The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

i just can wait for the national anthem at the first playoff game at home. Its going to be electric. 54000 singing O Canada

Totally stoked for the playoffs. You thought the atmoshphere was electric today, wait until the Jays first home playoff game. Going to give me the chills.

I think if they go .500 the rest of the way then this should be enough to secure the pennant. Still some tough games left, so can't relax just yet.

Totally stoked for the playoffs. You thought the atmoshphere was electric today, wait until the Jays first home playoff game. Going to give me the chills.

I think if they go .500 the rest of the way then this should be enough to secure the pennant. Still some tough games left, so can't relax just yet.

Hopefully the Bo-Sox do to them what they did to us. They have to win 5, even if we lost the rest, just to win the pennant... Because we hold the tie-break.

Is it fair to say that Gibby has Smoak in for his defensive play? The games I've seen this year I haven't found too much to fault Collabello for at 1st base, Smoak either for that matter, but with Collabello having the better batting average, RBI's more or less even, what is it that puts Smoak ahead of him at this point in the season?

It's defense for sure. Collabello is a much better hitter, although Smoak's ability to switch-hit is an advantage as well.

A good example is the 3-6-3 double play that the Jays turned earlier in the game. Highly doubtful that CC would have been able to pull that off.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Out of curiosity when would it be a good time to rest Donaldson? give him a day off or two

As soon as they clinch the division. Barney, Moony or Pennington could probably play third. Heck, even Edwing has played there before.

I'd probably give Hutch as start as well, if the Jays can clinch with a few games left in the sked.

As soon as they clinch the division. Barney, Moony or Pennington could probably play third. Heck, even Edwing has played there before.

I'd probably give Hutch as start as well, if the Jays can clinch with a few games left in the sked.

Joey Bats can play 3rd as well..seen him there in the past...alot of those guys will be out once the playoffs start..Barney...quite a few pitchers...Hague and others.

Remember that we are also chasing the Royals for home field throughout the playoffs. So until we either can't pass or clinch 1st overall I think we shouldn't be resting guys.

Joey Bats can play 3rd as well..seen him there in the past...alot of those guys will be out once the playoffs start..Barney...quite a few pitchers...Hague and others.

Yeah, I didn't mention him because he'd likely be another candidate for a rest. With Edwin, it will depend on how the finger is holding up.

Remember that we are also chasing the Royals for home field throughout the playoffs. So until we either can't pass or clinch 1st overall I think we shouldn't be resting guys.

True. I think it will come down to a case of what the Jays feel is more important, having the best record in the AL, or giving some of the regulars a bit of rest.

JD definitely looks like he's fading a bit to me.

No game today right?

Nope. Last off day in the regular season for the Jays.

Yankees start off a 4 game set with the White Sox tonight. The good news is, Chris Sale is starting for Chicago. Both Gardiner and Ellsbury are 0-fer against him, so it bodes well.

This will be the first time since last season that I've been a big Melky Cabrera fan. :)

What needs to happen for Blue Jays to clinch 1st?

Magic number is 8. So any combo of 8 Blue Jay wins or Yankee losses will give them the AL East. 3 for a Wild Card. Haven't seen a magic number anywhere for 1st in the AL. My guess is 12 (Blue Jays can win all 10 remaining games but Royals would still need to lose 2 or....if Royals lost their last 11, Blue Jays would still have to win 1).

So...

1st in AL = 12

1st in AL East = 8

Wild Card = 3

Edited by Wilbur