The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

That's why they're called subtleties :)

There is a lot I don't know about baseball, so keep up the talk guys!

The most interesting description I've ever heard of baseball was from an old Negro League player who stated that he had two loves in life, the sweet science and opera.

He went on to say that, though they seem like very different things, their essence is the same. Opera is tedium after tedium until you get to the aria when it exploded in energy, only to revert back to more tedium. It is the explosion and crescendo of form which makes it. It is that balance that gives it its uniqueness.

Other than the occasional fair ball it's 90% a game of catch between pitcher and backstop.

If you talk about the nuances of baseball, of which there are countless, most people couldn't tell you much about the differences in pitches let alone how differently they can all be thrown. How you change the angle of your arm, finger position, and delivery like out of the stretch, change the pitch every time.

Many people know what a fastball, change up and curve ball are but, until we got Dickey, didn't know about a knuckler. Then you include the many different sliders, cut fastballs, two vs four seamers, and you almost never see screwballs anymore. Then you get the different curveballs and the slurve. Until you've watched a guy like Henke throw a forkball you can't really know what it is.

And that's the most basic facet of the game aside from hitting. It's extremely complicated.

Edited by theminister

Yep. The CF has priority on any ball that is in the gaps. It's basically a fail-safe to keep outfielders from running into each other. You're taught from Little League up, if the center fiielder calls for it, you give way.

It helps that the CF is almost always the guy with the best range, as well...

My last two years of baseball I loved my CF. He had great range and never missed the routine fly balls. It gave me so much more confidence as a pitch-for-contact pitcher.

If you talk about the nuances of baseball, of which there are countless, most people couldn't tell you much about the differences in pitches let alone how differently they can all be thrown. How you change the angle of your arm, finger position, and delivery like out of the stretch, change the pitch every time.

Many people know what a fastball, change up and curve ball are but, until we got Dickey, didn't know about a knuckler. Then you include the many different sliders, cut fastballs, two vs four seamers, and you almost never see screwballs anymore. Then you get the different curveballs and the slurve. Until you've watched a guy like Henke throw a forkball you can't really know what it is.

And that's the most basic facet of the game aside from hitting. It's extremely complicated.

I loved throwing the curve at different arm slots. It was like 2 pitches in one. Threw over the top for the 12 to 6 curve, then 3/4 arm for the 10 to 3 curve. Not being a fire baller, it gave me a fighting chance to get through a line-up more than once.

Man, I miss pitching.

Exactly! I'm surprised someone around here knows what a forkball screwball is.

Yep. The CF has priority on any ball that is in the gaps. It's basically a fail-safe to keep outfielders from running into each other. You're taught from Little League up, if the center fiielder calls for it, you give way.

It helps that the CF is almost always the guy with the best range, as well...

Yes. I know this. Everyone knows this. I was being sarcastic. My original point was about Pillar crowding his other fielders. He tends to get overzealous at times. Revere and Bautista aren't chump change in the field. There's no need for Pillar to come 40 feet when the other fielder only has to go 20. Edited by YummyCakeFace

I'm actually surprised (and gratified) that there's been so much interest and discussion here lately. I've always loved talking baseball, but for the most part all I ever heard was "Baseball sucks! It's too boring" etc. etc.

I think the more people learn about the nuances and subtleties of the game, the more they come to appreciate it.

Of course, having the Jays in first place doesn't hurt either... B)

Baseball is all about the game behind the game.

Yessssss, that's exactly what makes it such a great game. Even something that seems pointless like a fastball thrown up above the strike zone but the pitcher was using it to set-up a curveball (as an example)...something the uneducated baseball mind wouldn't pick up on but that's what makes it fun. Or something like when A-Rod jogged across Dallas Braden's mound a couple years back there...the game is great once you start to understand it.

There's some baseball books I've read and loved that I'd strongly recommend to those who haven't read them.

"Sixty Feet, Six Inches"- not sure who the author is but the book is basically a giant transcription of conversation between Bob Gibson and Reggie Jackson talking about a wide variety of baseball topics. Interesting to gain the insight of two of the game's best.

"The Bullpen Gospels: Major League Dreams of a Minor League Veteran" by Dirk Hayhurst. Chronicles his extensive minor league career. He shares some very funny stories and some interesting information about life in professional baseball and the minor leagues that us muggles would never get otherwise. A very light read but great nonetheless.

"The Thinking Fan's Guide to Baseball"- again, can't remember the author but another interesting read. Talks about the history of the game, right from the mid-late nineteenth century just before the birth of MLB and some of the nuances of baseball for example. Highly recommend for any baseball nerd.