The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

A-Rod getting no love from Joe Giradi..turns down A-Rods request to play 3rd base in his last game friday....

Joe Girardi says "my job description does not entail a farewell tour." Derek Jeter's 2014 begs to differ.

I think I'm in the minority but I like A-Rod. I haven't always, but some time over the last 5 or so years I grew to like him. IMO, one of the best hitters to watch over the past decade or two. Beautiful swing and tremendous power to all 3 parts of the field. Living in the shadow of Jeter didn't really help his perception amongst fans and he didn't do much to help himself either, being so withdrawn for many years. All we can do is speculate and base opinions off of the little snippets we do get to see but I don't think he's really a bad guy. I think he lacks the charisma and charm that Jeter had to endear himself to fans. Propped up literally beside Jeter (SS/3B) he always seemed less likeable. I'll miss A-Rod when he goes. One of the greatest of all time, especially of his time. 

Edit: should mention, A-Rod was a better shortstop than Jeter when he arrived in New York. 

Edited by Sean Monahan

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

A-Rod getting no love from Joe Giradi..turns down A-Rods request to play 3rd base in his last game friday....

Joe Girardi says "my job description does not entail a farewell tour." Derek Jeter's 2014 begs to differ.

Well Joe, that's great to show that amount of respect... Perhaps you'll have a new job description in a different location next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

A-Rod and Barry Bonds are the biggest disappointments to me of modern time sports. Could have gone down in history as 2 of the very, very best ever. Cheated themselves, baseball and everyone else by going roid.

Catch 22, would a mini A-rod, or Tiny Bonds  have been as great? I mean pump the breaks and knock Er back about 20% bud. I wouldn't expect 55-70+ home run seasons without the roids. But you have to look at the era. Look at the pitching. 

Clemons, Schilling, Gagne, Pettite, Brown.

I mean some of the best pitching of the era was on roids as well. To me we're seeing what baseball looks like when most are clean. 35-50 home runs amongst the very best in the league. 

If you want to know who cheated baseball by going roids... Write down a list of every player from 1990-2008ish. Then pick 10-50% of them. Those are the numbers that are suspected of being on roids at some point during their careers in the duration of the steroid period in MLB.

I mean 59 players got caught since 2005. And there's literally hundreds that have tested positive and about 500 more that were suspected of using but never caught in the pre 2005 era when congress got involved and forced MLB to get serious with their testing, punishment and publicly announcing names.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

They were 2 of the best in their era, but followed the 'chicks dig the long ball" motif.

a 20 year career of 30 homers per avg puts them in the hall without having to go all Ivan Drago. And that is just homers, both started having weaker defensive play as they bulked up.

Griffey or Ichiro now go down as the best of the Mariners- A Rod could have been on that list but he cheated.

Just now, gurn said:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rodrial01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

They were 2 of the best in their era, but followed the 'chicks dig the long ball" motif.

a 20 year career of 30 homers per avg puts them in the hall without having to go all Ivan Drago. And that is just homers, both started having weaker defensive play as they bulked up.

Griffey or Ichiro now go down as the best of the Mariners- A Rod could have been on that list but he cheated.

Maybe if A Rod doesn't cheat we never hear of him?  We don't know if he wasn't using back in highschool.  

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

I figure they started roiding about the same time they gained 20+ pounds.

Heard on TSN 1040 today Barry Macdonald say Jose Bautista went from 14 to 51 home runs one season.  He didn't say the guy started using, but he sure implied.  

27 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

dont worry..that sure as heck crossed my mind as well.

Jose made some marked and noticeable changes in his swing/approach when you look at his swing pre 2010. Plus he really started hitting bombs at the end of 09, so I don't think he started juicing mid season. There wouldn't be much point as he wouldn't be working out all that hard. 

His hands got up a bit higher to generate more backspin and a better launch angle, and more importantly, he started getting his foot down sooner. He saw pitches better and can barrel up more consistently doing that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Catch 22, would a mini A-rod, or Tiny Bonds  have been as great? I mean pump the breaks and knock Er back about 20% bud. I wouldn't expect 55-70+ home run seasons without the roids. But you have to look at the era. Look at the pitching. 

Clemons, Schilling, Gagne, Pettite, Brown.

I mean some of the best pitching of the era was on roids as well. To me we're seeing what baseball looks like when most are clean. 35-50 home runs amongst the very best in the league. 

If you want to know who cheated baseball by going roids... Write down a list of every player from 1990-2008ish. Then pick 10-50% of them. Those are the numbers that are suspected of being on roids at some point during their careers in the duration of the steroid period in MLB.

I mean 59 players got caught since 2005. And there's literally hundreds that have tested positive and about 500 more that were suspected of using but never caught in the pre 2005 era when congress got involved and forced MLB to get serious with their testing, punishment and publicly announcing names.

This is why I believe Ken Griffey Jr. Is the best player to ever play this game, the numbers he was able to put up with what he was up against was pretty impressive, just to bad injuries affected his numbers.

• Upvote 3