The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter from Mike Gillis to Canucks STH

Visp

There's no 74 mile long line up. I've spoken to dozens of STH's who are all dropping their tickets, many of whom have held them for 15 or 20 years. We aren't Toronto, Montreal, or New York. Those markets will sell tickets whether the team is winning or losing. Vancouver has a proven track record of dumping the team the second they start losing.

I personally know many small business owners on the waiting list, some have been waiting for 5 plus years. We are exactly Toronto, Montreal and New York, you don't have to believe me or Forbes, we all get an opinion.

You obviously don't remember the Messier era. The team was in very real danger of relocating.

That's true, but most Canadian teams were in danger during that time, not to mention that the NHL itself. The Canadian dollar was suffering majorly at the time (At one point in 1998, you could buy a Canadian dollar for .63 cents US) and that coupled with how poorly the Canucks were doing and you have a recipe for a potential move. As soon as the dollar went back up, we were no longer a threat of being relocated.

We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed.
While this is partially correct, the most important aspect, 'better', is missing here. You can get younger, faster and stronger and still ultimately get worse. ie. Don't forget about the skill, Mike.

Matthias is a big, strong center, yes. But he's a 3rd liner, tops. We'll need more skill, combined with speed, size and youth if we are to win a cup. A LOT more.

There's no 74 mile long line up. I've spoken to dozens of STH's who are all dropping their tickets, many of whom have held them for 15 or 20 years. We aren't Toronto, Montreal, or New York. Those markets will sell tickets whether the team is winning or losing. Vancouver has a proven track record of dumping the team the second they start losing.

I hope what you're saying is true because I've been on the wait list for a few years now and I would love the opportunity to buy it from the people who are willing to drop out because of this funk.

We're a cap spending team in one of the biggest markets in the league. This isn't going to go on forever. If someone has held season tickets for 15 - 20 years, they've been with this team through the late 90's and early 2000's when the team was much worse than they are today. If they're fed up with this team now and are willing to drop their tickets 3 years removed from a Stanley Cup Finals appearance, be my guest. It just makes the wait list that much shorter for me

Basically lost out on Bjugstad, settled for Matthias, and is selling that as a win.

It's a process, but he didn't say how long it will take. (Hint: It will go past whatever 'window' the current vets can possibly allow.)

I don't remember reading that in the original post. Could you point it out to me?

As we move towards this goal we will continue to invest in your arena and Canucks fan experience.
This is an interesting one. Indicates that perhaps a move towards utilizing upcoming drafts to acquire more franchise-type talent may be in the works, and the all losing in the meantime will be made tolerable by having a kick-ass arena.

I believe the fanbase can definitely buy into that, if that is indeed the approach.

Frankly, it's inevitable that this happens as the team is well beyond the Sedins' ability to carry now, so we might as well get it out of the way asap. Good timing, as the 2015 draft is killer.

But if the plan is to utilize our current, shallow prospect pool instead, as what the start of the letter goes into, well, that's just a non-starter. There's no top-tier elite talent there, with all due respect to that list of prospects.

Matthias is a big, strong center, yes. But he's a 3rd liner 2nd liner, tops. We'll need more skill, combined with speed, size and youth if we are to win a cup. A LOT more.

Agree with what you said except the part I pointed out. Matthias is already a bonified 3rd line player so in no way can he be a 3rd line player at tops lol. He's a 2nd line player tops and currently an excellent 3rd liner.

"In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision. "

if anyone has good articulate questions they want asked i will do my best to get them asked during the webcast :)

While this is partially correct, the most important aspect, 'better', is missing here. You can get younger, faster and stronger and still ultimately get worse. ie. Don't forget about the skill, Mike.

Matthias is a big, strong center, yes. But he's a 3rd liner, tops. We'll need more skill, combined with speed, size and youth if we are to win a cup. A LOT more.

Yeah ,Gillis has not been able to process that which means 21st place and 28th best PP is where the process currently resides.

I am one of those season ticket holders that will be dropping my subscription. I pay a very significant amount of money to watch the Canucks play and the decisions that this club has made (which started with dismantling the 2011 SCF group, before they were given a chance to respond) has disgusted me. We have continuously downgraded our on-ice personnel, we have fired one of our best coaches in our history only to hire what has turned out to be the worst coach in our history and although Mr. Gillis speaks of his desire to win a Stanley cup, this franchise, in the hands of MG, Tortorella and the Aquillini family, is in a complete free-fall.

I used to love saying I was a Canucks fan, born and bred. Now I have to say that my allegiance is being threatened. This does not make me a bandwagoner, I have paid more than my fair share of money to watch this team grow from Marc Crawford's wonderful years to AV's dominance, and for no apparent reason, other than ignorance on our managers part, they have torn this premier franchise apart. MG quote's Anaheim's brilliance in a rebuild. How is that the team to set a standard with? We have had as much, if not more success than Anaheim for 5-6 years. Not to mention, their rebuild involved bringing in players that complimented Getzlaf and Perry and playing a style of hockey that nurtures their play.

The Sedin's are not grinders, they are first-class, world-class, skill-oriented players, just like the Canucks have always prided themselves of being. My allegiance is broken and this club will struggle to have consistent fan support (financially) if they continue down this MG an Tortorella path.

#Firetorts #FireMG

Archived