The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

10 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

How? 2 of three puts us 3 games ahead of Seattle for the last wild card spot.

Because there is always someone on our heals, whether it be Seattle, Detroit, Houston or NY. Being in the 2nd wildcard spot there's no room for error.

Then we play the yanks, Os and Red Sox. We're about .500 against the yanks and Os. And I could see us getting swept by the Red Sox. So my thought process is that we need to put Seattle back 5 games since its realilistic that we may play sub 500 baseball going down the home stretch. That being said if we were to somehow run the table we could end up with the division. Such a tight division this year

22 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

@RUPERTKBD I'd say Tulo has been pretty consistently putting together quality AB's. Martin's AB's haven't been so consistent but he's come up with some big hits lately so it's somewhat forgivable. 

They're both getting there, but right now there are too many holes in the lineup to string together big innings. Last night was another example. All the scoring was basically done on two hits. They need JD to start hitting. They need Bats, Bossman and Saunders to start hitting. Everyone needs to shorten up and put the ball in play with two strikes. I don't care if you're a home run hitter, wait back on the ball and take it the other way.

I saw a couple of encouraging things last night though. The guys were running on a sub-par catcher. Zeke dropped down a bunt. Saunders in his one at bat, went the other way. If that sort of attitude starts filtering around the clubhouse, maybe the double-digit strikeouts will stop and maybe the Jays will start winning series again...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hitting in baseball is full of losing.  To be a star means losing 7 times out of 10 at bat.  

I don't know why you quoted me, what you're saying has nothing to do with what I said.

Being a star doesn't just mean losing 7 times out of 10. Being a star means recognizing why you lost 7 times and making adjustments... Plus I wasn't even talking about hitting I was talking about base running.  

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They're both getting there, but right now there are too many holes in the lineup to string together big innings. Last night was another example. All the scoring was basically done on two hits. They need JD to start hitting. They need Bats, Bossman and Saunders to start hitting. Everyone needs to shorten up and put the ball in play with two strikes. I don't care if you're a home run hitter, wait back on the ball and take it the other way.

I saw a couple of encouraging things last night though. The guys were running on a sub-par catcher. Zeke dropped down a bunt. Saunders in his one at bat, went the other way. If that sort of attitude starts filtering around the clubhouse, maybe the double-digit strikeouts will stop and maybe the Jays will start winning series again...

There's no arguing that. Upton, after showing a brief glimpse of his old self, has gone back to being about as useful as tits on a bull. I like the at-bats Bautista puts together for the most part- that's been something about his game we've known he can do for a long time- but before long we need him to really start hitting. 

Encarnacion also went the other way last night and he hit the ball hard. I think it was with two strikes, so I like that approach, but I can't remember for sure. Pillar really shortened up and went the other way with two strikes to cash Tulo after Upton came up and dropped a deuce with a runner on third and one out. 

Also, what happened to Zunino? I guess he's still young by baseball standards and can improve, but he was a really highly touted prospect for what he could do on both sides of the ball. Hasn't quite found that yet.

Two other observations:

Donaldson definitely went around on that check swing, not sure what his beef really was. The ump maybe could've checked it but it seemed like a pretty clear swing. The next pitch he was rung up on was a little questionable though. Despite what Tabby said I don't think it was really a strike all night. I thought Taijuan Walker got shaved on some pretty close calls, with balls 1/2/3 on Bautista's first walk really coming to mind. 

Nelson Cruz getting pissed off about Estrada coming up and in on him. So what? His game revolves around being able to move the ball around, change speeds, etc so when you're leaning over the plate taking away that "soft and away" approach, what do you expect? He didn't throw at you, just near you. Grow up. Bob Gibson would've done a lot worse and he threw a lot harder than Estrada.

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Two other observations:

Donaldson definitely went around on that check swing, not sure what his beef really was. The ump maybe could've checked it but it seemed like a pretty clear swing. The next pitch he was rung up on was a little questionable though. Despite what Tabby said I don't think it was really a strike all night. I thought Taijuan Walker got shaved on some pretty close calls, with balls 1/2/3 on Bautista's first walk really coming to mind. 

Nelson Cruz getting pissed off about Estrada coming up and in on him. So what? His game revolves around being able to move the ball around, change speeds, etc so when you're leaning over the plate taking away that "soft and away" approach, what do you expect? He didn't throw at you, just near you. Grow up. Bob Gibson would've done a lot worse and he threw a lot harder than Estrada.

What a b*tch! Every one gets pitched inside, it's part of the game. Quit complaining! Estrada only throws what? 89-90 MPH fastball max? Compared to other pitchers, that's nothing! Chapman throws 100+ MPH every fastball.

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to knock Bats, when he is getting on base with walks. He's had a tough season, with injuries so he hasn't really gotten into a good groove yet. But Bats was 0-1 with 3 walks yesterday, I'd rather he get on base 3 out of 4 times then trying to swing for the fence all the time and pop out or strike out. I do agree guys like Saunders needs to start hitting again, JD is obviously dealing with something, but we need him in the line up.

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I don't know why you quoted me, what you're saying has nothing to do with what I said.

Being a star doesn't just mean losing 7 times out of 10. Being a star means recognizing why you lost 7 times and making adjustments... Plus I wasn't even talking about hitting I was talking about base running.  

Well losing 7 out of 10 times is a .300 hitter, so not sure what your expecting out of some players to hit above .300 while it's hard enough to hit .300. Normally a guy batting over .300 is already a star. I understand you weren't talking about this, but I had to comment, since you commented.

Don't know if anyone caught the interview by Donnie & Moj of Richmond native James Paxton of the Mariners earlier today on TSN1040, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Talked about his roots growing up here and his road to the bigs. Genuine, really respectful, honest, and just a great guy in general. Real glad of what he's accomplished and how he's turned it around this season after the slow start he had.

...just thought I'd mention it, maybe someone can catch the talk online if they have some spare time on their hands. Mentioned how much baseball has grown and continues to grow here in BC. Very positive and neat little bit :) 

7 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Don't know if anyone caught the interview by Donnie & Moj of Richmond native James Paxton of the Mariners earlier today on TSN1040, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Talked about his roots growing up here and his road to the bigs. Genuine, really respectful, honest, and just a great guy in general. Real glad of what he's accomplished and how he's turned it around this season after the slow start he had.

...just thought I'd mention it, maybe someone can catch the talk online if they have some spare time on their hands. Mentioned how much baseball has grown and continues to grow here in BC. Very positive and neat little bit :) 

I've met Paxton a couple times and he's a really genuinely nice guy. He asked me to stand in on his bullpen and ended up hitting me so he signed a baseball for me- best bruise I ever got. 

My dad's friend coached him as a youngster (like 9-13 years old) and said he was the hardest working kid out there. His growth spurt and talent came later, as a youngster he was just out for hours a day throwing to his dad and that's why he was so good. Easy to respect a guy like him even if he didn't sign with the Jays.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I've met Paxton a couple times and he's a really genuinely nice guy. He asked me to stand in on his bullpen and ended up hitting me so he signed a baseball for me- best bruise I ever got. 

My dad's friend coached him as a youngster (like 9-13 years old) and said he was the hardest working kid out there. His growth spurt and talent came later, as a youngster he was just out for hours a day throwing to his dad and that's why he was so good. Easy to respect a guy like him even if he didn't sign with the Jays.

Yep. He was saying how he never really followed a team as a youngster until his teens cause he was outside all the time playing / wasn't much of a follower on tv. Funny enough, his favourite team growing up would become the Mariners as he would drive down for games occasionally with his dad and he said he remembers being a big fan of Ichiro.  That was when he started taking baseball more seriously and knew he had a shot at becoming a professional player.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Yep. He was saying how he never really followed a team as a youngster until his teens cause he was outside all the time playing / wasn't much of a follower on tv. His favourite team growing up was the Mariners too as he would drive down for games occasionally with his dad and he said he remembers being a big fan of Ichiro.  That was when he started taking baseball more seriously and knew he had a shot at becoming a professional player.

He probably started to clue in when the University of Kentucky bought him a new Toyota Tacoma haha

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well losing 7 out of 10 times is a .300 hitter, so not sure what your expecting out of some players to hit above .300 while it's hard enough to hit .300. Normally a guy batting over .300 is already a star. I understand you weren't talking about this, but I had to comment, since you commented.

The mindset to be a star means not being okay with mistakes. You don't sit back and say, I'm hitting .300, that's pretty exceptional, so I'm not going to think about continuing to improve. The people who have that mindset are not the people that are able to keep above .300. 

I also never said I was expecting guys to hit over .300....