The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

18 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I just think looking at the team they've gotten old considerably quickly. Martin and Tulo have definitely become anchors along with the current bullpen. If anything, the biggest goal this off-season should be offloading Martin and Tulo while also trying to pick up a good catcher and some small contract bullpen help. 

I agree with Tulo, but after Martin went down I thought his value to this team was obvious. He's great defensively and really helps the pitching staff. I don't like him making 20M at all but we can't really do much about that. Only way we get rid of Martin is if we have another catcher lined up and we don't currently have that. We don't even have a capable backup for him.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

He is 19 and has never played at even a AA level. I guarantee that he will not start the season with the Jays next year 

You could be right, but if you watch the way he plays he's very close to putting it all together. As you said, he is only 19 and needs some experience for sure.

6 hours ago, Xbox said:

I agree with Tulo, but after Martin went down I thought his value to this team was obvious. He's great defensively and really helps the pitching staff. I don't like him making 20M at all but we can't really do much about that. Only way we get rid of Martin is if we have another catcher lined up and we don't currently have that. We don't even have a capable backup for him.

The Cubs could want to replace Arrieta this offseason, might be a trade where the Blue Jays can get Contreras as a return. I think Lucroy is a free agent this off season too, then again he's not much of a replacement for Martin either. Outside of catchers, it would be amazing if the Blue Jays somehow picked up Shohei Otani. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2017 at 11:51 AM, TheHitman said:

I just think looking at the team they've gotten old considerably quickly. Martin and Tulo have definitely become anchors along with the current bullpen. If anything, the biggest goal this off-season should be offloading Martin and Tulo while also trying to pick up a good catcher and some small contract bullpen help. 

I do agree as well with off loading Martin, not going to lie been saying that since the beginning of last year. No question he's a good catcher but 20M a season worth... He's like Tulo they can play their position well, but their bat isn't coming through for a 20M a season player, their younger selfs were worth that. I do agree with @Xbox though in a way in how Martin catches the pitchers, because you could really see the difference with a starting catcher for the pitching staff compared to 2nd string catcher this year. If they were to off load Martin they'd definitely have to aquire another starter for sure and not hope on backups to fill that role. Also regarding Martin he's going to be 35 next year and injuries are starting to happen to him, and catching is very hard on the knees it does affect a lot of catchers, he did seem very interested in wanting to play 3B there this year maybe looking at other options away from the plate...

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The wrong Right team won, but I was happy to see Joe Smith pitch so well last night. The best trades are the ones that help both teams and hopefully, Pannone and Taylor will be solid players for the Jays in years to come.

FTFYB)

I hate when Play by Play guys are talking about a ball hit to left field in Boston or Right Field at Yankee Stadium and say things like "Any other ball park and that's a fly ball out".

Guess what? Whoever is at bat isn't hitting at "any other ball park". Their approach at the plate is dictated by the field in front of them. If a player hits into the shift, you don't hear PBP guys saying that any other defensive formation and that's a single...

• Upvote 2