age, over worked, or whatever, they are not getting it done like they have in the past.

3 years hmm I think you mean the last year and a half.

Side note, Sometimes goal scoring troubles aren't cause by lack of a pure sniper.

As has been repeated countless times, this season was always going to be a write off. New coach, new system. Takes time to not only get used to it, but then evaluate your talent based on what your coaching staff has to say and then make the necessary changes.

The right people will be unloaded in the off-season. Once the necessary changes are made, then people can correctly judge the new direction the team is on. For the time being, we'll have to wait it out.

The first change is to fire Torts. Why wait to end of season? Do it now and cut losses.Torts is a guy whose day is done. Why would anyone risk a cent on this guy's decisions.

Starts the season with the "blocked shot" mantra -- that really helped We lost Burr. Announces that we may not win many games but we'll be tough to play against. (He was 1/2 right) Blames AV for the lack of penalty calls in favor of Canucks -- claims officials don't make calls because AV told playrers to dive. Meanwhile fans boo Torts on his return to New York. Canucks lose to Rangers after Torts brags he want to Kick a## in NY and get out of town.

Concocts bizzare lines for quarter season losing many games which easilty could have been won. Destroys player moral meanwhile fails to accept responsibility. States -- the coaches haven't done enough to teach the team positional play. This from a guy who in a matter of weeeks destoyed one of the best puck possession teams in modern hockey. Chases a compeitior's coach into the locker room looking for a fight. Claims it was the other guys fault.

As far as I can see Torts has no "system" other than his system of excuses at post game interviews. I note interviews are no longer posted on Canucks site.

Gillis obviously made a mess of Schneider "trade." And hiring Torts was a mind numbing colossal blunder. Gillis has had his shot. But that is not the source of the current disarray. From day one Torts ghas been the wrong guy for this team. For example -- Kess on the wing -- only to be returned to center (Of course Torts does not admitt mistake - says Kess far better winger than he thinks.) Split Sedins only to put them back together Torts says Sedins need to be tougher. He looses Henrik Sedin to injury ( Torts criticized in New York for a "system": that caused excessive injuries and demoralized star players.) Does Vancouver really have to learn this lesson over again - can't we benefit from the Rangers experience?

There will ne no banners raised in Rogers Arena during the Torts era.

The truth is we have no idea how Gillis or Aquilini feel about this team. They're not going to come out and publicly state what they think of the team, especially if they don't like what they see. We just need to wait and see what Gillis does at the deadline and the draft. Gillis isn't going to trade players just for the sake of making a trade and he isn't going to admit to the entire world that the Canucks are desperate or that he's lost faith in the team.

3 years ago (2011) canucks were first in the league for goals per game

2 years ago (2012) canucks were fifth in the league for goals per game

Last year slowed down to 20th in a shortened season (easily could have been written off as an off year due to players not going overseas to keep in game shape)

This year yeah, we are hurting simply becuase are top players haven't been playing like top players, be it injuries, age, over worked, or whatever, they are not getting it done like they have in the past.

3 years hmm I think you mean the last year and a half.

Side note, Sometimes goal scoring troubles aren't cause by lack of a pure sniper.

How many goals did they score again in the finals?

Scoring is the reason there was no cup, scoring is the reason we were bounced in 5 then 4 games... and scoring is our main problem now.

so ya 3 years.. soon to be four once this year is done

11, 12, 13, 14.

(easily could have been written off as an off year due to players not going overseas to keep in game shape)

??? like every other team in the league that didn't get swept in the 1st round?

I simply don't want o hear that the General Manager and Owner feel this team as it is curently constructed is going to be " alright ". Injuries are not an excuse as this is exposing the team's lack of ability to find and develop players to fill in for injuries and move up the depth chart.

In other words, you'd rather a GM that chastises players in public for poor play and threatens to trade him?

Great motivation.

NOT!

How many goals did they score again in the finals?

Scoring is the reason there was no cup, scoring is the reason we were bounced in 5 then 4 games... and scoring is our main problem now.

so ya 3 years.. soon to be four once this year is done

11, 12, 13, 14.

??? like every other team in the league that didn't get swept in the 1st round?

By your logic Pittsburgh needs to get better goal scorers...Just saying need more then goal scorers in the playoffs 1 pure sniper wont save us

"They lost the confidence their most-devoted fans had in them."

"They have not, however, lost the faith of their general manager."

Seriously F//K The province and that rag of paper. WTF do they know about our fanbase and it's loyalty. WE stand tall and still believe and we want Gillis to pull the trigger or GTFO! We have nearly lost complete faith in his abilities. FFS I hate the media with every ounce of my being. These hacks deserve to be publicly hung.

rant over....

This guy actually got a thumbs up calling for the public execution of the press for what they wrote?

Wow...

The 1930's called, they want their rhetoric back.

Archived