The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs Choking Again

Jiggs50

As long as Kessel and Dion are the major pieces the Laffers will always have an issue. Look at the way Kessel gave up the puck last night and then gave up on the backcheck. Pretty pathetic. No doubt he has talent but I don't think a CUP winner can be built around him.

This is why, imo, his game invokes Pastry.

4672apple_turnover.jpg

His -49 "turnover" differential.

It all depends if Peter Holland is ready to play in the top 6. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him between Lupul and Clarkson but that's not really a step forward.

One of Lupul and Kadri will go, maybe Kadri to the Islanders for Frans Nielsen? Wouldn't mind picking up Hamonic either.

Give Gauthier his 9 games imo and see where he's at, and rotate Percy in as the 7th D.

We have enough tradeable assets in Reimer, Kadri, Gardiner to get something done.

As for re-signing, definitely McClement and Raymond. Their two way play will be needed. I'd like to see Kulemin back if we move Lupul, he hasn't been deployed in a scoring role since he potted 30.

Bring Komarov back as well, that guy was a catalyst for us and an absolute physical beast. He may be ready to anchor the 3rd line, look at his performance in Sochi.

Just curious what Toronto has that will land them Travis Hamonic?

I can understand why you wouldn't mind picking him up, but realistically, you'd better be prepared to "strip mine" in order to get him.

Hamonic is an absolute stud at 23 who plays 20 minutes a game 5 on 5 alone. He also leads the Isles in shorthanded ice time, and is 3rd among their blueliners in pp minutes. A 23 year old who handles 24 minutes a night on a team that the Leafs could soon be watching from behind for years to come.

He is the cornerstone of the NYI backend - I think you have next to no chance of acquiring Hamonic. If you're serious, I think you better be prepared to include players like Bernier or Reilly.

It's amazing what proper drafting and development can do for a team.

People sometimes forget that while Nyquist and Tatar appear to have been gems that have just dropped into the Wings laps, Nyquest is 24 and was drafted 121'st overall in 2008 while Tatar is 23 and was drafted 60th overall in the 2009 draft. They have been developed and groomed the Detroit way, by playing in the minors for a few years so they hit the ground running when they join the lineup as "rookies".

Also helps that they have a great coach.

Could you imagine the oilers if they developed all the top draft picks properly and all of them came into the NHL next season.

Probably would have had some AHL championships under their belt and a winning attitude.

but they chose to toss em into the fire right away trying to rush the rebuild.

I don't hate the Leafs or their fans so no I don't love this. I feel bad for their fans. I mean we wont make the playoffs either but at least we had some warning, they lost 8 straight and fell from 3rd in the East... Thats gotta be hard on the fans.

Naw we need more Canadian teams to make it to the playoffs. I think in Canada we should at least cheer on other Canadian teams so long as they are not playing our own.

Cup needs to come back to Canada one day, hopefully with the Canucks but at any rate it needs to come home!

I don't hate the Leafs or their fans so no I don't love this. I feel bad for their fans. I mean we wont make the playoffs either but at least we had some warning, they lost 8 straight and fell from 3rd in the East... Thats gotta be hard on the fans.

you know whats hard on the fan? losing a game 7 scf to bullies. I dint get any sympathy votes after that loss (I live in Ontario). in fact I was kicked while I was down. still getting kicked. so eff the leafs. eff their fan base. they can go down qith their ship that was NEVER afloat to begin with.

you know whats hard on the fan? losing a game 7 scf to bullies. I dint get any sympathy votes after that loss (I live in Ontario). in fact I was kicked while I was down. still getting kicked. so eff the leafs. eff their fan base. they can go down qith their ship that was NEVER afloat to begin with.

but they had so much hope after last season the first time in leafs history the fans could watch them in the playoffs in HD. Maybe next time they make it they will be watching in 4k HD or holographic 3D..

It must suck to know that your team is disappointing the largest fan base in the NHL every year with no hope for the future. Oh well I am all for them being successful as long as the nucks are first.

As soon as the Laffs choked in game 7 last year I bet my cousin $100 they wouldn't make the playoffs, literally within 1 minute after the OT goal. They only made it to the playoffs last year because it was a short season and they didn't have time to start their yearly tanking.

Just curious what Toronto has that will land them Travis Hamonic?

I can understand why you wouldn't mind picking him up, but realistically, you'd better be prepared to "strip mine" in order to get him.

Hamonic is an absolute stud at 23 who plays 20 minutes a game 5 on 5 alone. He also leads the Isles in shorthanded ice time, and is 3rd among their blueliners in pp minutes. A 23 year old who handles 24 minutes a night on a team that the Leafs could soon be watching from behind for years to come.

He is the cornerstone of the NYI backend - I think you have next to no chance of acquiring Hamonic. If you're serious, I think you better be prepared to include players like Bernier or Reilly.

Bernier and Reilly are the two bright spots for the Leafs IMO...the rest of the core must be considered a a disappointment....Interesting how Kadri is always brought up in trade rumours ,it's not he first time the Leafs have given up on their draft picks (Steen and Rask).

Looking at the rest of the schedule,the Leafs have easier opponents than the Canucks down the final stretch...

Posted this in the Reimer trade thread, but thought it's worth a repost haha.

Naylor: “Dregs, if things got really desperate in Edmonton and we know the expectations are there, ‘Hey, we’re not the young Oilers. This is not development, this is not moral victories and we want to win,’ and they’re off to a rough start. They play tonight in Long Island. If things got really desperate there, and they said, ‘We got to do something. This goaltending thing is just a disaster. We’re willing to peel off a Nail Yakupov for a Reimer,’ would the Leafs do that?

Dreger: “I don’t think so.”

Naylor: “Wow.”

Dreger:I don’t think so because I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov. And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy........I don’t think Toronto would consider it. I really don’t.”

Regarding Bernier and Reimer:

"I’d like to have both of these guys if I have a chance of contending for the Stanely Cup, or you’re certainly in the playoff mix."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/18/what-darren-dreger-actually-said-about-the-leafs-not-wanting-nail-yakupov-in-a-trade-for-james-reimer/

Kool%2Baid.jpg

Dreger revealed as a puppet AND a tool .. watching all these TO based 'fan-boy' media types regurgitate the crap they been feeding everyone all year is hilarious .. I am not sure if it's Kypreos or Phaneuf that are gonna break down and bawl first .. the odds favor Dion, I hear!

Posted this in the Reimer trade thread, but thought it's worth a repost haha.

Naylor: “Dregs, if things got really desperate in Edmonton and we know the expectations are there, ‘Hey, we’re not the young Oilers. This is not development, this is not moral victories and we want to win,’ and they’re off to a rough start. They play tonight in Long Island. If things got really desperate there, and they said, ‘We got to do something. This goaltending thing is just a disaster. We’re willing to peel off a Nail Yakupov for a Reimer,’ would the Leafs do that?

Dreger: “I don’t think so.”

Naylor: “Wow.”

Dreger:I don’t think so because I don’t know that Toronto or any team in the National Hockey League, including Edmonton, is sold on Nail Yakupov. And that sounds like a pretty stinging indictment of this young man, first overall in 2012, but he just hasn’t developed to a point yet where you’re going to spend an asset that you can trust to take a shot on this guy........I don’t think Toronto would consider it. I really don’t.”

Regarding Bernier and Reimer:

"I’d like to have both of these guys if I have a chance of contending for the Stanely Cup, or you’re certainly in the playoff mix."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/10/18/what-darren-dreger-actually-said-about-the-leafs-not-wanting-nail-yakupov-in-a-trade-for-james-reimer/

Kool%2Baid.jpg

LOL. Leafs wouldn't take Reimer for Yakupov??? Yea right. If it was straight across they'd take that deal and run for the hills.

Dreger has officially lost any credibility he's ever had.

LOL. Leafs wouldn't take Reimer for Yakupov??? Yea right. If it was straight across they'd take that deal and run for the hills.

Dreger has officially lost any credibility he's ever had.

To be fair that was back in october before Riemer struggled and Yakupov was back to back healthy scratches.

JVR-bozak-Kessel

lupul-Kadri-Yakupov

raymond-bolland-Clarkson

Would make them a worse puck possession team (If that's possible)

To be fair that was back in october before Riemer struggled and Yakupov was back to back healthy scratches.

JVR-bozak-Kessel

lupul-Kadri-Yakupov

raymond-bolland-Clarkson

Would make them a worse puck possession team (If that's possible)

You can try to be fair all you want - it doesn't make it any less laughable.

I like Reimer, but Dreger is clearly drunken on blue homer juice there.

If he were worth more than a 1st overall pick in the eyes of the Leafs, they would not have been rushing out to upgrade him, simple as that.

Clarkson ends his 17 game goal scoring drought 3-1 Leafs looks like they will win but they should win this game

only 5 games left and other teams from the bottom catching up i think the games in hand will ultimately screw Toronto just like Vancouver

well I knew they were done 5 weeks ago. The Leafs on the other hand, less then 2 weeks ago were 3rd place in the Eastern conference. That is a choke. We were well out of it, 5 weeks ago with some fans calling the tank to come out. The leafs 8 game losing streak is a free fall.

Archived