The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Blue Jays’ Shapiro on Aaron Sanchez: ‘The more we pay you the better’

The Toronto Blue Jays are paying Aaron Sanchez the MLB minimum salary in 2017, but they hope to pay him ‘a lot of money’ in the future.

I'd consider Estrada an ace as well. He's the one who goes into away parks and just dominates in the post season. He's earned the first start.

Maybe Sanch gets home opener. As a player I'd prefer home opener over season opener.

I wonder if Lawrie can play first base? He's certainly athletic enough to play first, and plus it would be a lot less straining on his body, if he were to be converted into a first basemen.

I know people have said he's "poison" in the clubhouse, but there's isn't any proof of former teammates saying anything vile about playing with him. In fact it's quite the opposite, teammates have praised his defensive skills (Reddick, Buerhle, Dickey, DeRosa, Bautista, etc) and like the energy he brings in the clubhouse. His antics on the field, can be a bit wild and balls out, but so are Stroman, Donaldson, and Bautista. And no one has a problem with them; well besides the Orioles' and Rangers' players.

Honestly, he'd be a huge upgrade over Smoak, if he were to be converted. Both players tend to strikeout a lot, but Lawrie has been a plus WAR player his entire career and is already familiar with most of the core players on the team.

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wonder if Lawrie can play first base? He's certainly athletic enough to play first, and plus it would be a lot less straining on his body, if he were to be converted into a first basemen.

I know people have said he's "poison" in the clubhouse, but there's isn't any proof of former teammates saying anything vile about playing with him. In fact it's quite the opposite, teammates have praised his defensive skills (Reddick, Buerhle, Dickey, DeRosa, Bautista, etc) and like the energy he brings in the clubhouse. His antics on the field, can be a bit wild and balls out, but so are Stroman, Donaldson, and Bautista. And no one has a problem with them; well besides the Orioles' and Rangers' players.

Honestly, he'd be a huge upgrade over Smoak, if he were to be converted. Both players tend to strikeout a lot, but Lawrie has been a plus WAR player his entire career and is already familiar with most of the core players on the team.

And Kansas and Texas...

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

It's not a terrible idea. I think anyone who's played 3rd (and 2nd) can adapt to plying first. The question is, at this point of his career, is his bat a big enough upgrade over Smoak's to make it worthwhile?

I'm still kind of hoping that we can land Pagan and set up some kind of platoon, where both Bats and Pearce get time at first and we rotate the two of them along with Zeke and Pompey (when he's healthy) through the outfield psoitions.

Smoak and Bossman could be moved for some Bullpen help...

14 hours ago, Xbox said:

I'd consider Estrada an ace as well. He's the one who goes into away parks and just dominates in the post season. He's earned the first start.

Maybe Sanch gets home opener. As a player I'd prefer home opener over season opener.

He's an ace in a different way imo, he's not a dominant ace, but he mixes his pitches well and gets the job done, smart pitcher. As stated I don't mind him starting my post isn't a bash to him at all, it's just my overall view of this management and how they're dealing with situations.

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

Totally agree he's an upgrade over Smoak almost any player is an upgrade to Smoak. I don't mind the idea actually, but it would be on a short leash and if it doesn't work, then straight down to the minors. But he did say he isn't going to pursue a contract from any team until he's 100% healthy, so I don't think it's going to happen. Plus I feel we already have some good depth that can cover this position, Pearce, Morales(occasionally), Bautista, I'd rather go with those guys and hope Pompey gets healthy again and can cover the outfield for those guys if needed.

Forgot to post this the other day regarding Pagan. Jays and Phillies are supposedly the front runners for him, but I don't think it will happen with him wanting the everyday position, plus money wise, as stated before they would have to trade someone imo.

Report: Blue Jays, Phillies connected to Pagan

On Thursday, one day after Pagan broke up Marcus Stroman's no-hit bid in the seventh inning of the WBC championship game, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reported that the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies are connected to the 35-year-old outfielder.

Pagan, who earned $11.25 million in 2016, wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed an everyday role with the Blue Jays or Phillies, though. In Toronto, Pagan would likely platoon in left field with Melvin Upton Jr., and his playing time would probably be even more sporadic in Philadelphia, where he'd likely be used to spell offseason additions Howie Kendrick and Michael Saunders.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1262270

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 2

At this point, I honestly think the Jays have 5 starters who could be the season opening starter. Sanchez has the most career upside and would be the defacto opening day starter with most managers, however, Liriano has looked like the best starter in pre-season and Stroman just won the MVP of the WBC...

Personally, I'd prefer that the coaching staff look at how all five guys have fared against the opposition line up in recent starts. If it's a team that struggles against lefties, start Liriano or Happ. If the team has trouble with off-speed stuff, start Marco.

If none of those things are a major factor, then Sanchez ges the start. (I think it's important to remember that being the opening day starter is a point of pride for pitchers, and the Jays might want to do a bit of fence mending with AS)

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He's an ace in a different way imo, he's not a dominant ace, but he mixes his pitches well and gets the job done, smart pitcher. As stated I don't mind him starting my post isn't a bash to him at all, it's just my overall view of this management and how they're dealing with situations.

If that's the case you're dead right. They can't pick Sanch or Stro for that season opener over jealousy (which is ridiculous).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

At this point, I honestly think the Jays have 5 starters who could be the season opening starter. Sanchez has the most career upside and would be the defacto opening day starter with most managers, however, Liriano has looked like the best starter in pre-season and Stroman just won the MVP of the WBC...

Personally, I'd prefer that the coaching staff look at how all five guys have fared against the opposition line up in recent starts. If it's a team that struggles against lefties, start Liriano or Happ. If the team has trouble with off-speed stuff, start Marco.

If none of those things are a major factor, then Sanchez ges the start. (I think it's important to remember that being the opening day starter is a point of pride for pitchers, and the Jays might want to do a bit of fence mending with AS)

Actually I really like this idea that's a great approach imo, much better then putting pressure on someone to be the leader on your team, just because.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Forgot to post this the other day regarding Pagan. Jays and Phillies are supposedly the front runners for him, but I don't think it will happen with him wanting the everyday position, plus money wise, as stated before they would have to trade someone imo.

Report: Blue Jays, Phillies connected to Pagan

On Thursday, one day after Pagan broke up Marcus Stroman's no-hit bid in the seventh inning of the WBC championship game, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reported that the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies are connected to the 35-year-old outfielder.

Pagan, who earned $11.25 million in 2016, wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed an everyday role with the Blue Jays or Phillies, though. In Toronto, Pagan would likely platoon in left field with Melvin Upton Jr., and his playing time would probably be even more sporadic in Philadelphia, where he'd likely be used to spell offseason additions Howie Kendrick and Michael Saunders.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1262270

Saw this recently also and I hope Shatkins pull the trigger and sign him to a short term deal. Zeke got into a collision with Pillar during one game in ST and needed help getting off the field. He could play but he may not be 100%. That's when the possibility of signing Pagan comes into play. Regarding our 5 man rotation, I agree with @RUPERTKBD that anyone can start Opening Day because they can all dominate in their own way with the different pitching arsenals they have and the way they put batters away with ease. I would've personally have put Sanchez or Stro as OD starter with one snap of a finger. You could make a case for Stroman since he may be tired with the pitching load he had at WBC but the way he was going, he didn't look tired at all and he can easily be our starter for next game though most likely Sanchez will be next, followed by Happ so we might not see Stro till the 4th game of the season. Last year, I believe he was 3rd-4th starter in the rotation and he was solid and came as advertised. He had some games where he had terrible command and Gibby was forced to go to BP early sometimes so that's why Stro didn't have the bestest of seasons but when it comes playoffs, he is the guy next to Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, and Liriano. He was also overshadowed by Sanchez's Cy Young like winning year. Almost pulled it off. Oh well just a couple weeks till the season get underway and I'm looking forward to another exciting year. Go Jays

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's not a terrible idea. I think anyone who's played 3rd (and 2nd) can adapt to plying first. The question is, at this point of his career, is his bat a big enough upgrade over Smoak's to make it worthwhile?

I'm still kind of hoping that we can land Pagan and set up some kind of platoon, where both Bats and Pearce get time at first and we rotate the two of them along with Zeke and Pompey (when he's healthy) through the outfield psoitions.

Smoak and Bossman could be moved for some Bullpen help...

I need a reason to bust out my Lawrie jersey, though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

I need a reason to bust out my Lawrie jersey, though.

I don't know Shiz, I still see people rocking Halladay, Alomar and Carter jerseys at Skydome, but for sure, I'd welcome Brett back if the Jays decided to pick him up.

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Got a Vernon Wells jersey in my younger years. He immediately started his decline afterwards. I almost bought a Ricky Romero jersey too...

The timing is unfortunate but Vernon Wells is one of my favourite Jays of all time. If it makes you feel better I have David Price's lmao.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Saw this recently also and I hope Shatkins pull the trigger and sign him to a short term deal. Zeke got into a collision with Pillar during one game in ST and needed help getting off the field. He could play but he may not be 100%. That's when the possibility of signing Pagan comes into play. Regarding our 5 man rotation, I agree with @RUPERTKBD that anyone can start Opening Day because they can all dominate in their own way with the different pitching arsenals they have and the way they put batters away with ease. I would've personally have put Sanchez or Stro as OD starter with one snap of a finger. You could make a case for Stroman since he may be tired with the pitching load he had at WBC but the way he was going, he didn't look tired at all and he can easily be our starter for next game though most likely Sanchez will be next, followed by Happ so we might not see Stro till the 4th game of the season. Last year, I believe he was 3rd-4th starter in the rotation and he was solid and came as advertised. He had some games where he had terrible command and Gibby was forced to go to BP early sometimes so that's why Stro didn't have the bestest of seasons but when it comes playoffs, he is the guy next to Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, and Liriano. He was also overshadowed by Sanchez's Cy Young like winning year. Almost pulled it off. Oh well just a couple weeks till the season get underway and I'm looking forward to another exciting year. Go Jays

Yes we need Pagan. Hopefully Overlord Atkins makes it happen.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Well Zeke played yesterday when they played against team Canada and he's playing LF today and leading off against the Tigers so he must be good enough to play in just ST games. Upton also is supposedly back today from his minor injury... I just don't see the room here until a trade is made, trade Upton and Pagan is here guaranteed. 

Stroman was given the Starting job last year, and penciled in as the teams ace. It was discussed last year on here, how it was to much pressure for him to handle which is what probably caused some of his struggles last year. I think it messed with him a bit being that young and feeling like it's his job to carry this team, just got into his head to much when he should of just been concentrating on pitching. Maybe management feels they don't want to put that onto Sanchez this year, in case it also plays with his mind and affects his performance this year. Whatever the reasons are will never know the truth anyways lol, but as Rupert said just start the guy who is best fit for who they'll be facing is the best way of doing it imo.

• Upvote 1