The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

CRAZY TIMES BRO'S!

Really hoping MG gets this retool/build on the right track.

Make or break week for Canucks as an organization.

I am not expecting anything big to go down but you gotta think with the top end talent that could be up for grabs from the nucks in Lu , Kesler, Edler if 1 or all three end up traded this could be a very very different team after the trade deadline.

I hear some people say better to make this deal at draft or in the summer at some point, having more time to max out the deal, it makes some sense. You also have to consider it is very possible a team is willing to pay more now vs in the summer, if I'm a contender having his rights for 3 playoff runs vs 2 is significant.....it's a hmmmmmmmmmmmer.

As mentioned, this is my opinion, based on the rumours and speculation out there. Kesler is a first line center (USA 1st line center), recent selke winner, top 2-way forward. They rarely make it to the open market. As mentioned, if someone wants him, they will have to overpay. The speculated offer by Pits was Sutter & Pouliot, and we don't know what else. Pouliot being one of their top 2 prospects. Therefore I counter with what i want.

If they don't match, i trade Kesler to their competition.

How would Pits like it if they had to face him on the playoffs playing for Phili, Detroit, Boston, NYR, Montreal, etc. simply put; overpay with prospect and get the chance to win the cup, or face:

Phili: Kesler, Lecavalier, Scheen/Couturier

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron, Kesler

Detroit: Datsyuk, Kesler

NYR: Richards, Kesler, Brassard/Stephan

Do you understand now how my opinion was formed and why if they want him, they will overpay and that package is realistic.

Same thing goes for Elder, If Phili doesn't want to pay that package, we trade Edler to Ottawa, or someone else fighting for the 8th position. Please keep in mind that despite the opinion of many fans, Edler is a top 2 dman. He was on the top pairing with Karlson for Sweden. We are in no hurry to trade him either. The package i proposed is mainly for B.Schenn and Laughton. I don't see L.Scheen as anything special.

Why do i think Phili would overpay?

Streit is 36 with a 5.25 mill. cap hit.

Timonen is 38 and a UFA. cap hit 6 mill.

Pronger - no comment

Coburn is top 4 dman with a 4.5 mil cap hit.

Meszaros is not worth the 4 mill cap hit.

and you're left with Grossman, Gustafsson, and L. Schenn.

Only Gustafsson and L. Schenn are younger than Edler.

The need an Edler type dmen for this year, and the next few years to be their top 2 dman.

Teams don't make 5-year decisions based simply on one season's standings, but other than that I agree that the return better be huge for both Kesler and Edler.

That wouldn't be a start to our rebuild, that would be our rebuild.

Add two young star forwards and 3 1st round picks to our already decent prospect pool, then fill in the gaps with the massive amount of cap space we would have, and we would be in very good shape.

Not to mention the biggest prospect pool ever to wheel and deal from.

I hope the reason that all of these reports are flying around is because there are multiple transactions happening and it is tricky to coordinate them.

I won't hold my breath though.

Think that old rumoured Luongo/LeCavalier swap might actually happen in order to facilitate the rest of the deal?

Then we can laugh at Buffalo and Oiler fans for DECADES haha

With Buffalo's 16 picks in the first 3 rounds since 2011 and 11 total picks in the first two rounds this year and in 2015....hard to laugh at them. even they'll be able to hit at least 1 homerun out of all of that insanity

CRAZY TIMES BRO'S!

Really hoping MG gets this retool/build on the right track. If it's all in it could make or break them for the next decade

Make or break week for Canucks as an organization.

Sadly it's the only exciting thing the Canucks have done in 3 years

3 years ago that's a great deal. Now it looks ugly indeed.

It depends on what the total deal is.

If it's true that they're willing eat some of his cap it could facilitate a few pieces going either way. This would make sense to me to offset the cap recapture of Luongo.

Vinny as a 3rd liner, assuming we're paying him that, might not be too bad. This, of course, would be predicated on adding a top 6 or two with or without moving Kesler.

It may even be possible that we take Vinny at a cut price to use him as a buyout for Philly considering they have none left. That's a potential big card that could be played here.

I think just getting out from under this rock would be a good start.

Archived