The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Top 5 or Nylander for me. Nylander has his flaws, all prospects due but his skill and vision is undeniable. Swedish fans I've talked to have said he is better than Niklas Backstrom was during his draft year. His frame is good for filling out, evidence is that his neck is long . Having a potential Henrik replacement for the future would be huge for us. Not everyone needs an amazing 2 way game

Will anyone be unhappy if we select Michael Dal Colle at 6 if he falls? I just want to know so that we could potentially have a pick everyone can be happy with..

It's a dream I know, but I had a dream... wasn't about this at all, but that doesn't matter.

According to lupul who claims his friend is his cousin saw him a few times said he hates the Vancouver canucks. But I mentioned to him too that if he's available at 6 we will not hesitate to draft him, and too actually warn him to tell mdc that .

Unless he is injured he will be.

Cool, I just wasn't sure how often the euro guys come over for it, I guess if they want to get drafted high they better.

I don't mind picking Ritchie, but if he comes into the combine out of shape I might start to wonder about his work ethic. I'd also like to see if Ehlers or nylander have filled out over the year.

According to lupul who claims his friend is his cousin saw him a few times said he hates the Vancouver canucks. But I mentioned to him too that if he's available at 6 we will not hesitate to draft him, and too actually warn him to tell mdc that .

Maybe send a homing pigeon just to be sure. Lol.

Mario Lemieux hated the Penguins, btw. He now owns them.

" His most productive junior season came in his draft year, 2002–03, when he scored 49 goals and 101 points, ninth in league scoring. "

Why does post lock out matter? It wasn't like the Q had a lockout. Now your cherry picking and manipulating numbers to make a person look better. I can say the same type of thing and say no Dane has never put up more than 25 goals in a year before, Therefore he’s in a weak group of company and it’s not looking good for him.

Your putting way too much emphasis on this 100 points in his draft year. Scouts obviously don’t think that highly of it as most mock drafts have him ranked between 6-13th and not in the top 5.

Mackinnon didn’t make that important 100 point club and was taken 1st overall. It just shows that Mack had way more to his game and that it’s not just about points. If Ehlers was flawless, he would be ranked 1st overall and not past 6th.

The Q was a different league 6 or 7 years ago let alone 10 years ago and beyond, comparing from over 10 years ago really doesn't hold a ton of weight, the league has only improved over time. So I don't think its a fair comparison where there were numours kids putting up 100+ every year. Its alot more rare for draft eligible kids to do it nowadays.

It doesn't mean everything, but it most certainly means something, and that is that he has elite skill. And with him, again, I think part of the reason he isn't grouped in with that top 5 is because it was his first year in the CHL as that article that had been posted earlier mentioned. It raised a pretty good point.

As for Mackinnon he played 44 games did he not? With a PPG that would have had him over 100 pts? So I think the point needs further context.

No one is try to say Ehlers sucks. All people are doing is weighing the pro's and con's on each prospect with “relevant” stats and information. Not manipulated information to make someone look better.

I'm not disagreeing with your stance on the whole thing (this pick and everything else you've said in the thread for the most part)

But what alot of people are doing, and not just about Ehlers, about all the prospects, is making things up that are incorrect to devalue them as players/prospects.

This is basically exactly where I fall as well.

Nylander, albeit not without risk, has huge game potential. His skill level tops the board on average against the rest of the players outside of the top 5. I also find his international experience, and his ability to raise his game each time, to be a great indicator of his top end potential. Despite TOML's assessment, he has been able to do this consistently against his peers for 3 years and showed his best hockey. He doesn't shrink he raises his game.

It's my belief that he also will be champing at the bit to get to NA even if it means some time in the AHL. He has experience living on this side of the pond so his adjustment to the off ice conditions will be smooth. Whether he can translate his game to NA rink size and opponents is the same question everyone will have for him. I believe this is overstated. His previous education on smaller rinks, where he learned to play hockey , is no worse than any Euro prospect. In fact, by these indicators it should be better.

As with Ehlers, I don't put stock in the argument that he can't play in the NHL or Pacific because of his size. That issue will be dictated by his will, off ice training, and support network. In this regard I consider the Canucks organization a great fit. The positional fit is good, the mentorship is in place, and he had a good group of young players to grow with to compliment his game. He currently has defensive questions, which I factor about 3/4 of skilled draft eligible players to have, but he has more than enough time to shore this up and possibly turn it into a positive mark in the ledger.

Will he take time? I think so. Two years more of SEL and an apprenticeship in the AHL for half a season. Then one would expect him to step onto a scoring line in the NHL. Worst case scenario for development curve would be to add another year to this IMHO. 3.5 seasons before becoming a top 6 in the NHL. There is some bust potential there, but not as much as is being stated I think, and there is huge boom potential.

Ultimately I think his future will depend greatly on the team that drafts him. If he goes to an organization with a poor history of development like Edm or Tor I think the risk is increased. If he goes to a team that handles him correctly he could be a major diamond and should one day be the in the conversation of best players outside the NHL.

I think the think with Ehlers is, he has a willingness to play a two-way game, and with his speed (a big asset on the backcheck & getting into the play) I don't really think its anything to worry much about, especially considering he's a top PKer for Halifax so he's getting the opportunity to improve and its not like he's terrible in that area,

As for Nylander I basically agree on your assessment, I just see a bit more risk in him than you do which is why he isn't my preferred choice. I think he's a raw talent with outstanding tools, but there are some things that cause me to worry, and I really think we need to get a player with this pick, and can't afford to shoot a blank. Not that I am writing off Nylander entirely because even if he doesn't hit his potential I still think he could be an Ales Hemsky type of top 6 forward, but out of the players around the pick I think he carries the most risk.

I also completely disagree with the notion of character issues, with him. I think its largely overblown.

Will anyone be unhappy if we select Michael Dal Colle at 6 if he falls? I just want to know so that we could potentially have a pick everyone can be happy with..

It's a dream I know, but I had a dream... wasn't about this at all, but that doesn't matter.

Him falling to ous is my dream scenario for the #6 pick.

Nylander has an allergy to dumbbells, highly doubtful he attends the combine.

He's 181, not too bad for a kid that just turned 18 two weeks ago.

Lol my point is they wont take Ehlers if Shinkaruk is in the system unless there is a trade in the works. You can never have enough scoring wingers, yes,but they are both the same position and the same finesse type player.We are in the west we cant have too many players like the especially in the same position. Do you honestly think they will take Ehlers? If they do im fine with it, but id be shocked. We could use a right shot with size in Virtanen or Ritchie would look great with Horvat and Kassian. Especially if we end up trading Kesler, we will need more size.

Says who?

For how many years have the Hawks played Kane with Sharp? They usually deal with it just by pairing them up with Hossa. And Seabrook on the back end. But in a pinch, Bickel is just fine as well. Between Kane and Sharp there is more than enough talent for any line; Bickel just has to add some physicality and make sure no one abuses the situation.

A sniper like Shinkaruk with a play maker like Ehlers, or Nylander could be magic with a complimentary big guy. Who exactly is going to chase them all over the ice?

ISS released their May rankings.

ISS Hockey @ISShockey 1m

ISS Top 30 released for May: http://ISStop30.com Ranking of the top prospects for the @NHL Draft PLEASE RETWEET pic.twitter.com/FOT9zJd7Iy

Top 11: Reinhart - Ekblad - Dal Colle - Bennett - Nylander - Draisitl - Perlini - Fabbri - Ritchie - Virtanen - Ehlers

I could have easily quoted one of your posts - you're not immune from the same criticism looking at a number of your posts in this thread.

But back on topic, I'm with ForsbergTheGreat and theminister because of Nylander's high end skill. I feel it's that much above anyone else we might have available, and only someone dropping from the consensus top 5 would give me pause. Of course, this is without access to interviews and combine results for these players and those kinds of things could greatly change anyone's opinion on who to pick.

Another factor to consider is that Nylander could go straight to the AHL this year or next.

Same with Kapanen.

Find it funny hearing people say you can't judge a player until after few years, but then go on to say that one ranking is better than another.

Anyway, at this point randomly-changing rankings this time of year is just a way to boost traffic from hockey-deprived Canadian fans.

Cool, I just wasn't sure how often the euro guys come over for it, I guess if they want to get drafted high they better.

I don't mind picking Ritchie, but if he comes into the combine out of shape I might start to wonder about his work ethic. I'd also like to see if Ehlers or nylander have filled out over the year.

This is a post from NHL.com Regarding the Combine Fitness

2014 NHL Draft
Scouting Combine expected to draw 119 prospects
Thursday, 05.15.2014 / 9:00 AM / 2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - June 27-28, 2014
NHL.com

Many of the top players on NHL Central Scouting's final list of North American and international prospects eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft will be front and center when the NHL Scouting Combine takes center stage later this month in Toronto.

Dan Marr, the director of NHL Central Scouting, is anticipating the attendance of 119 players, including 101 North Americans, at the Combine from May 26-31.

2014 NHL COMBINE
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=718423 - list of full invites to combine

There are 18 international prospects, including two goalies, expected to attend. All NHL teams will have the opportunity to sit down for interviews with the invited prospects from May 26 through May 30. The medical examinations of each player will take place May 30 and the fitness portion, headed by Dr. Norman Gledhill and his York University Fitness staff in Toronto, will be held May 31 at Toronto International Centre.

Unlike previous seasons, the player invitation process was revised to enable NHL clubs an opportunity to participate.

"It's a change from past practice of invites being solely based on Central Scouting's final rankings," Marr said. "Research has shown over the last decade that an average of 78 invites to the Combine were selected in the top 100 at the NHL Draft.

"For the 2014 Combine, a two-stage process was adopted. In the initial stage, the top 75 players on Central Scouting's Players to Watch List were invited [at an earlier date] and the final stage involved the NHL clubs voting in the remaining 45 players. The number of invites increased this year."

Central Scouting provided NHL.com the list of invites to the Scouting Combine. The Combine consists of three elements (team interviews, medical examinations, physical testing) and players participate in all segments.

Among the players invited are forwards Samuel Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs in the Ontario Hockey League and Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice in the Western Hockey League, defenseman Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts in the OHL and goalie Thatcher Demko of Boston College.

Additionally, included in the mix of top international players prepared to fly to North America to participate are forwards William Nylander of Modo in Sweden and Kasperi Kapanen of Kalpa in Finland.

Another factor to consider is that Nylander could go straight to the AHL this year or next.

Same with Kapanen.

Makes for an interesting option if we do draft outside the CHL.

Additionally, included in the mix of top international players prepared to fly to North America to participate are forwards William Nylander of Modo in Sweden and Kasperi Kapanen of Kalpa in Finland.

So much for dumbells, mirrors, etc...

Archived