The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Can't even watch that crap... no interest really in Olympic pro sports either...

On another topic; I've been working lots lately, so I was just wondering, who has looked great/surprised at spring training and how are we looking overall? 

Some ups and some downs, hard to evaluate them as a team yet as they have been playing a lot of prospects and Travis and Donaldson recovering. Bautista is in game form, Pillar has been decent, Morales he's been alright still prefer EE, Upton still sucks, Smoak still sucks, Pearce haven't watched him much, Barney has been Barney, Martin has been alright little lazy behind the plate but it is spring training, Tulo so far has looked good, Goins bat still struggles but defense is good. Pitching wise hard to really evaluate them as they are limited to innings, and it's early, but Latos who struggled early in spring has started to look better. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Some ups and some downs, hard to evaluate them as a team yet as they have been playing a lot of prospects and Travis and Donaldson recovering. Bautista is in game form, Pillar has been decent, Morales he's been alright still prefer EE, Upton still sucks, Smoak still sucks, Pearce haven't watched him much, Barney has been Barney, Martin has been alright little lazy behind the plate but it is spring training, Tulo so far has looked good, Goins bat still struggles but defense is good. Pitching wise hard to really evaluate them as they are limited to innings, and it's early, but Latos who struggled early in spring has started to look better. 

nice update . thanks

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

Looks like those sleazebags in Cleveland tried to poach Bautista as well....

But JB preferred to return to T.O.

Intersting! Are you sure that the $50M offer to Bautista was after they signed Encarnacion though?

5 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Can't even watch that crap... no interest really in Olympic pro sports either...

On another topic; I've been working lots lately, so I was just wondering, who has looked great/surprised at spring training and how are we looking overall? 

Standouts for me:

Pillar

Bautista

Prospects:

Pompey

Tellez

Mayza

Gurriel Jr

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

working a lot eh ?

you do know that jb has a bonus clause in his contract should the jays attendance reach certain thresholds

i also heard a rumor that he is entitled to half of your income over a certain threshold

can you please let us know what that threshold is? the reports i have read are a bit sketchy on that point :P

Lol the threshold is 180,000... I have to buy him 5lbs of apples /month and a weekly Bautista Blast from Booster Juice until Oct 15th if I hit that threshold... 

but fear not I expect the OT to taper off by the end of April.

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If it's a 1 for 1 I'd pick EE hands down, but signing Morales is what gave them the ability to sign Gurriel Jr to a 7 year deal. A huge reason why he chose the Jays is because they acquired Morales. The agent was basically packaging them together. Since we got a pick for EE I see it as two prospects + Kendrys Morales for Edwin Encarnacion

6 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Pillar is usually mr march/April & September... its the  4 months in between that worry me:o

How's Berti and Barnes looked?

Yeah I agree. He was playing with a bad hand last year because he slid into 1B and he admitted he had to change his approach because of it. So there's potential. Still would rather him in the 7/8 hole though. 

Berti has actually looked really good and could really challenge for a bench spot. Barnes I've seen a couple times and I liked what I saw. I feel bad for putting Barnes in the same sentence as Loup lol. The Jays want to carry 12 pitchers so I don't know if he will make it but definitely could. Mayza has played unreal and I'd like to see him make it.

Upton and Smoak are painful to watch, like REALLY painful.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

Intersting! Are you sure that the $50M offer to Bautista was after they signed Encarnacion though?

I don't know but they've admitted to offering Bautista one year matching Toronto and were prepared to go multiple years but Bautista ended the negotiation at the point Toronto stepped up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know but they've admitted to offering Bautista one year matching Toronto and were prepared to go multiple years but Bautista ended the negotiation at the point Toronto stepped up.

The complexion of the Toronto Blue Jays offseason could have taken a dramatic turn for the worse had the Cleveland Indians been able to come to terms with Jose Bautista to compliment the free agent signing of former Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion.

So this was after they signed EE. Props to Joey Bats!

28 minutes ago, Xbox said:

The complexion of the Toronto Blue Jays offseason could have taken a dramatic turn for the worse had the Cleveland Indians been able to come to terms with Jose Bautista to compliment the free agent signing of former Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion.

So this was after they signed EE. Props to Joey Bats!

Yes.  Apparently he had comparable contract options to go either way (at least over two year terms - not sure about the 3rd yr option)  but chose Toronto as opposed to joining EE (on arguably a better opportunity to win?) at the point the Jays offered more than simply the one year deal. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes.  Apparently he had comparable contract options to go either way (at least over two year terms - not sure about the 3rd yr option)  but chose Toronto as opposed to joining EE (on arguably a better opportunity to win?) at the point the Jays offered more than simply the one year deal. 

Maybe Bautista knows the grass is not always greener on the other diamond?  :)

5 hours ago, Xbox said:

If it's a 1 for 1 I'd pick EE hands down, but signing Morales is what gave them the ability to sign Gurriel Jr to a 7 year deal. A huge reason why he chose the Jays is because they acquired Morales. The agent was basically packaging them together. Since we got a pick for EE I see it as two prospects + Kendrys Morales for Edwin Encarnacion

Very true good way to look at it. I'm just personally more on the win now window then worrying about down the road. I still would of preferred EE now, but I understand Morales is capable of filling most of the offensive hole left from EE. Just I know EE and what he already was capable of, so they're was no guessing or hoping, you know what your going to get out of him plus 1B, which is a little higher then Morales.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Actually Rogers Stepped up and gave Shatkins more money to sign him, that's what was being reported back then.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Very true good way to look at it. I'm just personally more on the win now window then worrying about down the road. I still would of preferred EE now, but I understand Morales is capable of filling most of the offensive hole left from EE. Just I know EE and what he already was capable of, so they're was no guessing or hoping, you know what your going to get out of him plus 1B, which is a little higher then Morales.

man i totally get that and agree with that sentiment

i'm a fan at heart

but the problem was the business stuff. and it could not get sorted

and ee and his agent made their own bed..

and now we all just have to move on

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

man i totally get that and agree with that sentiment

i'm a fan at heart

but the problem was the business stuff. and it could not get sorted

and ee and his agent made their own bed..

and now we all just have to move on

Totally understand the business part, but seriously if this was a different year say 2010 for instance, the comments towards EE and his agent wouldn't be they made their own bed, it would be they tested the market and came to a decision with ....

This off season for power hitters and contracts was one of the weirdest I have ever seen, comparing to the past. Look at some power hitters contracts compared to EE and you don't go and say they made their own bed, no because they got paid like everyone else does. EE got screwed imo he deserves more.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Totally understand the business part, but seriously if this was a different year say 2010 for instance, the comments towards EE and his agent wouldn't be they made their own bed, it would be they tested the market and came to a decision with ....

This off season for power hitters and contracts was one of the weirdest I have ever seen, comparing to the past. Look at some power hitters contracts compared to EE and you don't go and say they made their own bed, no because they got paid like everyone else does. EE got screwed imo he deserves more.

i don't agree that ee got screwed

and despite my wish that ee was still a jay

i do think in my head that the jays will be better without him

for the reasons posted by others on this site..  the ability to get 2 others prospects and mostly replaced ee as well

makes better sense for the team unfortunately

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree that ee got screwed

and despite my wish that ee was still a jay

i do think in my head that the jays will be better without him

for the reasons posted by others on this site..  the ability to get 2 others prospects and mostly replaced ee as well

makes better sense for the team unfortunately

Players who make more then EE as a DH or 1B.

Miguel Cabrera $31M

Albert Pujois $24M

Chris Davis $23M

Joe Mauer $23M

Joey Votto $22.5M

Hanley Ramirez $22M

Adrian Gonzalez $22M

Edwin Encarnacion $20M

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/average/Filter by Team/

Really you don't think EE got screwed... Those numbers and some of those players compared to EE show he got screwed.

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Players who make more then EE as a DH or 1B.

Miguel Cabrera $31M

Albert Pujois $24M

Chris Davis $23M

Joe Mauer $23M

Joey Votto $22.5M

Hanley Ramirez $22M

Adrian Gonzalez $22M

Edwin Encarnacion $20M

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/average/Filter by Team/

Really you don't think EE got screwed... Those numbers and some of those players compared to EE show he got screwed.

so you resist change? you do not like to see a new landscape appearing in the economics of baseball?

you appear to have too simplistic an approach to this player value issue

and baseball economics and sports economics

players are paid what they are worth

and when the pay scale for positions change, that tells you the revised value of that position

it is not static.. it is dynamic

and the revised value becomes the current value for that position

look at the nfl

position values have been altered drastically over the last number years

most notably the running back position

the value of that position has plunged

running backs used to be the most highly sought draft picks after quarterbacks

no longer

their pay scale has been adjusted accordingly

there are so many capable running backs

they have short careers

they have become plug and play assets

get them young, cheap, use them for 3 or so years

get a new one

do not waste high draft picks on them (except for the really special ones)

and do not sign them to long term contracts (but for the nfl this is a bit irrelevant since no contract is guaranteed so less of an issue in that league)

in baseball we have seen in this off season a glut of players who can fill the dh position

veteran players can extend their careers if they are still capable hitters but can not longer play a fielding position

if they are prepared to dh

there are more and more veteran players with hitting talent transitioning to dh

their value will fall and is falling

the position in baseball that is presently increasing in value is bullpen pitchers

long relief pitchers, especially the ones that can pitch more often on shorter rest

so no, i do not think ee got screwed

if he really is the wonderboy you suggest he would have been paid

or the managers of all the other baseball teams must be stupid for passing on him if he was such good value

they are not all stupid

so he must not be worth what you believe

historical payment for that position is interesting as a historical fact

it does not determine the present business model for baseball teams

and i know that because we all saw what happened this past off season in baseball

Edited by coastal.view