The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Jays lose.

1 issue/problem that is starting to aggravate me.

Why won't a lot of the Jays actually run/hustle to first base?

most recent example

1 out top of ninth, Vladdy hits the ball up the middle, pitcher takes a swipe at it, but it goes past him and the Second base? man grabs it and throws to first.

Camera follows the throw and we get to see Valddy loping up the baseline.

Perhaps if he's running faster, the extra speed, along with the visual distraction of the pitcher missing the ball, causes a high throw, and Vlad reaches first.?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Jays lose.

most recent example

1 out top of ninth, Vladdy hits the ball up the middle, pitcher takes a swipe at it, but it goes past him and the Second base? man grabs it and throws to first.

Perhaps if he's running faster, the extra speed, along with the visual distraction of the pitcher missing the ball, causes a high throw, and Vlad reaches first.?

About a month ago we saw Elly De La Cruz turn a routine ground out into an infield hit simply with a little hustle. Now granted EDLC is much faster than Vladdy will ever be but just show at least a little effort especially being down a run in the top of the 9th. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Jays lose.

most recent example

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

About a month ago we saw Elly De La Cruz turn a routine ground out into an infield hit simply with a little hustle. Now granted EDLC is much faster than Vladdy will ever be but just show at least a little effort especially being down a run in the top of the 9th. 

I am in the camp of not risking injury for a play that they have little chance.  It's one thing to leg out a slow, high grounder and get an infield single.  It's another thing to try and force an error on the defender.  It's well established that Rafael Devers is the worst defender in baseball.  He has 14 errors this year.  That is a fielding percentage of... .947%.  The odds of getting on base via error is much lower than you'd think.

Vladdy isn't a rookie.  He can probably tell when he won't make it.  The risk of a pulled hamstring isn't worth tiny chance of a reward.

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

Personally I'd be benching anyone who didn't hustle out of the box until the team culture changes, but I'm a pretty old-school guy regarding effort in professional sports.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Jays lose.

most recent example

I think I’d rather not risk Vladdy getting injured on a play he has no business beating out. I mean, how many times have we seen him hustle around the bags, trying to stretch a single into a double. Only to get thrown out by a mile?

Edited by shiznak

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

I think I’d rather not risk Vladdy getting injured on a play he has no business beating out. I mean, how many times have we seen him hustle around the bags, trying to stretch a single to a double. Only to get thrown out by a mile?

bottom of the ninth, team behind by a run. 90 feet, shouldn't be too hard for a professional athlete to run.

If the fielder double clutches, it would have been a close play- had Vlad been trying.

I'd prefer that he actually runs, not lopes or jogs.

Also- this is not just a Vladdy issue, but a few too many of them do the same thing.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Pears said:

We saw it in the series against the Guardians too...

Can't remember which player it was, but he hit a grounder more or less right at DeJong, who was playing pretty deep at Short. The ball wasn't hit particularly hard and DeJong took his time with the throw....it was a close play at first and the guy was called safe. (Full disclosure: I think that might have been the play that was overturned on review, but the point remains)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Either way, I don't believe a lack of hustle is what's hurting the Jays....

It's the same as it has been all season long....a miserable job of hitting with RISP....

Interweb can be funny, I just spent 10 minutes looking for Jays risp and could only find a .243 for the team, but no individual stats :(

Oh, well time for my daily walk with Mom.

I might search again later.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Either way, I don't believe a lack of hustle is what's hurting the Jays....

It's the same as it has been all season long....a miserable job of hitting with RISP....

It's about buying in as a team.  Working pitch counts and trying for a higher batting average instead of swinging for the fences.  The lack of hustle is a symptom of a culture that isn't what's needed to win when it matters.