The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I know its stupid. Some of us who wer actualy paying atention said it had to be fast but after several days now its become obvious its over and now with reports bening is no longer interested in the offer. I would cry if linden seddles on mcphee would be a catastrophey

Do you have any sources for these reports? Or are you speculating on your own speculation?

"The Canucks’ interim management team is working under the assumption a new man may not be in charge until after the entry draft in Philadelphia, June 27-28. Vancouver has the sixth pick."

I think it is safe to assume we might not get our GM until after the draft. If we want a guy who is familiar with drafting and scouting then it is unlikely a team would give up that guy until after the draft just so we don't steal their picks.

Pittsburgh is probably going to stick with Jason Botterill. I don't think Boston will let us sign Benning until after the draft, he is a big part of their drafting and scouting so it only makes sense.

People are over reacting about not having a GM yet.

So who will be drafting for our team? Linden? I don't think its a good idea to do drafts before hiring the new GM. We have to sign him before the draft so the new GM could get to work right away in rebuilding this team.

"The Canucks interim management team is working under the assumption a new man may not be in charge until after the entry draft in Philadelphia, June 27-28. Vancouver has the sixth pick."

I think it is safe to assume we might not get our GM until after the draft. If we want a guy who is familiar with drafting and scouting then it is unlikely a team would give up that guy until after the draft just so we don't steal their picks.

If we need hire a GM in order to steal another teams' picks, then our scouting staff needs to go.

Pretty sure this is irrelevant, but it might be an excuse for the Canucks to pick the wrong guys again if there's no precious new gm in place.

"The Canucks’ interim management team is working under the assumption a new man may not be in charge until after the entry draft in Philadelphia, June 27-28. Vancouver has the sixth pick."

Linden might just sign Shero if Benning isn't coming by the time the draft begins. We can't be hiring a GM after the draft which is critical in team building, especially with the high draft pick we have this year. Its not a race but we can't be waiting on our hands until next season starts and be doing nothing during that time when the biggest off-season changes need to happen this year. We would also miss on some great coaching candidates due to this. Linden said that he would hire the GM by the end of May so I doubt he would wait that long for Benning.

If we need hire a GM in order to steal another teams' picks, then our scouting staff needs to go.

Pretty sure this is irrelevant, but it might be an excuse for the Canucks to pick the wrong guys again if there's no precious new gm in place.

I wouldn't have a problem if the Canucks hire Shero. He seems like a great GM that did pretty good in Pittsburgh and he does great in trades. We might have the scouting staff but the GM should be the one making the final decisions on who to pick in the draft since he would be the one trying to make puzzle pieces fit. The scouting staff would be there to tell the GM the information they have regarding the players in the draft but they shouldn't be the people picking players in the draft.

So who will be drafting for our team? Linden? I don't think its a good idea to do drafts before hiring the new GM. We have to sign him before the draft so the new GM could get to work right away in rebuilding this team.

Let's just abstain from the draft altogether then...

Linden might just sign Shero if Benning isn't coming by the time the draft begins. We can't be hiring a GM after the draft which is critical in team building, especially with the high draft pick we have this year. Its not a race but we can't be waiting on our hands until next season starts and be doing nothing during that time when the biggest off-season changes need to happen this year. We would also miss on some great coaching candidates due to this. Linden said that he would hire the GM by the end of May so I doubt he would wait that long for Benning.

Boston didn't hire Chiarelli until after the 2006 draft. In that draft they took Kessel, Lucic, Marchand. You can't jump the gun and hire a guy who isn't the one you want when all you have to do is be patient if you want the guy on the top of your list. There isn't much a new GM could right now when it comes to the draft other than give his opinion and rankings on players in the draft. We have scouts for a reason.

Here is a guy who likes to look on the bright side. Not cynical at all.

Boston didn't hire Chiarelli until after the 2006 draft. In that draft they took Kessel, Lucic, Marchand. You can't jump the gun and hire a guy who isn't the one you want when all you have to do is be patient if you want the guy on the top of your list. There isn't much a new GM could right now when it comes to the draft other than give his opinion and rankings on players in the draft. We have scouts for a reason.

You mean you cant just go hire someone off the street? You might have to think the process through? Better go tell Linden before he does something silly.

I was just thinking the other day that the way to go was to put an ad in Craigslist so we could rush a guy in to run the draft.

Hey, like TorontoMapleLeafs says, we would have some cluck to blame if it all went down the crapper. Right?

Perhaps there is another candidate on the table they weren't expecting .

Of course.. if a new high-profile GM were on the market they'd be stupid not to give an interview. Still, holding Benning until after the draft would be a Boston move for sure.

You mean you cant just go hire someone off the street? You might have to think the process through? Better go tell Linden before he does something silly.

I was just thinking the other day that the way to go was to put an ad in Craigslist so we could rush a guy in to run the draft.

Hey, like TorontoMapleLeafs says, we would have some cluck to blame if it all went down the crapper. Right?

No, I think you misunderstood. I'm saying we shouldn't hire Shero if we can get Benning after the draft.

Perhaps there is another candidate on the table they weren't expecting .

I'm thinking Nashville's AGM Paul Fenton could be the other guy.

It's seeming like this isn't going to happen until after the draft, which really sucks. I don't want our scouts and gilman deciding who gets picked at the draft. Someone not afraid to take a chance needs to be calling the shots.

Of course.. if a new high-profile GM were on the market they'd be stupid not to give an interview. Still, holding Benning until after the draft would be a Boston move for sure.

My business experience is limited to a level that leaves me helpless to try to even picture it but I will try. My guess -and that is all it would be- is that the scouts are busy compliing data. They wont be in until after the combine. So the GMs are really 'frozen' so to speak when it comes to which way the wind blows.

I dont believe a GM can walk into a new situation so dependent upon employees and off the seat of his pants make determinations. So in our case my bet is Linden huddles with Gilman and sifts through the scouting reports and recommendations.

Sound reasonable?

No, I think you misunderstood. I'm saying we shouldn't hire Shero if we can get Benning after the draft.

I'm thinking Nashville's AGM Paul Fenton could be the other guy.

No I understood. I can see why you would think I didnt. I meant to make it look that way. You believe we should take Benning instead of Shero. I don't know. Shero has some fairly decent success as a GM as has Benning , albeit with a safety net.

Benning was considered the front runner but few expected Shero to become avail. To make a more drastic comparison, we could be ready to announce Benning and all of a sudden Kenny Holland gets fired...........

My business experience is limited to a level that leaves me helpless to try to even picture it but I will try. My guess -and that is all it would be- is that the scouts are busy compliing data. They wont be in until after the combine. So the GMs are really 'frozen' so to speak when it comes to which way the wind blows.

I dont believe a GM can walk into a new situation so dependent upon employees and off the seat of his pants make determinations. So in our case my bet is Linden huddles with Gilman and sifts through the scouting reports and recommendations.

Sound reasonable?

Yes .. perhaps too much common sense for the trog's tho.

Of course the right choice needs to be made, but it's just as important to act swiftly before the music stops and you don't have a chair. Especially when you have an incompetent scouting staff and a draft rapidly approaching.

Archived