The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

37 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Great pitching from layne getting out of the jam that Dellin put us in yet again, he has been a great pick up. Despite us not making the playoffs (barring a miracle), it was great to show fight in the ninth and will bode well for us in the future.

This is a Blue Jays thread. No one cares about the Yankees.

10 minutes ago, Xbox said:

This is a Blue Jays thread. No one cares about the Yankees.

Sorry, I thought this was an MLB thread with emphasis on the Jays. I am not only a Yankee fan but a baseball nut in general so if this will be an issue then I will make an MLB General thread. I mean after the wildcard game there won't be any jays news to talk about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Sorry, I thought this was an MLB thread with emphasis on the Jays. I am not only a Yankee fan but a baseball nut in general so if this will be an issue then I will make an MLB General thread. I mean after the wildcard game there won't be any jays news to talk about.

Cool, at least our club can make a shot at the wildcard without having the luxurious spending crutch the NYY have. Yankees aren't even the best team in New York. I have much more respect for the Mets.

Edited by Xbox

Just now, Xbox said:

Cool, at least our club can make a shot at the wildcard without the crutch of the money the NYY have. Yankees aren't even the best team in New York. I have much more respect for the Mets.

I mean if you have the money you might as well use it no? While we do spend a lot of money, we don't get the respect we deserve in terms of developing talent, the core of our last 5 WS were all drafted and developed by the Yankees. Bernie, Mo, Pettite, Posada, Jeter and Cano. Not too shabby if you ask me

8 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I mean if you have the money you might as well use it no? While we do spend a lot of money, we don't get the respect we deserve in terms of developing talent, the core of our last 5 WS were all drafted and developed by the Yankees. Bernie, Mo, Pettite, Posada, Jeter and Cano. Not too shabby if you ask me

I'll give you the rest but Cano and Mo would've been international free agents that the Yankees would have lured, likely by being the highest bidder.

12 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

They signed Robi for a mere 100k. Mariano for $2,500.

Doesn't mean they weren't the highest bidder.

I agree with you though, their development system has been underrated. They've taken flak in recent years for their spending which I think stems largely from signings like Giambi, Damon, Tex, Burnett, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ward and Henke don't give up games like the current Jay bull pen.  Don't the Jays have regulars, who pitch 8 and 9?  

The 8th inning guy Grilli was pitching the 9th because Osuna had pitched a few in a row and I think Benoit got hurt in that brawl.....it is what it is...the 7, 8th and 9th inning guys have been great all year...the others not so much...6 games left..we need to win 4 for sure to get a wild card..possibly 5.

Edited by ShakyWalton

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know him better than you, apparently.

35 out of 39 saves. No manager ever plans for a guy with those kind of numbers to fail.

You've really made a point of trying to hang blame on Gibby this season and in some cases I agree that he's made mistakes. But blaming a manager for expecting a closer with Osuna's numbers to get the job done is a pure case of 20/20 hindsight.

I came off harsh my bad, don't want to make it an argument, I like you.

I've never been a Gibby supporter and just don't like the guy plain and simple, not going to beat around the bush about it. Didn't like him in his first stint with the Jays and was upset he was given a 2nd chance imo. The one and only time I gave him a little benefit of the doubt was last year in playoffs, felt he finally made the right choices for who should of been playing, other then that no haven't liked him, and don't think I ever will.

7 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

yes, they're so good they lost 3/4...

So when it was clear Grilli didn't have his game, or at least the batters had his number, why weren't we swapping out pitchers as quickly as the Yankees were? Every one of these games count big time. Heck, at this point in the season I'd have one of our starters out there to pitch a single inning even, if that's what it takes to get the win.

Not to mention we chewed through Biagini and Cecil instantly. Maybe we should give Biagini the opportunity to pitch 2 innings next time... I really don't understand the pitching changes sometimes.

3 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

So when it was clear Grilli didn't have his game, or at least the batters had his number, why weren't we swapping out pitchers as quickly as the Yankees were? Every one of these games count big time. Heck, at this point in the season I'd have one of our starters out there to pitch a single inning even, if that's what it takes to get the win.

Not to mention we chewed through Biagini and Cecil instantly. Maybe we should give Biagini the opportunity to pitch 2 innings next time... I really don't understand the pitching changes sometimes.

This is my issue as well. A lot of Gibbons pitching choices are awful and I dont understand why they pull good pitchers so soon or why they leave in pitchers having an off night for so long. It's killing our season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I came off harsh my bad, don't want to make it an argument, I like you.

I've never been a Gibby supporter and just don't like the guy plain and simple, not going to beat around the bush about it. Didn't like him in his first stint with the Jays and was upset he was given a 2nd chance imo. The one and only time I gave him a little benefit of the doubt was last year in playoffs, felt he finally made the right choices for who should of been playing, other then that no haven't liked him, and don't think I ever will.

Totally understand Chuck, and to a point, I agree. If Atkins and Shapiro let him go next season, I won't shed any tears.

Earlier in this thread, I made the suggestion that the Jays might be wise to consider a change of philosophy next season. Instead of trying to replace the power lost by the departures of Edwing, (someone will pay him more than we can) Bats and Saunders, find a legitimate leadoff guy (Travis is a perfect #2 hitter, IMO) and start playing more small ball. They still have enough RBI guys, in JD, Tulo, Martin, Upton and possibly Smoak. (I think if he plays every day, his power numbers should approach 20HR, 70RBI)

IMO, it makes sense to change managers if you're going to change your overall offensive philosophy. Gibby has pretty much always been a 3 run homer type of manager.

"Brawl" my a**. I hate when that crap happens. If you're gonna clear benches, somebody please throw a punch. Otherwise just sit down, shut up, and play. It makes the league, the players, and the game as a whole look bad. Baseball's just a few more of these "dust-ups" away from being laughed at the way soccer is. 

Buck and Tabby saying Smoak didn't hesitate to charge the mound. He absolutely did hesitate. He stopped and looked to his bench before making any move, and then was restrained by the ump with little to no effort. You're telling me Smoak, a big man in the physical prime of his life, couldn't have gotten after Severino if he actually wanted to? This little old man could actually hold him back? 

It's all posturing and chest-puffing IMO. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Totally understand Chuck, and to a point, I agree. If Atkins and Shapiro let him go next season, I won't shed any tears.

Earlier in this thread, I made the suggestion that the Jays might be wise to consider a change of philosophy next season. Instead of trying to replace the power lost by the departures of Edwing, (someone will pay him more than we can) Bats and Saunders, find a legitimate leadoff guy (Travis is a perfect #2 hitter, IMO) and start playing more small ball. They still have enough RBI guys, in JD, Tulo, Martin, Upton and possibly Smoak. (I think if he plays every day, his power numbers should approach 20HR, 70RBI)

IMO, it makes sense to change managers if you're going to change your overall offensive philosophy. Gibby has pretty much always been a 3 run homer type of manager.

I agree with Travis watching him last year the guys got power, he fits better in a non lead off role too drive players in, could take EEs spot. Personally I don't see why Upton can't be the lead off guy especially with his speed, but agree they need a legit leadoff guy who has speed. 

I would rather have Justin Morneau then Smoak at first. Maybe someone can find the stats on Smoak, but what's his average as a RH vs being LH at bat... Because I feel he needs to be better on one side before he continues being a switch hitter, he looks like a better LH hitter, but he needs to just stick to one side and become better IMO. 

Like I was saying about Gibby last year in playoffs, playing Colabello over Smoak was the right decision. Colabello was the better overall player at the time, and watching Smoak yesterday he had 2 chances to pick balls and didn't come up with any, would rather do without him.

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

"Brawl" my a**. I hate when that crap happens. If you're gonna clear benches, somebody please throw a punch. Otherwise just sit down, shut up, and play. It makes the league, the players, and the game as a whole look bad. Baseball's just a few more of these "dust-ups" away from being laughed at the way soccer is. 

Buck and Tabby saying Smoak didn't hesitate to charge the mound. He absolutely did hesitate. He stopped and looked to his bench before making any move, and then was restrained by the ump with little to no effort. You're telling me Smoak, a big man in the physical prime of his life, couldn't have gotten after Severino if he actually wanted to? This little old man could actually hold him back? 

It's all posturing and chest-puffing IMO. 

This first bench clearing was sad, the 2nd one was kind of weak, but if you watch the replay Smoak is actually throwing the fists into someone I'm surprised he wasn't ejected. 

It looked like Smoak wanted to hit the catcher with his bat but resisted, then Pillar went to rush the pitcher and play tough then backed off thought that was pretty weak on his part. I do want to see Martin go at it with someone, he reminds me of a hockey player sometimes he just wants to go one on one with someone, but there's always to many players holding guys back unfortunately.