The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Still Alive

Strombone1

Tanking for a higher pick was always kind of dumb, I thought. At best we may have been able to pick 6th, at worst(If we miss the playoffs, we pick 13th, via NJ having to suck it XD) this not being a particulary deep draft, I don't see a ton of distinction between players drafted 6th to 13th.

That being said, if we somehow, against almost all odds, do make the playoffs...our first round match-up would be against one of STL, ANA, SJ, CHI. The term "Pick your poison" seems almost generous in this scenario :P

Couldn't help but laugh at this:

I guess it comes with the territory when Booth doesnt score for about 30 games plus not really contributing much at all...and you are making 4.25 million a season thus screwing up our cap space because we cant get rid of him.

Torts should be able to figure that out.

3 thoughts:

That week where we had the 2 games vs Phoenix and Dallas.. If we would have won those games we would be in the playoffs

Remember the opponents we have played recently, don't get too stoked

If Phoenix makes it and Vancouver doesn't, think about how Hanzal single handedly destroyed us

I hate to be "that guy" but its basically impossible that we make the playoffs. If phoenix even manages to win 5 of its last 9 games(which is very likely with the way they are playing right now) it eliminates us from the playoffs. We are without Henrik, Santo, Tanev and don't have Lu anymore. That alone should tell everyone enough about our situation.

We have already dropped from the 8th overall draft position and now if we win tomorrow we will jump a large group of teams.

This is just pointless. No one understands right now and is calling the "tankers stupid" but when we are at the draft everyone will understand what a waste this is.

It's still not to late to get a top 9 pick but making the playoffs? way to late for that.

Isn't being in a playoff fight more fun than just writing off the season and hoping for a draft pick?

Nice to see some of you back from the edge of misery.

To the stalwarts who never say die...keeping the torch lit for others to come back out of the darkness and into the light.

I hate to be "that guy" but its basically impossible that we make the playoffs. If phoenix even manages to win 5 of its last 9 games (which is very likely with the way they are playing right now) it eliminates us from the playoffs.

Not sure how you did that math...

If Phoenix wins 5 they'll have 92.

Vancouver has 8 games left and can hit 94 if they win all of them.

I hate to be "that guy" but its basically impossible that we make the playoffs. If phoenix even manages to win 5 of its last 9 games(which is very likely with the way they are playing right now) it eliminates us from the playoffs. We are without Henrik, Santo, Tanev and don't have Lu anymore. That alone should tell everyone enough about our situation.

We have already dropped from the 8th overall draft position and now if we win tomorrow we will jump a large group of teams.

This is just pointless. No one understands right now and is calling the "tankers stupid" but when we are at the draft everyone will understand what a waste this is.

I used to think like this about 10 days ago - wasnt hoping that they would lose but I was satisfied after a loss knowing that they improved their draft position. But if you look at past drafts.... picks 8-20 can turn out to be a crap shoot. The Top pick usually is a good to great NHL player picks 2-5 usually turn out to be solid NHLers...but outside of that many times its hard to tell.

I was reading draft predictions for last year - more than one "expert" had Shinkaruk above Horvat....many had Horvat at around14th or 15th pick. The year Kassian got drafted he was ranked anywhere from about 10th to off the radar not even in the first round. he got picked upper middle pack of the round.

Point is that if your not landing in the top 5 or 6 and you miss the playoffs the team that picks 9th isnt that much better off than the team that picks 12th or say 14th...its a crap shoot...especially in weaker drafts like this one...

Id rather see them end the season on a good high, if they are out of it in about 3-4 games maybe they should bring up guys like Grenier etc...see what they can do..

to me the hit on Burrows (im too lazy to look up how you spell the punks name that hit him) is a litmus test for the NHL.

Clear head shot.

Edler got how many games for INTENT to injure? Hertl was not hurt on the play, didnt miss a beat. They judged Edler on his intent to hit him on the head, and he got suspended. In this case there was clear contact with the head, Burrows went down. It should be irrelevant that he came back because the precedent was set with the Edler hit.

Lets see how Shanny and Bettloser handle this.

I used to think like this about 10 days ago - wasnt hoping that they would lose but I was satisfied after a loss knowing that they improved their draft position. But if you look at past drafts.... picks 8-20 can turn out to be a crap shoot. The Top pick usually is a good to great NHL player picks 2-5 usually turn out to be solid NHLers...but outside of that many times its hard to tell.

Thing is, though, as the Canucks rise higher and higher among the non-playoff teams they are also reducing their chances of winning the first overall pick in the draft lottery.

Here are the odds each non-playoff team has of winning the first overall pick in the lottery:

30th place: 25.0%

29th place: 18.8%

28th place: 14.2%

27th place: 10.7%

26th place: 8.1%

25th place: 6.2%

24th place: 4.7%

23th place: 3.6%

22th place: 2.7%

21th place: 2.1%

20th place: 1.5%

19th place: 1.1%

18th place: 0.8%

17th place: 0.5%

If the Canucks just miss the playoffs and finish in 17th place overall, they have one chance in 200 of winning the first overall pick in the lottery.

If they finished 25th overall, they would have a 6.2% chance in the lottery. Still not great but better than 0.5%.

Archived