The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My feelings have kinda changed (thats an old post you quoted)

I would be fine with Reinhart, but Ekblad IMO has the highest potential in the draft, only player out of the top 5 with true franchise player potential IMO, but who knows if he hits it or becomes a decent #1/2 like Johnson.

I got you. I personally still think Reinhart has the biggest ceiling but I can understand why people think Ekblad does. Still, I know GMs have to be thinking the same thing. Last year Nathan Mackinnon outplaying Seth Jones didn't help either. But I got you. I guess we will all see in a couple of days who goes where anyway

I would be fine with Reinhart, but Ekblad IMO has the highest potential in the draft, only player out of the top 5 with true franchise player potential IMO, but who knows if he hits it or becomes a decent #1/2 like Johnson.

Ekblad doesn't have franchise potential IMO. He'll most likely be a #2 or even a #3 defenceman on a cup contender. A good example would be Seabrook or Bouwmeester. He is a really solid prospect but he doesn't have the "wow" factor of elite defencemen such as Doughty or Weber.

If the Canucks keep the #6 pick they will pick either Ehlers or Nylander if they believe either of those players will pan out to be 1st liners. If they don't believe Ehlers or Nylander will be future 1st liners and maybe 2nd liners than look for them to draft Ritchie or Virtanen. It all depends on what JB is thinking. Note: This is not to say Ritchie or Virtanen can't achieve 1st line status... nobody knows the future development of these players... it only matters what JB thinks their development will be!

First line skill > Second line size/grit/skill > Second line skill

If the Canucks keep the #6 pick they will pick either Ehlers or Nylander if they believe either of those players will pan out to be 1st liners. If they don't believe Ehlers or Nylander will be future 1st liners and maybe 2nd liners than look for them to draft Ritchie or Virtanen. It all depends on what JB is thinking. Note: This is not to say Ritchie or Virtanen can't achieve 1st line status... nobody knows the future development of these players... it only matters what JB thinks their development will be!

First line skill > Second line size/grit/skill > Second line skill

Ekblad doesn't have franchise potential IMO. He'll most likely be a #2 or even a #3 defenceman on a cup contender. A good example would be Seabrook or Bouwmeester. He is a really solid prospect but he doesn't have the "wow" factor of elite defencemen such as Doughty or Weber.

I disagree, I'm not saying he's going to be the next Weber, but I think he has the most potential out of anyone in the draft to be a franchise player.

If he can become that or not who knows, it might seem unlikely.

And how about his shot for wow factor? 25 goals or something like that this season, pretty impressive.

I disagree, I'm not saying he's going to be the next Weber, but I think he has the most potential out of anyone in the draft to be a franchise player.

If he can become that or not who knows, it might seem unlikely.

And how about his shot for wow factor? 25 goals or something like that this season, pretty impressive.

You still run a huge risk drafting a defender that early. I do like Ekblad, but our most nagging need at the moment seems to be a successor to the Sedins. Our prospect cupboard is pretty bare everywhere, so I think it just comes down to what the team thinks is going to need to be replaced earlier.

I think it's going to be the Sedins looking at how their production is trending. Our defensive core isn't that old (but does need work, I will admit that). I wouldn't mind grabbing a defender in the 2nd round, and then another in 2015.

I got you. I personally still think Reinhart has the biggest ceiling but I can understand why people think Ekblad does. Still, I know GMs have to be thinking the same thing. Last year Nathan Mackinnon outplaying Seth Jones didn't help either. But I got you. I guess we will all see in a couple of days who goes where anyway

Well Murray outplayed Yakupov so there's that.

I think Ekblad has franchise potential, he has the skating ability, doesn't take himself out of the position, very smart player and has a hard shot. He doesn't have the wow factor but he does everything right at a high level, he was our best defenceman at the WJC. So much poise and smarts in his game it seems like whenever he's on the ice the opposing team won't score.

Does TB regret not drafting Doughty over Stamkos?

With a Hedman/Doughty pairing they'd be an epic defensive force for two decades. And then they can work with guys like Drouin instead of Stamkos for offense.

I like Stamkos, but Doughty is a far more important player.

Ekblad>Reinhart.

With a Hedman/Doughty pairing they'd be an epic defensive force for two decades. And then they can work with guys like Drouin instead of Stamkos for offense.

Ekblad>Reinhart.

disagree. stamkos has a 60 and a 50 goal season

Ekblad>Reinhart.

LMFAO WUT??? :picard::picard::picard:

Ekblad>Reinhart.

If tampa regerts drafting Stamkos, they should have the privilege of having Stamkos on their team stripped. :picard:

Ekblad>Reinhart.

You're probably right. Knowing what we know now, Doughty would likely go before Stamkos. That being said, it is generally a much safer route to draft a forward over a defencemen in that situation. In the past 30 or so years how many D-men drafted 1-2 have been top 5 overall defenceman in the league? I can think of Doughty and Pronger. There is probably a couple more too. But it is much safer to take the top forward.

I would consider Ekblad for the Canucks if it wasn't for our current D situation. With 4 NTC and Tanev and Corrado on the way up. Reinhart could turn out to be a Toews. Reinhart has taken 41 PIM in 232 Games that is unreal. As an undrafted player he was on Canada's WJC first unit 5on3 PK (the only forward) that is impressive. His draft year PPG are better than RNH.

Hard to argue against Doughty. Standout on two gold medal and cup winning teams. And i don't even him. Wasn't he accused of rape? Not sure.

Wouldn't mind Ekblad if we landed McDavid or Eichel next year. But i think the Canucks will try very, very hard to screw themselves out of that.

Ekblad>Reinhart.

They wouldn't have Drouin to work with if they didn't draft Stamkos. The Future would most definitely been altered, obviously.

I agree but we would never draft Ekblad. We would trade up to get Reinhart. So perhaps we could trade down to 2 or 3 for Reinhart.

Archived