The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Season's over

The Magician

Well, if you were a realist like me you saw this day coming months in advance. It sucks but not as much as if you thought this team had a legitimate chance of making it and actually doing some damage. I mean, if this team was going to make it and be swept or done in 5 anyway then I still wouldn't have wanted them to make it. That's a waste of time and does nothing beneficial for the organization other than pad the Aquilini's coffers.

Just met Torts after the game, and he was by FAR the nicest Canuck that stopped. He stopped, made sure everyone got a signature or a picture with him. All very politely and with a smile. He's a very nice guy, contrary to his on-ice image.

That's a waste of time and does nothing beneficial for the organization other than pad the Aquilini's coffers.

Yep. Missing the playoffs is the only way to force ownerships hands.

They do not wanna miss the playoffs again, I can guarantee that.

I just think we should go with a bunch more rookies next yr try and tank for mcdavid.

1. Get a decent young c and a first for kesler

2. Edler and higgins and markstrom for pellach isles1st and pulock

3. Buyout booth.

4. Resign tanev 3yrs at 3.0 per kassian 4 yrs 3.0

5. Draft virtanen mckeown and fleury

6. Sign halak

Sedin sedin shinkaruk

Virtanen mattias kassian

Fox horvat burrows

Hansen lain kenins

Sestito/ gaunce

Garrison tanev

Hamhuis corrado

Pulock bieska

Fleury pellach

Lack

Halak

Let em tank it for mcdavid sink or swim boys

I just think we should go with a bunch more rookies next yr try and tank for mcdavid.

1. Get a decent young c and a first for kesler

2. Edler and higgins and markstrom for pellach isles1st and pulock

3. Buyout booth.

4. Resign tanev 3yrs at 3.0 per kassian 4 yrs 3.0

5. Draft virtanen mckeown and fleury

6. Sign halak

Sedin sedin shinkaruk

Virtanen mattias kassian

Fox horvat burrows

Hansen lain kenins

Sestito/ gaunce

Garrison tanev

Hamhuis corrado

Pulock bieska

Fleury pellach

Lack

Halak

Let em tank it for mcdavid sink or swim boys

That's a big gamble especially when the odds are even less of getting the top pick now. Just imagine the sh1t show that would erupt if we didn't get the #1 pick. All the "NHL vs the Canadian markets" conspirators would get riled up again. Then good luck relaying that message to the veterans still here that the season is over before it even began. Then management and ownership still has to sell this season to the fans somehow. And then of course you always have to take into consideration that McDavid, assuming if we actually got him after all is said and done, doesn't become the star everyone thinks he will be. It wouldn't be the first time a player was hyped like this and failed to meet such expectations.

Ya mmm i still think we need to go young i hope fox shinkaruk and horvat train hard in summer and steal spots on team. Even tho shinkaruk was injured this yr i saw fire in his eyes in preseason. Gaunce, fox and mcdavid on are team in two yrs we can change teams name to vancouver otters:). Please hockey gods let us win mcdavid

That's a big gamble especially when the odds are even less of getting the top pick now. Just imagine the sh1t show that would erupt if we didn't get the #1 pick. All the "NHL vs the Canadian markets" conspirators would get riled up again. Then good luck relaying that message to the veterans still here that the season is over before it even began. Then management and ownership still has to sell this season to the fans somehow. And then of course you always have to take into consideration that McDavid, assuming if we actually got him after all is said and done, doesn't become the star everyone thinks he will be. It wouldn't be the first time a player was hyped like this and failed to meet such expectations.

I enjoy reading your posts Deniro and I like your effort on this post. However, to play devils advocate ; what is it exactly that you think we are going to do next year? Make the conference finals?

The 2015 draft is apparently even deeper than the 13 draft. I think we should tank it and develop our youngsters , not drive a losing battle towards the cup.

I enjoy reading your posts Deniro and I like your effort on this post. However, to play devils advocate ; what is it exactly that you think we are going to do next year? Make the conference finals?

The 2015 draft is apparently even deeper than the 13 draft. I think we should tank it and develop our youngsters , not drive a losing battle towards the cup.

I don't think this team could be as bad as they were this season if they tried.

I don't see a tank as being realistic unless they were to gut the whole team, which most likely won't happen.

The 6th-7th overall pick is our chance to retool. And if they really want to shake things up, they'll try and trade Kesler. But again, that wouldn't be enough to tank.

I'll be happy if we somehow manage to get one of Dal Colle, Draisaitl, or Bennett.

Yea well now it's time to start looking forward to the next season. The off season and training camp should be pretty exciting. I just hope that Gillis can manage to bring in some good ufa's and make some nice trades. He could be getting better at trades since he didn't sell Kesler for scraps at the deadline, but who knows, trades aren't really one of his strengths. I'm more confident in his abilties to sign players.

In training camp it will be sweet to see the young players compete for jobs. It'd be even better to see them earn a spot. I think Jensen is a front runner to lock up a spot considering his play in the second half of this season. I think Horvat will get a chance to prove his worth, I can see him outcompeting Schroeder. There will probably be a tough decision to make about Horvat though because I heard he isn't eligible to play in AHL (Just heard that, don't know if its true) and It doesn't seem as if he needs any more time in junior. We already have Sedin, Kesler, Mathias, Richardson, and Santoreli. Things can change in a hurry though if Kes gets traded and Santo doesn't get resigned, as of right now though it doesn't look as if there is an opening for Horvat but I'm really interested to see how this all unfolds.

Yep. Missing the playoffs is the only way to force ownerships hands.

They do not wanna miss the playoffs again, I can guarantee that.

not a big deal this year because of all the extra money made from the cash grab winter classic.

but mark my words...

if we miss the playoffs next year heads will roll :bigblush:

Bring in Burke as GM - one of the best in trading.

Don't leave Gillis with trading core players in the offseason. He is not good at trading. He'll likely get fleeced by other vet GMs.

Hire Laviolette as coach - stanley cup champ as coach, 2 stanley cup appearances without the BORING style hockey, drama and yelling at players torts brings.

Or even marc crawford. His run n gun style is better fit for this team.

Just met Torts after the game, and he was by FAR the nicest Canuck that stopped. He stopped, made sure everyone got a signature or a picture with him. All very politely and with a smile. He's a very nice guy, contrary to his on-ice image.

nobody questions his niceness as a person. But $2m/yr is a lot to pay for a nice guy that can't produce W's.

His post game interview said it all ...

"buying out one Sedin is a slap to his face"

Being the worst number one forward in the history of this godforsaken franchise is a slap to everyone's face. All the crap years we've had as a team, we've always managed to have at least one forward with 50 points.

The Sedins will be the first ones to fail to achieve this. This is not an unreasonable expectation. They haven't even met that low bar.

They have made themselves buyout targets by their terrible play the last 4 months. If they are offended by that thought then they should have played better. Again, this isn't a recent problem, either. It was a problem with them last year that carried over to this year.

Gillis has options to move the Sedins for picks, and that includes buying one out and eating salary on the other. I would rather they ate salary to swing the deal for the pick, because they aren't going to be tight against the cap next year, and can use that money to sign productive players.

Henrik is still a great playmaker. Daniel sucks nonkey muts.

Archived