The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like Ehlers and all.

But seriously people....what position does he play? Where is our organizational needs being met by picking up yet another small payer at his position?

Our need is RW period. After Jensen and Grenier we have literally NOBODY and I do mean NOBODY who can step into the top 6 on the RW.

Tuch, Virtanen....possibly Perlini. But come on, enough redundant players in redundant positions. Size, skill speed...RW

Here are my top ten players, taking into consideration the position where we will, realistically, be picking this year (6-15):

1./2. - tie) Nikolaj Ehlers (elite speed, skill, IQ, passing, hands, work ethic)/Jake Virtanen (skill, shot, speed)

3.) William Nylander (high level skill and best hands in the draft)

4.) Brendan Perlini (size and skill; Elite PWF potential)

5.) Alex Tuch (skill and willingness to do whatever it takes to win; star PWF potential)

6.) Nicholas Ritchie (incredible PWF potential)

7.) Jared McCann (TWF that has size and never-ending motor; skill definitely there)

8.) Kasper(i) Kapanen (speed and skill; magic hands - I guess you could tip your Kaps to that)

9.) Adrian Kempe (size and skill; NHL-level hockey IQ)

10./11. - tie) Nikita Scherbak/Ivan Barbashev (Russians always have a nose for the net, but these two hit to hurt. Whaat?!)

With all this considered, I really really enjoy watching Robby Fabbri.

He is a magician with the puck - amazing hand-eye and hockey IQ. I expect to see him rise past 20, due to the way he's elevated his game this season.

I'm sorry to all who this offends, but Haydn Fleury is the most risky pick that I see in this year's draft.

He has huge bust potential because, though he skates very well and has a decent wrist shot, he hasn't yet shown that NHL-level capacity to blow down on an accurate slap shot, or had a solid-enough hockey IQ that he could play in, literally, any situation in the NHL, power play penalty kill.

Only D-man who I can see being a home run pick in the first round is Aaron Ekblad.

I have him slotted in at 15th on my list, behind Dylan Larkin and Sonny Milano.

Ten forwards without a D man even considered? Hey I understand getting more exited by scoring potential.

This thinking is why teams go over 40 years without having a legitimate Norris candidate. If you are not willing to invest top picks in D, it should be no surprise we never score premium talent for our blueline. Look what picks like Maata, Karlsson and Doughty do, or have the potential to do for Pitt, Ottawa and LA. Maata and Karlsson were picked 22knd and 15th BTW.

Can you tell me scouts did not notice that Karlsson had such speed and hands? A guy that good, that fast as he broke into the NHL as a 19 year old rookie was missed due to position prejudice IMO.

Some teams routinely scout D because premium talent is ignored by the majority and passed over for forwards; therefore available in a position like 6 thru 15. Then as good D are more rare they trade D prospects for key position players; see Goligoski for Neal.

Ehl plays wing. Natural LW, but in my opinion is more effective as a RW. Plays the position better. Tuch Virtanen and Nylander would be the best RWs available at our position if we're hanging around 10.

We've 3 guys in our system capable of being tweener or bottom 6 LW's plus Shinkaruk who is a potential top 6 C/LW Added all the guys in our actual roster as well.

Virtanen, Tuch, Vrana, Watson Bleakly Kapanen. All of these would be solid pick ups for the club because we need RW players. We could get 2 in the first 2 rounds or provided we get another 1st round pick 2 in the 1st which could make a difference as early as 2015.

Our need is RW period. After Jensen and Grenier we have literally NOBODY and I do mean NOBODY who can step into the top 6 on the RW.

Tuch, Virtanen....possibly Perlini. But come on, enough redundant players in redundant positions. Size, skill speed...RW

I'd argue Kassian ought to be considered a RWer in that same age group as Jensen & Grenier.

I wish we could trade Edler for Mantha, 1st, and Franzen. Even if we had to add a little I would do that in a heartbeat. We could get a top 10 pick with Detroits 1st most likely considering Zetterberg's out. If we can get in the top 10 also we could draft Ehlers and Virtainin or Perlini. Our cupboard would be stacked pretty good for the future.

Spot on.

I like Ehlers and all.

But seriously people....what position does he play? Where is our organizational needs being met by picking up yet another small payer at his position?

Kassian....?

I wish we could trade Edler for Mantha, 1st, and Franzen. Even if we had to add a little I would do that in a heartbeat. We could get a top 10 pick with Detroits 1st most likely considering Zetterberg's out. If we can get in the top 10 also we could draft Ehlers and Virtainin or Perlini. Our cupboard would be stacked pretty good for the future.

Detroit wants Edler as much as they want a roll of toilet tissue. Given, they're sitting on a toilet which is called out of a long playoff run.

We could get Mantha, 1st and Franzen for Edler, [Gaunce](or*prospect/picks) and Higgins.

I like the way you think, though, it'd be an amazing fix for our current situation for now and the future.

It doesn't really matter where they pick, there scouting staff cannot evaluate talent. Remember last year?

Horvat or

Nichushkin. How is that working out? lmao

Yet somehow they managed to draft Cory Schneider, Alex Edler and Ryan Kesler.

I'm sure you would have been able to as well or

It doesn't really matter where they pick, there scouting staff cannot evaluate talent. Remember last year?

Horvat or

Nichushkin. How is that working out? lmao

Remember how Tyler Myers, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft, Scott Gomez, and Sergei Samsonov won the Calder? And that's only looking at the last 15 years or so.

One season does not a career make. Not to mention he's on pace for 40 points, playing next to Seguin and Benn. It's not like he's PPG or even close to it.

Edit: I don't mean to trash Val at all. He's a great prospect. However, you can't trash Horvat because he isn't NHL ready right out of the draft.

Archived