The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison potential buyout candidate

missioncanucksfan

Hopefully this will deter this stupid friggin notion that because someone is from the province that they will play well for this team. That is often the rationale behind trading or drafting "BC boys". That is poor reasoning. Garrison hasn't sucked but he hasn't been very good either and he's certainly not that 15 goal, 50 point monster like people were making him out to be just because he's from White Rock.

this.

Getting into this conversation late, but has anyone stated the stats for our Dman...They are as follows;

Hamhuis +13 (Even Strength) + 3 PPP = ................+16

Garrison -5 (ES) + 14 PPP +3 SHP =.......................+12

Tanev +12 (ES) + 1 SHP=........................................+13

Bieksa -5 (ES) + 8 PPP =..........................................+3

Stanton +2 (ES).........................................................+2

Edler -34 (ES) + 11 PPP...........................................-23

The other 4 Dmen were.............................................-11 collectively

I think this kinda sums up why some of you are wrong........3 solid dmen and you want to get rid of one.......bottom line he is a top 4 guy on this team in the worst case senerio, and truethfully an even match for Hamhuis and Tanev over the year( give or take a point!).................now lets talk about Edler, and Torts played him 23minutes 20 secs. per game.........what that tells me is, Edler sucks and Torts is an idiot! Numbers don't lie........oh yeah and not to forget Gillis.......with a NTC to boot!

Stop blaming Garrison........OP!

Getting into this conversation late, but has anyone stated the stats for our Dman...They are as follows;

The other 4 Dmen were.............................................-11 collectively

I think this kinda sums up why some of you are wrong........3 solid dmen and you want to get rid of one.......bottom line he is a top 4 guy on this team in the worst case senerio, and truethfully an even match for Hamhuis and Tanev over the year( give or take a point!).................now lets talk about Edler, and Torts played him 23minutes 20 secs. per game.........what that tells me is, Edler sucks and Torts is an idiot! Numbers don't lie........oh yeah and not to forget Gillis.......with a NTC to boot!

Numbers don't change the fact he is a slow skater, gives away the puck at least once a game, and rarely hits the net. I would like to see the stat for how many shots he has taken and how many of those have actually been on target/translated into goals. My guess is he rates quite poor. Obviously he won't be bought out, but trading is not out of the question if he accepts it.

PK'ers already get a plus for short handed goals. For pp goals against they don't get a minus. The opposite is true for players on the pp. They do get a minus for goals against but don't get a plus for goals scored while on the pp.

I can't even believe that we're talking about buying out a player like Garrison!! Look, either Garrison or Edler won't be back next year but players like this just don't get bought out (unless they absolutely refuse to waive their no-trade clause). One of them will most likely be dealt for some future assets. On that topic, it would be a tough decision which one to trade. They're both big defensemen who can both log a lot of minutes and both have a great shot. Edler is a little younger. Garrison tends to make safer plays but also is a little slower. If they keep Garrison, he's gotta work on hitting the net. A great shot is only good if it on target!

garrison is slow(real slow), does hit/check,gets beat regularly to the outside, has a terrible first pass and can't hit the net with his shot. he is possibly the most overrated player on this team.

if he's a top 4 it speaks volumes why this team has struggled so much since his arrival.

hopefully they trade or buy him out.

garrison is slow(real slow), does hit/check,gets beat regularly to the outside, has a terrible first pass and can't hit the net with his shot. he is possibly the most overrated player on this team.

if he's a top 4 it speaks volumes why this team has struggled so much since his arrival.

Ya, it's a shame we didn't keep Ehrhoff.....

Garrison - 79 games played 7 goals

Shots on goal - 179

Missed shots - 79

% of shots taken being on goal - 69.4%

Shooting % - 3.9%

Ehrhoff - 77 games played 6 goals

Shots on goal - 161

Missed shots - 74

% of shots taken being on goal - 68.5%

Shooting % - 3.7%

Well at least we don't have Garrison signed until he's 40.....

Trade bait if you can get past his NTC? If we can move Garrison and Edler we might get a more solid defence.

It would be interesting next year if its:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Stanton Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Sorry but that is just a horrid d-core.

Shots on goal - 179

Missed shots - 79

Shooting % - 3.9%

Shots on goal - 161

Missed shots - 74

Shooting % - 3.7%

If you want to just look at stats and not what both players bring to the table on the ice. Man did you even watch in 2010-11 ? The Hoff ran the PP and also made Edler look like a future stud dman.

Shots on goal - 179

Missed shots - 79

Shooting % - 3.9%

Shots on goal - 161

Missed shots - 74

Shooting % - 3.7%

Nice stats, but they don't tell the whole story. Ehrhoff is a much more dynamic skater than Garrison will every hope to be. He ran the pp much more effectively than Garrison ever has.

Garrison was supposed to be the pp qb - the guy with the big bomb from the point.

Problem is he cant run the PP and his one time shot isnt very accurate. He nearly always has to stop the puck before he hits the net with any velocity. Every time he stops the puck to tee it up for a shot everyone, including the ice clean up crew and the visiting team massage therapist, has time to anticipate where the shot will go. He is one of the reasons the PP sucks and now we know why V didnt use him on the first unit PP for a lot of the season.

He may be a decent D man, but the canucks really need a reliable puck moving D man who can run the PP.

Garrison was supposed to be the pp qb - the guy with the big bomb from the point.

Problem is he cant run the PP and his one time shot isnt very accurate. He nearly always has to stop the puck before he hits the net with any velocity. Every time he stops the puck to tee it up for a shot everyone, including the ice clean up crew and the visiting team massage therapist, has time to anticipate where the shot will go. He is one of the reasons the PP sucks and now we know why V didnt use him on the first unit PP for a lot of the season.

He may be a decent D man, but the canucks really need a reliable puck moving D man who can run the PP.

I don't belive that Garrison was ever meant to fill the role of PP QB. He's there for his shot and his shot alone. The QB's job is to put the puck on a tee for him, something which (in Garrison's defence) his teammtes haven't had much success in doing.

It isn't Ehrhoff's shot that we've been missing since he left, it was his ability to carry the pick through the neutral zone and make the all-important first offensive zone pass. Far too often this season, we've seen that pass intercepted, or in a teammate's skates.

When Garrison put up numbers in Florida, he had Campbell feeding him the puck. Vancouver doesn't have that kind of player, at least not now.

All of that being said, I agree with the decision to let Ehrhoff walk. The deal he got from Buffalo would be a millstone around the neck of any GM. I am however, a bit disappointed that Gillis and co. have not been able to acquire someone to fill that role, or at least someone with the potential to do so.

If I was Gillis' replacement, acquiring a young PMD would be top of my "to do" list.

I don't belive that Garrison was ever meant to fill the role of PP QB. He's there for his shot and his shot alone. The QB's job is to put the puck on a tee for him, something which (in Garrison's defence) his teammtes haven't had much success in doing.

It isn't Ehrhoff's shot that we've been missing since he left, it was his ability to carry the pick through the neutral zone and make the all-important first offensive zone pass. Far too often this season, we've seen that pass intercepted, or in a teammate's skates.

When Garrison put up numbers in Florida, he had Campbell feeding him the puck. Vancouver doesn't have that kind of player, at least not now.

All of that being said, I agree with the decision to let Ehrhoff walk. The deal he got from Buffalo would be a millstone around the neck of any GM. I am however, a bit disappointed that Gillis and co. have not been able to acquire someone to fill that role, or at least someone with the potential to do so.

If I was Gillis' replacement, acquiring a young PMD would be top of my "to do" list.

Not sure I agree, Ive seen Hank tee it up for him pretty good on many occasions and his accuracy stinks - especially if it is a one timer. No doubt he has a hard shot, his timing and aim isnt the best though. Between him missing the net with his big shot and Kesler always going over the net and out of the zone with his wrist shot its no wonder why the PP is amongst the worst.

As far as the ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone (as you pointed out Erhoff could do), do you think this is a coaching or personnel issue? Seems to me their whole game is based on 2 passes then dumping it behind the defenders and putting pressure on them. They dont have an Erhoff back there but I think part of the problem is the dump and pressure system.

Not sure I agree, Ive seen Hank tee it up for him pretty good on many occasions and his accuracy stinks - especially if it is a one timer. No doubt he has a hard shot, his timing and aim isnt the best though. Between him missing the net with his big shot and Kesler always going over the net and out of the zone with his wrist shot its no wonder why the PP is amongst the worst.

As far as the ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone (as you pointed out Erhoff could do), do you think this is a coaching or personnel issue? Seems to me their whole game is based on 2 passes then dumping it behind the defenders and putting pressure on them. They dont have an Erhoff back there but I think part of the problem is the dump and pressure system.

I don't really believe that dumping the puck in and pressuring are part of the system. I see it as a last resort, when the player carrying the puck doesn't have a lane to carry it in, or a clear passing lane to give it to someone who can.

Because of that, I'd say it's a personnel issue. I just think that the PP often lacks the necessary speed to back the defenders off enough to allow for the puck to be carried in. The problem is, our fastest players are not our most skilled players. (and vice versa) I think this is why we so often see Kesler trying to do too much and end up criticizing him for not using his teammates enough.

I don't really believe that dumping the puck in and pressuring are part of the system. I see it as a last resort, when the player carrying the puck doesn't have a lane to carry it in, or a clear passing lane to give it to someone who can.

Because of that, I'd say it's a personnel issue. I just think that the PP often lacks the necessary speed to back the defenders off enough to allow for the puck to be carried in. The problem is, our fastest players are not our most skilled players. (and vice versa) I think this is why we so often see Kesler trying to do too much and end up criticizing him for not using his teammates enough.

You have good insight.

Not sure I agree that the dump and pressure isnt part of the system. I think Tort's system is based around getting the defenders to turn around and putting a heavy forcheck on them with the hopes they cough it up or make a mistake. Not many beauty goals scored off of the rush this year.

Because of this I dont think its a coincidence that many of the canuck players are having an off year all at the same time. Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, even Kesler (who doesnt have an assist for ages)....not the right group to play this type of game.

I agree with much of what you say though...they need someone that can carry the puck with speed through the neutral zone (someone on the D that is)

The bolded part (and the lack of a true PMD) have been big factors this season (and for a number of seasons really).

For Garrison, it's interesting to watch a bunch of video in a row (like watching game highlights from every contest where Garrison has drawn points during his NHL career--something I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've actually done).

The big takeaway: Garrison scores most of his goals (and actually draws a huge portion of his assists) from a single type of play. Basically, a mobile puck-carrier penetrates the offensive zone down to the left circle, and then feeds a pass back diagonally cross ice to Garrison at the right point.

And boom, one-timer... he scores!

From this set-up, Garrison seems to almost operate on instinct. He hits the net often and he gets away with a tonne on these shots. When he doesn't end up scoring himself, it's a tipped shot or a rebound for a goal (and Garrison with the assist).

I can never find the quote but Garrison himself has said that this type of set-up is what he feeds off of offensively.

This is why some of Torts' offensive zone and power play schemes this season have baffled me.

We've seen the Canucks work the puck down to the right corner (the Sedins' kitchen), which makes sense, but then they've seemed to stall and have no idea how to take advantage of Garrison at the right point.

The twins go back to the point off the right boards but that doesn't create a good shooting option. They'll work it to Edler on the left point but then Edler won't manage to make clean D-to-D passes (which again negates the shot). And they never seem to have a plan to work the puck around to a forward on the left halfboards who could then feed Garrison with the bread'n'butter setup he wants.

And rarely does Garrison's D partner penetrate the zone to create that ideal passing option (like the one you can find at least a dozen videos of Campbell doing with great success).

Some of that comes down to personnel issues but even then, I've seen it as more execution related or the lack of proper preparation and practice (which again falls back on the coaches).

At least we know why AV never liked playing Garrison on the PP with Edler and the twins. I'm starting to think that AV simply knew that the Canucks didn't have the right PMD/PPQB option to take full advantage of Garrison's bomb and since they were still very much married to working the offense from that right side corner down low, and coming off of the Sedins' sticks (which never seems to create a good passing lane for Garrison on the right point), there was no reason to use Garrison on the 1st unit.

I'd love to see the new GM address the personnel issue (by adding a PMD/PPQB type) and the new coach(es) (who must be coming soon) use some basic schemes that create the kinds of setups that can make Garrison a real weapon from the right point.

I think you're describing Edler not garrison.

Archived