The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter from Mike Gillis to Canucks STH

Visp

This is one of the dumbest most ignorant comments I have seen on here. People can't just afford to pay 12-15k each year to go to Canucks games, especially if they live in Vancouver. There are things such as bills, taxes, insurance, mortgages, etc...

I personally don't have an interest in getting Season Tickets because I would rather just go to 2-3 games a year only (haven't gone in 2 years). For you to say just cut back on luxuries or budget differently is stupid.

Not so stupid when you consider a number of people go to only a portion of the games and sell their tickets to recoup a lot of that cost. It might be tougher to sell the extra tickets while we aren't winning as we have been since early 2000 but still you can afford it if you split with another person like many do and you budget well while selling extra tickets.

Aquilinis make me sick to my stomach. I'm pretty sure they devised this plan for MG to write out to the season ticket members in order to retain their $$$.

:picard:

Clearly you aren't a STH, since there's a letter out to them every year.

But continue to believe the worst possible explanation.

Not so stupid when you consider a number of people go to only a portion of the games and sell their tickets to recoup a lot of that cost. It might be tougher to sell the extra tickets while we aren't winning as we have been since early 2000 but still you can afford it if you split with another person like many do and you budget well while selling extra tickets.

Most season ticket holders I've talked to this year have been stuck with their tickets because nobody wants to buy them. It's only going to get worse.

Most season ticket holders I've talked to this year have been stuck with their tickets because nobody wants to buy them. It's only going to get worse.

Never said it was easy, but certainly plenty of people have made most of if not all of their money back selling a lot of their tickets in the past. Most people just look to make a little back and see a fair number of games, but it makes a difference in whether or not you can afford season tickets.

Honestly, we are not really doing that yet. I mean we did with Horvat. But Dalpe, Welsh, Stanton, Markstrom are not grade A, blue chip, take the bet to the bank prospects. Its fishing. Or prospecting for gold. That can make your rich, but it takes a long time to find more than a gold spec in a big river. Spending all that time at the river also distracts you from working hard at a real job that constantly pays dividends.

We are putting rookies with upside into the lineup who have not been able to prove themselves elsewhere. Hoping to find the upside that has not surfaced yet. That instead of veterans who know how to play and help the team. Last years free agent crew took all time low salaries or did not even sign. A Simon Gagne, cough Mayson Raymond, Brad Boyes, Ron Hainsey, Peter Mueller would have improved this team a lot more in the present.

We'll have to see if gambling this year pays off big with these long shots over time?

Those kinds of players aren't easy to get, they don't grow on trees, you either have to suck, or trade away something very important/valuable to get them.

And I don't see any of those players as really adding much, Gagne isn't in the NHL, Raymond's time here was done, the other\'s are nothing spectacular.

Those kinds of players aren't easy to get, they don't grow on trees, you either have to suck, or trade away something very important/valuable to get them.

And I don't see any of those players as really adding much, Gagne isn't in the NHL, Raymond's time here was done, the other\'s are nothing spectacular.

Yup, people think Gagne (or anyone of the other UFA names) would sign for cheap and suddenly be our saviour, staying healthy the whole while. Ditto for Raymond who was never going to get offered $2.5M because the cap was dropping and he wasn't going to stay for $1M either. Maybe things would have been different if we could have bought out Booth, but that's beyond Gillis' control.

Unless you're surrounding the Sedins with Crosby, they will only prevent a proper re-tool.

The rest is just PR.

listen, crosby can polish kunitz but he can't polish a turd, let alone two at the same time. The rebuild cannot happen when the sedins and burrows charge 19mil for <30 points combined.

"In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision. "

if anyone has good articulate questions they want asked i will do my best to get them asked during the webcast :)

Mike, during those moments when you think about the Sedin contract extensions, do you slam ungodly amounts of bourbon until you pass out like I do?

Reading between the lines, Gillis is not going to be fired. In order for him to send this letter to the Season Ticket Holders he has to go through channels. Meaning he has ownership's permission to do it. Aquilini was in the war room during the trade deadline. He went to placate Luongo after the Schneider trade. He was widely reported as being behind the Torts hiring (although rumor has it the old man was really the decision maker). He is working hand in hand with Gillis. Gillis won't be fired. Gillis and Aquilini will fire Torts to signal change to the ticket holders.

Relax you bunch of drama queens....the sun will still shine tomorrow...well maybe not in Vancouver.

Gillis has done a good job.The cdc thinks he should be able to turn the ship around on a dime but a juggernaut takes time to turn around.

It is not Mike's fault the the NHL was full of crap when they said the league was going to a new wide open game without hooking,holding and interference and then changed the rules in the 2011 playoffs.Once they did they had to stay the course since.

Mike has been slowly turning around the titanic before it hits the iceberg that the NHL has placed in the waters.

I beleive that if ownership and last but not least the fans,stay the course and are patient with the turn around they will be rewarded for such.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that Gillis didn't actually write that, and that the signature was stamped on.

"Our mission remains the same: to win the Stanley Cup. Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully."

I'd say that's Gillis talking, I'm not going to defend that signature, though. I'm still confused by it.

listen, crosby can polish kunitz but he can't polish a turd, let alone two at the same time.

The rebuild cannot happen when the sedins and burrows charge 19mil for <30 points combined.

Before the secondary scoring implosion(Santo's injury) the Twins were performing on par with their historical scoring rate.

You never got the memo. It's not a rebuild,it's a process.

Relax you bunch of drama queens....the sun will still shine tomorrow...well maybe not in Vancouver.

Gillis has done a good job.The cdc thinks he should be able to turn the ship around on a dime but a juggernaut takes time to turn around.

It is not Mike's fault the the NHL was full of crap when they said the league was going to a new wide open game without hooking,holding and interference and then changed the rules in the 2011 playoffs.Once they did they had to stay the course since.

Mike has been slowly turning around the titanic before it hits the iceberg that the NHL has placed in the waters.

I beleive that if ownership and last but not least the fans,stay the course and are patient with the turn around they will be rewarded for such.

Living in Mike's pool house,I take it?

Reading between the lines, Gillis is not going to be fired. In order for him to send this letter to the Season Ticket Holders he has to go through channels. Meaning he has ownership's permission to do it. Aquilini was in the war room during the trade deadline. He went to placate Luongo after the Schneider trade. He was widely reported as being behind the Torts hiring (although rumor has it the old man was really the decision maker). He is working hand in hand with Gillis. Gillis won't be fired. Gillis and Aquilini will fire Torts to signal change to the ticket holders.

He sends a letter to the STH every year. This is nothing new.

What scares me the most is that when Gillis first got here he kept stating how good of a franchise Detroit was and how he wants to copy it. After the SCF loss he stated he wanted to follow the Boston system. Now he is looking at the Ducks system????

I don't know about you guys, but I want management that is setting trends in this league, not following them.

Generally I try to stay away from the endless Gillis hate threads, but this I do tend to agree with. HIs moves are looking more and more reactive. Not something I can get behind.

Interesting that there's no mention of Torts in the letter, after the roll call of prospects.

No I didn't say never in the future. But given the Sedins have vanished offensively and Kesler being a somewhat injury-prone island at the moment, i'm wondering what possible plan is even available to turn the current core group into winners? Esp. when we've seen their best already in 2011 and that wasn't even good enough.

The Sedins have vanished this season, there's no denying that. But I didn't realize players were not allowed to have bad seasons. Do you want me to pull up a list of star players that have had bad seasons and bounced back? I'm not saying they'll ever get back to their prime, but to think that this is how they're going to continue to play for the rest of their years is overdramatic. Kes is an injury-prone island that was still one of, if not the hottest commodity at the trade deadline. I guess the GMs of the three teams that were purportedly interested in them (Pit - Shero, Det - Holland, Phi - Holmgren) know less about Kesler and his worth in the NHL than you do.

I have a question for you now: Since you're referring to 'our plan', could you as an insider please let me know what the that plan even is? Because right now it's fairly unclear. Let me specific though: 'Our plan to WIN THE CUP.' Because there's a difference between merely icing a competitive team and one that can win a cup.

I'm not an insider but I can give you an example because he even states who his example is. Here's the direct quote from Gillis "Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully."

Despite the fact that he even says it, you decide to ignore it. Is it just easier to just bash his plan instead of taking some time to try and understand it?

So let's take a look at Anaheim!

Ducks win the cup in 2007 after finishing 2nd in the west.

2008 - Anaheim Ducks finish 4th in the west. They then get knocked out in the 1st round.

2009 - Ducks finish 8th in the West

2010 - Ducks finish 11th in the West

2011 - Ducks finish 4th in the West

2012 - Ducks finish 13th in the West

2013 - Ducks finish 2nd in the West

Here are a few of the trades that took place during Anaheims 'retool' that helped get them to where they are today.

Bobby Ryan Traded for Silvferberg, Noesen and a 1st round pick

Kent Huskins and Travis Moen traded for Bonino, Pielmier and a 4th rounder

Chris Pronger and Ryan Dingle Traded for Lucas Sbisa, Joffrey Lupul and 2 1st rounders (One of these picks turned in to Kyle Palmieri, the other Emerson Etem. Lupul would eventually be traded as part of a package deal for Beauchemin)

A 2nd round pick for Cogliano

These are some examples of Anaheims retool. Recognize the names in bold? There are more if you want to just spend a little bit of effort and understand it yourself.

Do we have any players that are on a Pronger level of value? I wish. But we do have players available to trade that are worth more than Bobby Ryan, Travis Moen, Kent Huskins, Ryan Dingle and a 2nd round pick. Now if they can get that sort of a return with just a little bit of patience, why can't we do the same? Do we not have the assets to make those trades?

If the master plan - to win the cup, that is - is to ice this core group and throw in whatever signings we can muster and throw in some underaged prospects such as Horvat in way too early to carry any significant load, or rely on whatever trades we can pull off to complement Kesler (even though Kesler very likely wants out), then i'm sorry, but that's a master plan that resembles Calgary's master plan.

Again, you say the 'core group' like each and every single one of the players on the current roster is going to be here next season, ALONG with our prospects. I'm not going to speculate on trades, but how are we going to ice a team of over 30 players? We just simply can't. We also can't afford that against our cap. That means some players have to go.

But I am asking you what it is. Enlighten me. Enlighten me on why or how the moves done by this team since 2011, including several rather embarrassing ones, have all been part of the same 'master plan' while you're at it. Hey, i'm applauding it if it works, but how about clueing the fanbase in on what the frack the direction even is?

That's the problem. He's stated multiple times what the plan is. It seems like you either know what the plan is and just don't like it, or you just found it easier to bash than put in a bit of effort to try and understand. It seems like some of you expect him to draw out a diagram full of sticky notes with all of the exact steps to his plan along with a powerpoint presentation on a USB stick to take for you. Give me a freaking break.

And on top of all of it, how many GMs give their STHs a chance to have a webcast with him and ask questions. Most fans would be ecstatic with that sort of transparency and personability. They would see that as a redeeming quality in a GM. Here we s*** on it instead

Archived