The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

THeres always the chance that Burke goes for the truculent Richie or hometown kid Willie Nylander, likely leaving Leon.... Which would be a stellar pick up at 6.

I totally believe that might happen if that happens it probably means either Dal Cole (Eric Staal comparable) or Leon the German (Evgeni Malkin comparible) which makes it that our crappy season is not all lost and we can come out of it, with a strong draft pick and rebuild from there.

THeres always the chance that Burke goes for the truculent Richie or hometown kid Willie Nylander, likely leaving Leon.... Which would be a stellar pick up at 6.

I know Burke likes big tough guys but they can be found throughout the draft. I think for a rebuilding team they gotta find that second top six centre of the future. Draisaitl fits what they need very well. I think he'll pass on Nylander.

If they pick fifth and Draisaitl goes fourth, I could see them passing on dal Colle to take Ritchie. If either Leon Reinhart or Bennett left I think calg takes a centre. They'd be stupid not too.

One interesting thought is if nyi give their pick to buffalo. If buffalo gets a centre with the first or second overall, and Draisaitl is left at the nyi pick, do they take Fluery or Ritchie to fill a different position?

I am kinda hoping we land one more pick in the top 10. Not to move up. If we manage to win the lottery, then great, if not, well that's no loss. Getting Ottawa's pick and Etem from Anaheim for Kes, among other things should be a main focus. I kinda think Kes would be traded to Pittsburgh first though. Dealing within the division is a dangerous game. Pairing Etem with Shinkaruk again though is extremely attractive!!!

I hope Perlini falls down to us, with his poor playoff performance.

This guy is the purest goal scorer in the draft.

Not likely that he'll have to fall for us to get him.

He's pegged at about the 7-10 pick.

I think there will be better players available where we're picking.

Not likely that he'll have to fall for us to get him.

He's pegged at about the 7-10 pick.

I think there will be better players available where we're picking.

Perlini is likely going in the top 7.

I see us picking somewhere between 8-10.

Perlini is likely going in the top 7.

I see us picking somewhere between 8-10.

Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander.

I doubt Perlini gets taken before any of these guys.

At the rate we're going we'll be picking 6th or 7th.

As I agree with most of your post, what makes u certain gillis

Would take ehlers and nylander before Perlini?

Just curious what you think.

Earlier in the season I had Perlini ranked just above Ritchie, but now have to give the edge back to Ritchie, with leading

His teams amazing comeback and scoring the series winner, his stock is going no where but up, I could see Burke drafting Ritchie I really could!

And picking 6th or 7th would be great,guranteed 1 of reinhart ekblad Bennett Leon dal

Colle Ritchie ehlers nylander Perlini

One of them will

Be ours which is very nice!

There's usually a couple of guys that fall outside of the top 10. Mantha and Shinkaruk, last year. Forsberg and Grigorenko, 2 years ago.

I can see Ehlers being one of those guys, because of his size. Ritchie is another.

The only thing is for sure, is the top 5.

If we drafted 8th and Perlini fell to us cuz of Ehlers and Nylander going 6-7 I'd chuckle.

He's going top 6 guaranteed.

Chances of getting 6th overall?

well not playing until saturday helps a few teams leap frog us in the standings. Winnipeg plays Pitts and they should/could win that. Carolina plsys NYI snd that too should be winnable. playing La, Col, and Anaheim will help us stay where we are and could be in 6th. I just get scared that the boys go out and thump the Coilers and Flamers and boost us back to picking 10th.

The one player I hope doesn't drop down to wherever we pick is William Nylander. Being a fan of MoDo I have watched him play and I am really not that impressed with him. I think he will be a decent NHL player but he is a risky pick with his size. Also seems that he has some attitude issues with the way he has conducted himself with MoDo, pretty much only wanting to get loaned out to Sodertalje in the second league.

The one player I hope doesn't drop down to wherever we pick is William Nylander. Being a fan of MoDo I have watched him play and I am really not that impressed with him. I think he will be a decent NHL player but he is a risky pick with his size. Also seems that he has some attitude issues with the way he has conducted himself with MoDo, pretty much only wanting to get loaned out to Sodertalje in the second league.

I Hope we draft him. I agree it is a risky pick but in a somewhat weak draft I consider Nylander to have the highest potential and he is the only one I can see as a future firstliner. We have a bunch of two-way players coming up so I say take the risk.

Cool article on Brendan Lemieux. Don't know if he'll still be around at our second pick but man id love to add him to the prospect pool. Or If we get a late first in a draft day deal i really hope we take him. Game models after his dad and pops won 4 cups lol even if he busts i wont hold it against gillis one bit haha

from the calgary sun sometime in january

CALGARY — When he arrived in Calgary for Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, Barrie Colts winger Brendan Lemieux admittedly didn’t realize the Saddledome had such significance to his famous father, Claude.

“I was talking to him the other day and I was saying, ‘Wow, this arena is amazing,’”

Brendan said. “He was like, ‘Yeah, I won the Cup there.’ It’s pretty cool to have a dad that has done those kind of things.”

Claude Lemieux and his Montreal Canadiens teammates spun victory laps around the Saddledome in the spring of 1986, almost a decade before Brendan was born.

In fact, during an NHL career that spanned 19 seasons and also included stints in New Jersey, Colorado, New Jersey (again), Phoenix, Dallas and San Jose, Claude had his name engraved on Lord Stanley’s mug four times.

He also put his name — in permanent ink — on the list of the most notorious villains in hockey history.

Punch ‘Claude Lemieux’ into YouTube and many of the top results are punch-ups, including a famous brawl between the Avalanche and the Detroit Red Wings in ’97.

“You don’t really know until you’re about 10 years old and your friends start talking about it,” Brendan said with a chuckle. “And then you look at it and you’re like, ‘Wow, look what my dad started.’ ”

Now 17, the younger Lemieux is well aware his father — Claude’s resume includes 1,449 NHL games, 459 goals, 943 points and 2,306 penalty minutes — is a polarizing figure.

“You get a lot of people that love you, especially in the Colorado franchise and even San Jose, from his later days, and especially in New Jersey and Montreal,” Brendan said. “And then you get over in Windsor — my roommate, Aaron (Ekblad), is from Windsor — and you get a lot of people that don’t.

“But I’m blessed to have a dad that played in the National Hockey League and can give me a lot of great advice and a person to follow. I’d love to follow in his footsteps.”

Ekblad, who served as captain for Team Orr during Wednesday’s CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game and is on Lemieux’s good side as a member of the OHL’s Colts, admitted it’s not hard to tell who the 6-foot, 206-lb. nuisance models his game after.

“Oh yeah, his personality comes straight from his dad,” Ekblad said. “He’s so hard-nosed. He goes into every battle as hard as he possibly can, every shift, and you can tell by the way he comes off the ice. He’s always gasping for air because he goes so hard all the time. I think that comes from his dad.

“Even in practice, when you’re playing against him, you can freak out because he is so annoying. He’s so good at what he does, and if you can get under a guy’s skin like that, that’s very important.

“It’s good to have on your team, not so good to have off your team.”

Especially if he inherited Claude’s knack for scoring big goals at big moments, an NHL organization will be thrilled to add Brendan to their stable at the annual prospect-grab in June.

Claude Lemieux had his name called in the second round, No. 26 overall, of the ’83 NHL Draft, part of a class that included Hockey Hall-of-Famers Pat LaFontaine, Cam Neely and Steve Yzerman.

Brendan was listed at No. 38 among North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings, but he points to his father as proof that draft position is just a number.

“There were probably three or four guys that ended up with longer careers than him of all those guys that went ahead of him,” Lemieux said. “That’s the kind of guy I want to be. I want to be the guy that just works his way and gets to the National Hockey League. A workhorse, that’s what I pride myself on.

“That’s one thing my dad has really instilled in me — the hardest-workers, the guys have that have the most drive, are always the guys that end up on top.”

well not playing until saturday helps a few teams leap frog us in the standings. Winnipeg plays Pitts and they should/could win that. Carolina plsys NYI snd that too should be winnable. playing La, Col, and Anaheim will help us stay where we are and could be in 6th. I just get scared that the boys go out and thump the Coilers and Flamers and boost us back to picking 10th.

I was thinking about this as well. Those 3 games, while being out of the playoffs could really drop the team back down.

Archived