The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would you like to see FILL the vacant GM/(maybe coach). Position?

Skrody

President: Trevor Linden

GM: Joe Will

AGM: Laurence Gilman

Coach: John Stevens

Trevor Linden already chosen.

Joe Will is AGM for the Sharks and his fingerprints are all over their excellent drafting and acquisition of undervalued players. A money ball type manager.

Laurence GIlman as the capologist and to preserve some continuity with the Gillis era.

John Stevens for his good coaching record with the Flyers and excellent work with the PK for the Kings.

Joe Will really should be getting a lot more attention.

I'd like to bring in a guy who understands and has previous experience with Western conference teams, I think we saw case and point with Torts how vast the contrast is between the two conferences. For example Torts has a history of playing the heck out of his best players, that may work in the East but considering travel and playing style it most certainly wasn't going to work in the West. Considering this I'd have McNabb as the leading candidate . I

I think Gilman is a no brainer. Cap compliance is a big deal in building a competitive team.He's had success in Phoenix and now here. I think he's underrated and should be given first preference.

Only thing I worry about Gilman is ,...Does he have an eye for talent,making trades etc..?...I know he's great at the contract end of things.

I started watching hockey because it was playoffs and the wings were playing some team I don't remember. I was too young the understand the game, but knew I had to pick a favorite player. That player was Shanahan. I don't remember the play, or the opponent, but since my friends watched hockey and I had it on, I decided I needed to root for a player. Fortunately or unfortunately that was the beginnings of my NHL fandom. I didn't watch regularly until I was old enough to understand the game, so this was more of a "which hockey cards to collect" than which player to watch, but it left it's mark.

Luckily enough for me, the player I picked out of that stanley cup playoff match to watch went on to win three stanley cups, become a part of the braintrust to change to temp of the game, and then head the department to begin to stop brain injuries and other unfortunate results of the game he loves.

For nostalgic reasons I nominate Shanahan for Gm. It probably won't happen, and that's fine. If it does, you heard it here first. Nostalgia aside, he'd do a better job than any other of the candidates out there.

-Drewismyname.

I'm not joking.

I know Canucks fans have a lot of grudges against NHL bigwigs but if they could put that aside and grow up a bit I think Shanny would be one of the best candidates for the job.

The guy knows hockey.

Does he though?

Nice post.

I agree.

Linden

Shanahan

Tortorella

Why Tortorella is a great coach for this team?

The Sedins' cycle has been exposed throughout the years. Torts is a dump and chase and hurt them for the puck type of guy.

If he can just let the Sedins play, with Burrows as he's best fits on this line, do their thing, put defensemen who know how to play with the Sedins, and:

Build the rest of the team to grind it out with a dump and chase style.

All of a sudden, teams have a harder time to adapt to the Sedins' cycle because the entire rest of the game, they get beat up by a dump and chase hurt them down low style.

While Shanahan brings in big, skilled boys who can play with the best if them all.

The draft instantly becomes better and the league welcomes the Canucks in the old boys club.

Perfect.

I'm not joking.

I know Canucks fans have a lot of grudges against NHL bigwigs but if they could put that aside and grow up a bit I think Shanny would be one of the best candidates for the job.

The guy knows hockey.

I don't hold any grudges against Shanahan, he hasn't been exactly partial against Vancouver, anymore than anyone else... besides, he's barely been with them for five years.

That said, I doubt he'd take a GM post.

First of all i don't think how long his tenure with the disciplinary dept has been would matter. If i were him I'd keep his current position too considering the fans in VAN. Just saying, he'd be a great GM for the Nucks and a hell of a lot better than Naslund or any other of the options out there.

OP edited to remove caps

Mark Messier for GM/Head Coach.

Haha, okay I'm obviously kidding.

Jim Bennig for GM. The guy has won a Cup in Boston, but he also knows how to scout for players, assess their skill set, and he's a western boy (an ex-Canuck, mind you).

Honourable mentions: Wayne Gretzky, Joe Niewendyke, Jay Feaster, Stan Smyl

Scott Neidermayer for Head Coach. He's actually a pretty effective teacher, has a big hand in Anaheim's surge, helped young stars like Fowler find their game. Can teach our young stars how to prepare for the game. Won nearly every championship a North American player could win, and is a BC boy.

Honourable mentions: Larry Robinson, Martin Gelinas

Maybe add David McNab to the voting options for GM?

He's been generating a fair amount of discussion on other boards and he'd definitely be a strong candidate (if he's interested and if the Canucks could poach his services).

Here's a link to a good bio on McNab (or open spoiler to view): http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=83059599&postcount=254

DAVID MCNAB

Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations

An original member of the Ducks, David McNab is now in his 36th consecutive year in the NHL and 21st with Anaheim. McNab served as Anaheims Assistant General Manager for 14 seasons before being promoted to his current position in 2008. His duties include overseeing all aspects of player development, having an expertise on the new Collective Bargaining Agreement and its relationship to the salary cap in the NHL, contract and arbitration negotiation, player evaluation and scouting.

McNabs impact on the Ducks is significant. He has been part of Anaheims run to two Stanley Cup Finals (2003 & 2007), including a championship in 2007. The club advanced to the Conference Finals in 2006 and the Conference Semifinals in 2009. In recent years, McNab has scouted and signed numerous collegiate free agents who have made major contributions to the success of the club.

Prior to being named as the Ducks Assistant General Manager in December of 1995, the 57-year-old McNab was the clubs first Director of Player Personnel and was largely responsible for the teams selections in the 1994-96 NHL Entry and Supplemental Drafts. McNab has also held the position as General Manager of the Ducks top farm team in the American Hockey League for six seasons (the Baltimore Bandits during the 1996-97 season and the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks from 1997-2002) while also working on the AHLs competition committee for many of those years.

Considered to be one of the hardest working and knowledgeable scouts in the National Hockey League, McNab began his professional scouting career in 1978 with the Washington Capitals, where he spent four seasons. In 1982, McNab was signed by the Hartford Whalers, where he spent seven seasons as a scout, the last two as the Director of Player Recruitment. He then joined the New York Rangers in 1989, where he worked for four seasons before leaving to join the Disney-owned Ducks in 1993. His work with the Rangers helped the club to the 1994 Stanley Cup championship.

A graduate of the University of Wisconsin in 1978 with a degree in Communication Arts, McNab was also a goaltender on one of the greatest college hockey teams of all-time, the 1977 University of Wisconsin Badgers NCAA championship team. He was drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the ninth round of the 1975 NHL Entry Draft (151st overall). McNab has worked on numerous occasions for USA Hockey, both as an Assistant General Manager for the United States in the World Championships on three different occasions, as well as serving as a consultant for the 1984, 1988 and 1992 United States Olympic Teams. He has also been a three-time member of the selection committee that votes for the Hobey Baker Award, college hockeys version of the Heisman Trophy.

A member of one of the most respected families in the NHL, McNab is the son of the late Max McNab and brother of Peter McNab. Max played on the 1950 Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings and was a former general manager with the Washington Capitals and New Jersey Devils. He was also a recipient of the 1998 Lester Patrick Award given annually for outstanding service to hockey in the United States. Peter played in 954 NHL games, scoring 363 goals and 813 points in a 14-year career. Peter is currently a broadcaster with the Colorado Avalanche.

David McNab was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, but grew up in San Diego, California and graduated from Point Loma High School in San Diego in 1973. He became a U.S. citizen in 1983. He and his wife, Kari, were married in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1989 and have two daughters, Ali (22) and Erica (21). The McNab family resides in Yorba Linda, California

McNab's background reads like a wishlist for the skills and experience the Canucks should be looking for in a new GM. He's been one of the best scouts in the business, directed player personnel, been an AHL GM, and now works as the Ducks' Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations (basically he's #2 to GM Bob Murray).

McNab's fingerprints are all over the success that's been built in Anaheim, including their Stanley Cup win and their recent return to top contender status. He's also had a large hand in their many wins at the draft table. He has a proven track record for identifying and developing talent. And he's also renowned for his abilities as a capologist and CBA expert.

He's also a west coast guy (his family lives in California) with connections to Vancouver (was born here but he grew-up in San Diego).

Definitely a great choice for building a team that can win in the new Pacific Division.

McNab pretty much ticks every box.

EDIT: With Linden now confirmed as the new President, McNab looks like an even better option for GM.

The Canucks are going to need someone with a strong background and experience in the nuts and bolts of team building and hockey ops (plus extensive knowledge of the CBA and salary cap).

Trevor is a quick study but he's going to be looking at a very steep learning curve unless he can delegate many of the "details" of Hockey Operations to a qualified GM.

Let Linden work the "big picture" and be the public "face" of the franchise, but with an experienced guy working directly below him as the GM.

I made that thought about Dmc a while back he gets no discussion on this board he has earned his way up the ranks.

I started watching hockey because it was playoffs and the wings were playing some team I don't remember. I was too young the understand the game, but knew I had to pick a favorite player. That player was Shanahan. I don't remember the play, or the opponent, but since my friends watched hockey and I had it on, I decided I needed to root for a player. Fortunately or unfortunately that was the beginnings of my NHL fandom. I didn't watch regularly until I was old enough to understand the game, so this was more of a "which hockey cards to collect" than which player to watch, but it left it's mark.

Luckily enough for me, the player I picked out of that stanley cup playoff match to watch went on to win three stanley cups, become a part of the braintrust to change to temp of the game, and then head the department to begin to stop brain injuries and other unfortunate results of the game he loves.

For nostalgic reasons I nominate Shanahan for Gm. It probably won't happen, and that's fine. If it does, you heard it here first. Nostalgia aside, he'd do a better job than any other of the candidates out there.

-Drewismyname.

Likely be leaf property to run that circus there.

Archived