The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

7 hits, two of which were home runs, a walk, 3 earned runs, in 7 innings are pretty terrible stats for a reliever.

The depth in the AL east got considerably weaker in the off-season, with the exception of the Red Sox. The Yankees aren't getting any younger, and loss Jeter. The Orioles loss, two of their MVPs last year in Markakis and Cruz. And the Rays are once again rebuilding.

Its Spring..nobodies stats are out of this world.except a few of the rookies pitched real well...He allowed two earned runs in six innings (3.00 ERA) with a 1.000 WHIP and struck out nine. not great..not bad..but the SO ratio is pretty good.

Its Spring..nobodies stats are out of this world.except a few of the rookies pitched real well...He allowed two earned runs in six innings (3.00 ERA) with a 1.000 WHIP and struck out nine. not great..not bad..but the SO ratio is pretty good.

When he's fighting for a spot in the bullpen, and there's 20 years old rookies, pitching lights out, throwing 95+ mph.......those numbers are well below average compare to the two rookies.

Castro pitching line: 9 INP, 3 hits, 0 ERs, 8 Ks

Osuna: 9.2 INP, 6 hits, 0 ERs, 8 Ks

Having Delabar in the minors is a pretty good insurance, if one of them falter in the big leagues.

Edited by shiznak

Norris, Sanchez, and Castro looking mighty good so far in Spring Training.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world for the Jays.

So is Osuna.

And you're correct. The way these guys have been throwing in the spring definitely gives cause for optimism. However, we have to bear in mind how young they are. We have to hope they can continue to be effective over the entire 162 game season. Otherwise, AA might have to try and fix things on the fly, something he hasn't been great at so far, IMHO.

So is Osuna.

And you're correct. The way these guys have been throwing in the spring definitely gives cause for optimism. However, we have to bear in mind how young they are. We have to hope they can continue to be effective over the entire 162 game season. Otherwise, AA might have to try and fix things on the fly, something he hasn't been great at so far, IMHO.

if it works out..its a good thing..4 pitchers 21 and under.is relatively unheard of.

Now that Drabek is gone, he was the last piece of the trade that involved the Halladay trade. There was also Travis d’Arnaud, and Michael Taylor, but Michael was traded right away for Brett Wallace, then Wallace was traded for Anthony Gose. This was AA's first big trade move as the GM back in 2009, these were 3 prospects he wanted and where are they now?

Drabek now with the White Sox, just never was able to achieve that dominance that he was able to when he was younger, also having 2 Tommy John surgeries changed him.

Travis d'Arnaud now with the Mets was traded back in 2012, in a deal that brought R.A. Dickey to Toronto.

Brett Wallace now with the Padres, who was drated by the Blue Jays in 2005, but not signed. Was traded to Astros in 2010 for Anthony Gose, and Anthony is now with the Tigers.

Basically was the trade worth it... There was some potential in 2 of the 3 original players, but with injuries it hurt the Jays in the end, they lost the trade imo in the end.

Now that Drabek is gone, he was the last piece of the trade that involved the Halladay trade. There was also Travis d’Arnaud, and Michael Taylor, but Michael was traded right away for Brett Wallace, then Wallace was traded for Anthony Gose. This was AA's first big trade move as the GM back in 2009, these were 3 prospects he wanted and where are they now?

Drabek now with the White Sox, just never was able to achieve that dominance that he was able to when he was younger, also having 2 Tommy John surgeries changed him.

Travis d'Arnaud now with the Mets was traded back in 2012, in a deal that brought R.A. Dickey to Toronto.

Brett Wallace now with the Padres, who was drated by the Blue Jays in 2005, but not signed. Was traded to Astros in 2010 for Anthony Gose, and Anthony is now with the Tigers.

Basically was the trade worth it... There was some potential in 2 of the 3 original players, but with injuries it hurt the Jays in the end, they lost the trade imo in the end.

Tend to agree..but the Jays may have got a starting 2nd baseman out of the trade for Gose..Devon Travis may have won the job.

Tend to agree..but the Jays may have got a starting 2nd baseman out of the trade for Gose..Devon Travis may have won the job.

That one is still a gamble, especially since Travis doesn't even have 1 MLB game yet under his belt. There is Goins, Tolleson, and even Izturis who I thought played the postion very well last year until he got injured.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get to see the game, but after watching some highlights, Edwin's back looked pretty good on that gopher ball. Taking the parrot for a walk in game 1 of the season...

Also loved seeing Travis get the silent treatment after his dinger... :lol:

I have to say, I was a bit surprised at Hutch getting the opening day start, but apparently he owned both the Yanks and the O's last season and this means he'll pitch in both series. Props to Gibby for making the move.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

I liked the at-bats in particular form Martin and Pillar. They showed a lot of patience and fought off a lot of pitches. You need those at-bats to work pitch counts and get to the bullpen sooner.

Martin looked every bit as good as Melky in the 2 spot. He fought off pitches and is not afraid to spray the ball to all fields. His CS on Gregorious was automatic. He'll be a beauty if he stays healthy.

I was mostly worried about the hitting from the 6-9 spots in this lineup but Travis changes that quite a bit if he can be consistent. Pillar I'm not too worried about because of his experience but I'm still reserved on Pompey. He's so raw. One thing is for sure though, the OF D will be fine with those three out there.

Once Navarro finally gets dealt I wouldn't mind if the Jays gave one of the recent LH OF cuts a shot. When Tyler Colvin was released I took notice of that and there are quite a few other depth outfielders worth trying if we need a body, even after Saunders comes back. Fortunately that's the easiest position to fill.

Didn't get to see the game, but after watching some highlights, Edwin's back looked pretty good on that gopher ball. Taking the parrot for a walk in game 1 of the season...

Also loved seeing Travis get the silent treatment after his dinger... :lol:

I have to say, I was a bit surprised at Hutch getting the opening day start, but apparently he owned both the Yanks and the O's last season and this means he'll pitch in both series. Props to Gibby for making the move.

Yes, the top of the order looked pretty good but I'm still concerned about having 4 RH batters in a row from 2-5 with no lefties to use there regularly in sight.

I think a lot of it had to do with keeping Buerlhe away from the Yankees as he has always struggled against them for whatever reason. Luckily he's ok vs Baltimore.

Edited by theminister

Martin looked every bit as good as Melky in the 2 spot. He fought off pitches and is not afraid to spray the ball to all fields. His CS on Gregorious was automatic. He'll be a beauty if he stays healthy.

I was mostly worried about the hitting from the 6-9 spots in this lineup but Travis changes that quite a bit if he can be consistent. Pillar I'm not too worried about because of his experience but I'm still reserved on Pompey. He's so raw. One thing is for sure though, the OF D will be fine with those three out there.

Once Navarro finally gets dealt I wouldn't mind if the Jays gave one of the recent LH OF cuts a shot. When Tyler Colvin was released I took notice of that and there are quite a few other depth outfielders worth trying if we need a body, even after Saunders comes back. Fortunately that's the easiest position to fill.

Yes, the top of the order looked pretty good but I'm still concerned about having 4 RH batters in a row from 2-5 with no lefties to use there regularly in sight.

I think a lot of it had to do with keeping Buerlhe away from the Yankees as he has always struggled against them for whatever reason. Luckily he's ok vs Baltimore.

Zaun made a good point about that.

Even though you'd ideally like to have a lefty-righty balance throughout the lineup, it isn't as big a deal having a primarily right-handed lineup. Righties are used to hitting right handed pitchers. It's not a situation like when the Jays had guys like Plesac, specifically to bring in to face tough lefties.

I'd be a lot more concerned if the Jays had a predominantly lefty lineup like team Canada...

Zaun made a good point about that.

Even though you'd ideally like to have a lefty-righty balance throughout the lineup, it isn't as big a deal having a primarily right-handed lineup. Righties are used to hitting right handed pitchers. It's not a situation like when the Jays had guys like Plesac, specifically to bring in to face tough lefties.

I'd be a lot more concerned if the Jays had a predominantly lefty lineup like team Canada...

I can see that. It still does make it easy for the opposing manager though when he goes to his bullpen as he doesn't have to worry about match-ups in the heart of the order. Over a 3-4 game series that can make a difference. The fact that we don't have a viable option to use there off of the bench, because anyone they could bring in would be a major downgrade, weakens the overall look of the line-up. Granted, even having a quality everyday LH bat for Navarro to play 1B/DH (dubious on Smoak) would necessitate moving Encarnacion and Donaldson down a spot each on the line-up, especially as we probably still need more help throwing the ball first. Ideally Saunders comes out flying and we could try him in the middle of the line-up somewhere.

I guess the upside is that, over a 5 or 7 game playoff series ::D , that you could wear out the RH out of the pen too.

Over the course of the year, were going to miss Melky's bat a ton. Hopefully the starting pitching can hold up. Go Jays!

Maybe a little but if Martin can bat .270 with power and OBP then it won't be a major difference. He works the count really well too which will help wear out pitchers and give the heart a look at more pitches before they bat. His speed will also come in handy.

The major upgrade there is the effect it will have on the pitching staff, especially with the young arms. No more running with impunity like they did on Navarro too.

Saunders should be ready soon..he is playing in double A right now but not running yet..or very little..want him in left or cehtre...never been a Pillar fan but he played welll today.

With Saunders back, I'd say our line-up looks a lot more complete. I still have questions about the pitching, but maybe the young guys will answer them in the upcoming weeks.

When Saunders returns and Izturus as well..it could mean some moves..I would think they would drop a pitcher and keep Pillar or Pompey on the bench...and either Tolleson or Izturus would have to go..they are both out of options and doubt either would get to the minors without being claimed.

I guess they could escape that by sending Travis to the minors but that doesnt seem likely if the kid keeps playing well..why keep 2 over the hill infielders and dump a future starter..seems counter productive.

Edited by ShakyWalton