The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are we still in the hunt for a playoff spot?

Have not heard anybody run down what has to happen and the odds.

Warhippy said we could slide to the 5th pick.

That would also yield about an 8% chance for number 1 overall.

The stars align, and:

a. We get in and win the Cup, or

b. We get Ekblad, he's all he's trumped up to be, joins the Canucks right out of camp, becomes our long awaited defenseman saviour, and leads our young guys to win the Cup.

Edit: trying to get it to say "b)" instead of the smiley face thing.

If we got ottawa's pick too I would not trade them both for dal Colle. Way rather just pick 2 players. There's no guarantee MDC is a future first line superstar. Got a better chance at that keeping 2 picks shortly after him. I'd trade both for ekblad but that's about it.

Hes on another level of perlini imo. The canucks need to get as many sure thing rookies as they can before the sedins retire.

I just think dal colle(lol) will fill the net with speed and stick handling that no one on our team even comes close to having. He just has the speed with stupid dangles

Hes on another level of perlini imo. The canucks need to get as many sure thing rookies as they can before the sedins retire.

I just think dal colle(lol) will fill the net with speed and stick handling that no one on our team even comes close to having. He just has the speed with stupid dangles

I hear ya. I'd way rather have him than anyone ranked 6-12. I just don't think coughing up 2 picks right after him is a smart move.. Cam Barker should be a top 5 dman in the league right now but it didn't happen. Id rather come out of the draft with Ritchie/Perlini and Fluery than put all my money on MDC.

Even if MDC ends up an 80 point player, if Ritchie is a 60-70 point guy down the road and Fluery is looking like the second coming of seabrook. We still make off better.

The other thing is. Have 2 top ten players join the pool gives us more depth and flexability. It gives us the wiggle room to add a solid prospect in a later trade. If we end up with Virtanen and McCann, maybe the emergence of McCann makes gaunce expendable or vise versa.

The draft is full of surprises and disappointments. IMO the only sure bet to be a superstar in this draft is Ekblad. The rest I'd be hesitant to trade 2 picks for.. Unless it's a real late first and a 7-9th overall.

I hear ya. I'd way rather have him than anyone ranked 6-12. I just don't think coughing up 2 picks right after him is a smart move.. Cam Barker should be a top 5 dman in the league right now but it didn't happen. Id rather come out of the draft with Ritchie/Perlini and Fluery than put all my money on MDC.

Even if MDC ends up an 80 point player, if Ritchie is a 60-70 point guy down the road and Fluery is looking like the second coming of seabrook. We still make off better.

The other thing is. Have 2 top ten players join the pool gives us more depth and flexability. It gives us the wiggle room to add a solid prospect in a later trade. If we end up with Virtanen and McCann, maybe the emergence of McCann makes gaunce expendable or vise versa.

The draft is full of surprises and disappointments. IMO the only sure bet to be a superstar in this draft is Ekblad. The rest I'd be hesitant to trade 2 picks for.. Unless it's a real late first and a 7-9th overall.

You make a good argument, it is really hard to trade two top 10 picks for a guy who isn't a guarantee. I am just think it can go the same way for top 10 picks, and Dal Colle is like the youngest player possible with electric numbers. Let's see how the playoffs keep going though, if Oshua beat the Knights in the Finals I think we'll have a different tune.

And Tbh Ritchie and Fleury is almost identical to Dal Colle if you consider what we could trade current roster spots for.

I just don't think there's a wrong move after trading Kesler for Etem and two 1sts

And Tbh Ritchie and Fleury is almost identical to Dal Colle if you consider what we could trade current roster spots for.

I just don't think there's a wrong move after trading Kesler for Etem and two 1sts

Myself I like the idea of pouliot and a late first more than that Anaheim deal.. I think Derek Pouliot is a better star addition than Either Etem or any pick we have a realistic shot at.. We've made great late first picks in the past couple years too. If I had my pick out of Pouliot or any of the picks 6-12, I'd still take him every time. Better prospect and most likely ready to step in and kick edler out the door haha.

You want sure fire rookies like MDC? Well it don't get any better than DP when it comes to dmen.

if a trade like that actually happens. We get Anaheim's Ott pick and then flip em both for Dal Colle.. I'd probly be watching the draft goin "holy crap these guys wanted Dal Colle in a bad way, he MUST be the real deal" haha

I'm actually really excited about Anaheim being a potential trading partner for us regarding Kesler. It just makes so much sense, they're a perfect fit. Sure, they have some players down the middle behind Getzlaf (Bonino,Perrault), but they're very inexperienced players who just happen to have career years at the age of 25/26. How will they do next season? I'm always surprised looking at Anaheims roster, and then realize they're a top team in the NHL. Especially since they traded away Bobby Ryan in the off-season. Players like Bonino and Perrault have never even been close to these numbers before at the NHL level. It's quite mind-boggling.
Anyway, Anaheim have such a deep prospect pool, and they also have that Ottawa pick. You kinda feel like there are so many potential proposals that would make sense for both teams. They're also a young team that will improve, so they will be able to move some prospects for success in the present.
Etem is obviously very interesting, but i also think Shea Theodore would make sense for both teams.
Anaheim have a young, improving offensive d-man like Fowler already, and a young solid d-core overall. Because of Fowler, Theodore could be expendable for Anaheim, and Theodore won't be NHL ready in a few years anyway.
We are looking for that puckmoving defenceman, which is exactly what Theodore is. Might not be that Letang type of player (Pouliot), but more like a Mike Green type of player. Capable of steering the Power play. Good skater, good reach, lead scoring for defencemen in the WHL (Morissey and Pouliot did play a few less games though because of the WJC).
Depending on where Ottawa will end up in the standings, i really think there are some flexible options here. Let's say Ottawa surpass us in the standings and ends up with the 10th overall pick. They could trade Etem/Rakell or maybe one of their younger roster players, + that 10 overall so we could draft (Hayden Fleuy perhaps?), and maybe they could throw in a 2nd/3rd round pick, for Kesler.
Or they could trade Theodore, + that 10th overall pick and a 2nd/3rd round pick perhaps, for Kesler. I think that's pretty fair value for Kesler, if you are pushing for the Cup, like Anaheim should do IMO. Getzlaf and Perry are in their prime. I guess it all depends on how good Anaheim will do in the playoffs.
At the same time, they did trade Bobby Ryan for that Ottawa pick, Silfverberg and Noesen (who basically hasn't been able to do anything this season due to injury). Would they be willing to give up those assets listed above, for a slightly older player than Bobby Ryan, sitting on a similar contract? I wonder how highly Anaheim value that Ottawa pick since they haven't got THAT much value back from the Ryan trade, yet. As i said, Noesen has been injured all season, but Silfverberg hasn't exactly been great either.
It's all just speculation i guess.

It's a long shot but I've just heard Journalists say there's gonna be a log jam on prospects, this would make sense in getting a guaranteed 1st line sniper.

Especially if we say screw it and let Etem/Santorelli/Horvat compete for 2C

really impressed with his play from what I've watched. his stock has definitely risen since qmjhl playoffs. I think he goes 6-11

Personally, if the canucks pick around there. I think we should get him, cant teach that kind of skill and speed.

So barring a surprise, the top 5 goes as we expect with dal Colle and Draisaitl rounding off the big 3. We are sliding but have 9 points on 5th spot.

Say we pick sixth, who do we pick? It's kind of a tough call eh.. Picking 8-12 you kind of get help making the decision as a couple guys are gone.

How do you get to the conclusion of who is the best of the rest. You get your pick out of Ritchie, Nylander, Perlini, Ehlers, Virtanen, Fluery haha quite a tough decision picking 6th

Perlini would be a nice consolation prize and at 205lbs and one of the youngest players draftable.

I'd rather Dal Colle or Leon and if we can trade up to get either I would.

I think we'll be drafting 7-8 though. And should trade the pick for 4th or 5th,

So barring a surprise, the top 5 goes as we expect with dal Colle and Draisaitl rounding off the big 3. We are sliding but have 9 points on 5th spot.

Say we pick sixth, who do we pick? It's kind of a tough call eh.. Picking 8-12 you kind of get help making the decision as a couple guys are gone.

How do you get to the conclusion of who is the best of the rest. You get your pick out of Ritchie, Nylander, Perlini, Ehlers, Virtanen, Fluery haha quite a tough decision picking 6th

Good that means Fleury and Kaspanen avaliable for us

THeres always the chance that Burke goes for the truculent Richie or hometown kid Willie Nylander, likely leaving Leon.... Which would be a stellar pick up at 6.

Archived