The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

FYI, the Happ signing was part of the old regime. Although Shapiro was the new president, at that time. It was AA who advised LaCava to re-target Happ, before he departed. 

This is true, but AA also wanted them to let Estrada walk and to sign Price.

7 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

and what do they do with Goins..

He didn't make the 25 man roster last year. He was constantly sent up and down. If it was up to me I'd rather Goins over Smoak.

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well to be honest with you, Floyd has only started 14 games in the last 4 years and pitched 113innings combined...essentially averaging 28 innings/year. He's also had arm/elbow/shoulder injuries in 3 out of 4 of those seasons, I'd have to say his days as a starter are far behind him. 

When I pencilled him as the 6th starter it was only incase of injury or if the others needed a rest for some reason. In no way is he a regular starter nor do I want a 6man rotation.

35 minutes ago, Xbox said:

When I pencilled him as the 6th starter it was only incase of injury or if the others needed a rest for some reason. In no way is he a regular starter nor do I want a 6man rotation.

I see. So you view him perhaps as a swingman? 

The good thing shaps did this offseason was sign a handful of AAA calibre pitchers with MLB experience... so that could provide some competition next week when spring training opens as well as provide some depth. 

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

I'm not sure how reliable theScore is, I know they're part of the Rogers family, but I always use Sportsnet, as Shi Davidi follows Blue Jays news daily. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/russell-martin-michael-saunders-left-off-canadas-world-baseball-classic-roster/

Yeah it's very weird there are 2 contradicting stories going on regarding the whole situation. I know he would of wanted to play for sure, but also being on a new team now and wanting to show his new club he has what it takes to be a starter so being there for spring training to prove them may factor into the decision as well. 

10 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well to be honest with you, Floyd has only started 14 games in the last 4 years and pitched 113innings combined...essentially averaging 28 innings/year. He's also had arm/elbow/shoulder injuries in 3 out of 4 of those seasons, I'd have to say his days as a starter are far behind him. 

Well yeah that's why I suggested him in the pen for sure, because I responded to his comment because he showed him as the #6 starter and I don't see that either.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah it's very weird there are 2 contradicting stories going on regarding the whole situation. I know he would of wanted to play for sure, but also being on a new team now and wanting to show his new club he has what it takes to be a starter so being there for spring training to prove them may factor into the decision as well. 

I read that Philly didnt want him insured so it was out of his hands...looked for the story and couldnt find it...they could be worried about his rebuilt knee.

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I see. So you view him perhaps as a swingman? 

The good thing shaps did this offseason was sign a handful of AAA calibre pitchers with MLB experience... so that could provide some competition next week when spring training opens as well as provide some depth. 

Yeah that's all I see him as but you're right any of those AAA pitchers can get the spot. Those signings are what I like about Shapiro. In order to win a World Series you need good AAA depth signings mixed with big ticket free agent signings which they didn't have the luxury to really do in Cleveland.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well at least we will see how Pompey is doing first when he plays for Canada.

Very excited for that!

Edited by Xbox

i am very happy with what the current regime did to rebuild the starting rotation last season - quite a remarkable starting rotation as it turned out

i am content to wait to see how the bull pen and the new offensive line up performs

i think the moves in the off season were pretty shrewd

did not expect to see jb back, nice to see rogers kicked in some more money so that could happen

i think the jays will be very competitive this year barring injuries to starters

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

FYI, the Happ signing was part of the old regime. Although Shapiro was the new president, at that time. It was AA who advised LaCava to re-target Happ, before he departed. 

Interesting.  Thanks for that piece of information.

In that case I'm giving the new regime a fail thus far - they're coasting even more on AA's momentum than I realized.

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i am very happy with what the current regime did to rebuild the starting rotation last season - quite a remarkable starting rotation as it turned out

i am content to wait to see how the bull pen and the new offensive line up performs

i think the moves in the off season were pretty shrewd

did not expect to see jb back, nice to see rogers kicked in some more money so that could happen

i think the jays will be very competitive this year barring injuries to starters

Agreed. Right handed heavy lineup and our biggest threat is Boston. 4 of their 5 starters are southpaws so definitely should be good!

18 hours ago, Xbox said:

This is true, but AA also wanted them to let Estrada walk and to sign Price.

He didn't make the 25 man roster last year. He was constantly sent up and down. If it was up to me I'd rather Goins over Smoak.

A rotation of Price, Stroman, Happ, Hutchison, Floyd/Sanchez/Osuna wouldn't have been so bad. I'm almost certain the David Price we saw in Bostono last season, would have been a different David Price, if he had stayed in Toronto.

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

A rotation of Price, Stroman, Happ, Hutchison, Floyd/Sanchez/Osuna wouldn't have been so bad. I'm almost certain the David Price we saw in Bostono last season, would have been a different David Price, if he had stayed in Toronto.

But the cost of our rotation is about 17M less than what AA would have built - and it was the top rotation in the AL. That's why Rogers hired Shapiro. I would have liked AA to work under Shapiro. My main issue with the old regime was Beeston.

The Jays are supposedly still keeping an eye on available SP free agents for insurance reasons, kind of found this surprising tbh.

Report: Blue Jays 'keeping tabs' on free-agent depth starters

Blue Jays are reportedly keeping tabs on free-agent arms who would add depth to their starting rotation, according to Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith.

Currently, Toronto looks set to roll into spring training with a group of starters consisting of Aaron Sanchez, J.A. Happ, Marco Estrada, Marcus Stroman, and Francisco Liriano, with Mike Bolsinger, who's now out of minor-league options, a candidate for an occasional spot start.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1229716

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The Jays are supposedly still keeping an eye on available SP free agents for insurance reasons, kind of found this surprising tbh.

Report: Blue Jays 'keeping tabs' on free-agent depth starters

Blue Jays are reportedly keeping tabs on free-agent arms who would add depth to their starting rotation, according to Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith.

Currently, Toronto looks set to roll into spring training with a group of starters consisting of Aaron Sanchez, J.A. Happ, Marco Estrada, Marcus Stroman, and Francisco Liriano, with Mike Bolsinger, who's now out of minor-league options, a candidate for an occasional spot start.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1229716

That would be awesome considering our only long relief pitcher is Joe Biagini. I'd rather have another arm over Bolsinger or Floyd so it's good they're looking. I recreated our team (and other major AL transactions) in MLB The Show 16 but theres no Glenn Sparkman in the game so I have to use Barnes >:(

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

That would be awesome considering our only long relief pitcher is Joe Biagini. I'd rather have another arm over Bolsinger or Floyd so it's good they're looking. I recreated our team (and other major AL transactions) in MLB The Show 16 but theres no Glenn Sparkman in the game so I have to use Barnes >:(

I understand it's good, but I would of preferred spending a bigger amount of money for 1 legit starter then signing 3 or 4 and hoping they pan out.

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I understand it's good, but I would of preferred spending a bigger amount of money for 1 legit starter then signing 3 or 4 and hoping they pan out.

We already have 5 though. Any legit starter can find top 5 work somewhere.