The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks will be mediocre as long as the Sedins are on this team

tonimator#19

Its pretty simple. They are now elite second liners on a contending team.

Contending for what..?....7th-8th place, a first round exit and 18th-22nd draft pick..?...And let me guess...if the Sedins are on the second line then your first line must be...drum rolllll please...Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen...?

I agree with those contracts. Bad contracts which shouldn't of been given. However they are on this team for four more years and for them to be impacting this team in a good way Torts has to get the best out of them. This means offensive zone starts, no PK duty and then we may see them get back to PPG players again.( well Henrik anyway I think Daniel may reach .75 PPG pace)

Just posted this in another topic but still applies:

Bad year for everyone. Let's give the twins another go next year. They have been our most consistent players for years. One year blimp on point production is not a signal that it is doom and gloom. I only have ever expected point per game or close to point per game for the Twins. Their title years surprised me!

I would use Anaheim of 2011-12 as the example. Bad year. Getzlaf had only 57 pts in 80 games and minus 11. Perry had 60 pts in 80 games, minus 7 but the bright side: 37 goals. Ryan had 57 pts in 80 games. Team ranked 13th in the West. Aging Selanne (42!) lead the team with 66 pts. If they had the wrong mentality they could have given Getzlaf and Perry away. In fact rumors said they were, but management believed in their top two players and allowed them to play it out. Ryan was finally sacrificed.

Granted they are younger, but even so. One year shouldn't mean we give up on the twins. Let's fix the team. Let's get some younger players into the roster and trade some other vets. This is the twins team and they are two guys who I want the next generation of Canucks to simulate.

Here's where Gillis went wrong, allowing no movement clauses for Sedins and Luongo plus giving them contracts that are absolutely difficult to deal with years later when you want to make changes, at least they were able to get Lu down to Fla where he wanted to be.

But I think the Sedins will forever be Canucks until they retire, much like Linden (aside the silly Islanders trade) and Naslund (aside his making the retirement home the Rangers, just like every other player that's about to retire).

Well considering the success the team has had is due in large part to the Sedins, I'd have to disagree with your post OP. They helped bring the franchise their first ever President's trophies, Art Ross Trophies and Hart Trophies. Must be nice to feel entitled and bash the very players responsible for the Canucks success but it's typical of CDC's "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

I don't disagree they are in decline but are still useful as mentors, 70 point producers when healthy as well as attracting free agents which wouldn't happen if CDC got their way since why the hell would anyone sign here if we treat players the way you're suggesting of the Sedins in a market that isn't that attractive for all the travel, etc. And since we are retooling/rebuilding it really doesn't matter about the Sedin's contracts since no trade or retool/rebuild process is going to make us contenders overnight. It will still take a few years and by then the Sedins will have retired and those that supported them will enjoy their jersey retirement ceremony celebrating careers and achievements played entirely with the Canucks.

You put the Sedins on a team like the ducks and they win a cup, but they are not franchise players and should not be built around at all any more. It is the issue with the Canucks. They are not first liners and anymore and as long as management thinks they are this team will go no where

so we just trades our best goalies in the history of the franchise and now people want the sedins gone.... I wonder why would any player choose to play for the canucks... they will never ever get appreciated. you would think after years of great performance by them they would get the benefit of doubt fot this bad season where everyone on the team is struggling but no.... i really dont want to see the whole luongo saga again.

Man some of you people are ridiculous.

Look confidence is a funny thing, I thought we all learned that this season.

This is the first year in a long time the Sedins went pointless for more than 2 or 3 games.

Does this mean the Sedins have lost it? Well look at the rest of the team... Edler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, etc. They've also been "mediocre" this year.

Have you forgotten how good this team was at the beginning of the season? Everyone was praising Torts, Sedins were lighting it up with Kesler, Santorelli was sparking our second line, our defense was leading the league in points.

And how about December? That streak was very fun to watch!

So considering the majority of this team have had a mediocre year, I don't believe for one second the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, or any of the players underachieving this year are old and slow.

I think this year has involved so many changes and distractions that this team has been off and on and unable to get going.

Next year we are bringing in more youth, UFA's, players will be healthy again, potentially more scoring power from a big piece being moved and most likely less distractions than this year.

so we just trades our best goalies in the history of the franchise and now people want the sedins gone.... I wonder why would any player choose to play for the canucks... they will never ever get appreciated. you would think after years of great performance by them they would get the benefit of doubt fot this bad season where everyone on the team is struggling but no.... i really dont want to see the whole luongo saga again.

I can never understand the Canucks' fanbase, I was born & raised in Vancouver, watched Vancouver since the late 70's and went to their SCF's in 82 season against the Islanders (I loved watching the Islanders at the time because of players like Mike Bossy and eventually my favorite all time player Pat LaFontaine). And the saying "the grass is greener on the other side" holds true here, I moved to Calgary and even when the Flames are doing badly, the fans are still there having a good time and I have started to understand why fans around the NHL dislike the Canucks' fans especially Calgary's, when things aren't going well the Canucks fans get bitter, I remember the atmosphere in GM place (the name at the time) was gloom when the Canucks were having a bad game against the Senators one year that I couldn't even finish my nachos and we left early.

And then in the past couple years, people like Shane O'Brien and Milan Lucic gets picked on by people when they go to bars and then they say they hate the city now, no surprise. I don't even go downtown after 6pm anymore.

I've been pretty active bashing the Sedins for the last couple of months all over these boards. They had disappeared off the score sheet and become lethargic.

However Henrik has, in the last few games, found his mojo again. The addition of Nicklas Jensen to the top line and Burrows reignition have helped one of the greatest passers in the game find his touch.

Add to that his support of the coach, and there is not much to complain about with Henrik. He is doing what needs to be done.

The real question mark in the equation is Daniel Sedin. Being injured keeps him off the radar, but before the Heritage Classic, he was the definition of lacklustre by previous standards set by himself.

When he returns, the pressure to find his scoring touch should be immense. He is the highest paid sniper on the team, and will need to live up to his salary or questions will arise about his ability.

Hopefully he does, as the issue of having to deal with two players connected by blood and contract clauses trending in opposite directions, might be too much for this team to bear during a rebuild.

OP is absolutely correct.

Let's put things in perspective.

Going by position wise, the Canucks have the following:

1 top shelf 2nd line center (Henrik Sedin).

1 midrange 2nd line center (Ryan Kesler)

2 top shelf 2nd line wingers (Daniel Sedin), (Chris Higgins)

That's it. They don't have a quality first line player on the team. They could ice a fantastic 2nd line, but that's it. You can't win if you're paying 14 million for 2nd line performance.

I have started to understand why fans around the NHL dislike the Canucks' fans especially Calgary's, when things aren't going well the Canucks fans get bitter

How many cups do the Flames have? Vancouver had 15 straight losing seasons. Calgary won a cup in their 8th year of existence.

What on earth do they know about suffering? No Canadian team has went as long as the Canucks did without either relocating or winning a cup.

It's been 44 years now. If you were 21 and saw them play in their first season, you'd be collecting social security today. That's a long time.

When we talk about moving players and changing up this team to add youth, size, and speed.

The players that are the slowest, and oldest are the Sedins.

They are the reason why the Canucks are probably going to move their best player in Ryan Kesler and probably the only player on this team that can be an impact player.

They now cannot be moved and heres hoping they retire in 2 years maximum.

Until then, I think all fans and even the Canucks management know they are in for some mediocre years as long as the Sedins are our 'top' players.

The only bright spot I see from this is Gillis starting the rebuilding and gutting this team to stock up on young talent.

I know this is a repeittive topic but I'm so frustrated as to why Gillis was so blind to see that the Sedins were not players that could lead this team to the promise land and his willingness to sign them so early to long deals when he could have used this summer to retool.

They were no where to be found in the Cup Finals and were cherry picked to start in the offensive zone all the time under Coach A.V. There's a reason why they don't get much respect around the league by other players.

Let's hope Gillis finally realizes what the Sedins are and what this team is going forward and starts the rebuild.

Bieksa is still on the team. Doesn't that mean you weren't watching Canucks games and weren't going to post here anymore?

Archived