The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Heritage Classic] Ottawa @ Vancouver | 03/02/14 |

Drouin

Are you seriously trying to argue that Luongo has played as well as Lack in their last 5 starts? Really?

Let me try.

First of all, both of their last 5 starts were losses.

Lu's last 5 were a 2-4 loss to Edmonton (1 EN goal); 2-5 to Chicago (1 EN); 1-3 to Boston; 2-5 to Montreal (1 EN); 1-3 to Toronto (1 own goal off Edler).

In all these losses, there were core players missing.... in 2 of the games, 3 of the top 4 dmen (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev) were missing. Their top point getter Henrik was also missing. It's a tall order for any team (and goalie) to win in the same situation. Yet Luongo really only had 1 bad game out of the 5. In that stretch there were a couple of deflections off our own players for own goals... I forget when.

Lack's last 5 were a 1-9 blowout to Anaheim when he allowed 3 goals on 13 shots and got pulled; 3-4 loss to Winnipeg; 0-2 (1 EN) to Detroit; 0-1 to St. Louis; 1-2 SOL to Minnesota.

The difference is that Lack had a healthy team in front of him for 2 of his games.... the debacle against Anaheim and the last game vs Minnesota. Luongo did not have that luxury in his 5 games.

I will give credit to Lack for playing well in 4 of his 5 losses. Luongo did the same under more challenging conditions. So, no way can anyone say Lack played better than Luongo in each of their last 5 starts.

There's no reason to not play Luongo again, despite Lack's solid play. Luongo has proven that he's capable of the same when the team in front of him is healthy. Have people forgotten the team's amazing run in December when Lu played most of the games? Is it a coincidence that Lu's fortunes took a downturn when the team ran into serious injury problems?

IMO, Lu has done nothing to lose his starter job. His only 'sin' has been to lose with a seriously depleted team in front of him. He should be playing in the classic. If not, it would be another (undeserved) slap in the face to him.

Exactly. The Luongo apologists keep blaming the offense for 2011, despite the fact Luongo played absolutely horrible every single game in Boston. They seem to expect the forwards to be able to score 9 goals a game. Lack has been giving a struggling team a chance to win on a consistent basis, and he's "not the hot goalie" because his team couldn't score? Give me a break.

There are no Luongo apologists because there's no reason for any apologies. Just 'supporters', Heifer, just supporters! :rolleyes:

Let's face it, this event has turned into a dog's breakfast.

It's an outdoor game, but then again, maybe it's not.

It's a rematch of the 1915 Stanley Cup, but the 1994 team will be on hand also, because the 1915 thing wasn't exactly striking a cord with people (shock!) and any additional infusion of energy will do.

The price points were just wrong right from the start.

They messed up and short-changed a bunch of kids who thought they'd be going, only to hand out freebies all over town anyway.

It's a special event to everyone except the head coach who seemingly doesn't understand the plot and alienates a very popular, longstanding player.

The team seems to be in the throes of blowing itself up, and CBC seems more interested in talking about that drama than the nature of the event.

This is like the two-car parade where the two cars crash into each other. The perfect example FUBAR if there ever was one. The only thing left is for the Canucks to lose 5-0, and I hope that doesn't happen because the fans who actually shelled-out for this deserve to have something go right.

Torts likes dogs more than people - his words. Attacking another coach and now this, we are entering a dark period of this franchise, - remember Iron Mike?

I hope people chant for Lu tomorrow.

Dogs are better people than people.

As for Luongo not starting, have people not clued in yet that Luongo still wants out? There's no more making him happy so he'll stay. He's as good as gone.

Lack is the number 1 going forward.

Let's face it, this event has turned into a dog's breakfast.

It's an outdoor game, but then again, maybe it's not.

It's a rematch of the 1915 Stanley Cup, but the 1994 team will be on hand also, because the 1915 thing wasn't exactly striking a cord with people (shock!) and any additional infusion of energy will do.

The price points were just wrong right from the start.

They messed up and short-changed a bunch of kids who thought they'd be going, only to hand out freebies all over town anyway.

It's a special event to everyone except the head coach who seemingly doesn't understand the plot and alienates a very popular, longstanding player.

The team seems to be in the throes of blowing itself up, and CBC seems more interested in talking about that drama than the nature of the event.

This is like the two-car parade where the two cars crash into each other. The perfect example FUBAR if there ever was one. The only thing left is for the Canucks to lose 5-0, and I hope that doesn't happen because the fans who actually shelled-out for this deserve to have something go right.

lmao

Lack has done well they need to win games to get in the playoffs and stay. They're probably showcasing Eddie for a big trade.

And what exactly did luongo say? The post with the picture of Kes? Somebody might need to explain this one to me I don't get what hits so close to hoem with gillis and torts. Keep your enemies close was a reference to the Olympic rivalry between kes and lu .

nvm i saw it now. I can see torts being mad about that lol.

people need to realize the NHL is a business

From a pure business side you provide the clients with what they want: in a high profile gimmick game you play the franchise goalie: Luongo.

Besides, if this were reversed a lot of people would say Luongo isn't hot despite the numbers, he was just the beneficiary of good defence. There are always two sides on CDC and often the same facts are used to argue opposing positions.

And part of running a business is the business of people.

Lack would have zero ill will not getting the call for this game.

But antagonizing the fans and your supposed number one goalie? How is that good for business.

This is true. While bold moves that can be seen as disrespectful to honorable players can reap benefits it also runs it's fair share of risks especially if you are creating tension within your own organization. Their are numerous examples of this derailing seemingly good rosters in every major sport.

With that being said if you have a back up plan such as Lack and if he works out then I doubt the fans and the players other than Lu will leave or keep complaining.

With that being said when the Canucks signed Torts it should have been obvious stuff like this would happen. On both of his previous teams he had numerous incidents where he would bench or scratch star players based on a short cold spell or hot streak from someone else and they would not take it well and it isn't a secret that both times he was fired there had been numerous reports of tension between him and some of his own players. This is the same guy whose last playoff series ended with him scratching Brad Richards his final 2 playoff games and giving him 12 mins, 10 mins, and 8 mins of ice time in the 3 games leading up to that. This is what Torts simply is.

Archived