The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Reading one of the articles, Benning's father described him as a man of few words but someone who shows it through his actions. I think Gillis/Burke are total opposites of Benning which is a good thing. He does not have that stubborn lawyer ego that the two had, but is not afraid to become cold and calculated to make tough decisions.

Doesn't sound like anything is going to be changing with the scouting staff after what Benning said and calling them "all great people" Ron Delrome needs to be fired, already. He should have been years ago.

I don't see how this new reign is doing to be any different then Gillis era. Ownership will continue to meddle and with Linden now in the fold, is Benning really going to have final say and decision. I'm not fan of Linden hire as it was nothing more then PR stunt. When Trevor was hired and said he came in with open mind on Torts, which I never believed for second. His mind was already made up. I can't believe Linden would be so clueless as to bring back core for another year which will result in missing the playoffs again. Torts said it best about this Canucks "Stagnet". So very true.

Canucks fans:

Our 2013 draft was kickass!

Canucks fans:

Fire Delorme and the scouts!

Um, whut?

Do you really have to ask why?

Scouting has been actious for years.

I forgot tho. This is coming from the guy who said Price faked injury :lol::rolleyes:

Benning said he would try to make the current scouts better at what they do, but things can change if he isn't impressed or they keep making a list of prospects Benning does not like. Also same goes for the core and Gilman Henning.

Doesn't sound like anything is going to be changing with the scouting staff after what Benning said and calling them "all great people" Ron Delrome needs to be fired, already. He should have been years ago.

I don't see how this new reign is doing to be any different then Gillis era. Ownership will continue to meddle and with Linden now in the fold, is Benning really going to have final say and decision. I'm not fan of Linden hire as it was nothing more then PR stunt. When Trevor was hired and said he came in with open mind on Torts, which I never believed for second. His mind was already made up. I can't believe Linden would be so clueless as to bring back core for another year which will result in missing the playoffs again. Torts said it best about this Canucks "Stagnet". So very true.

So you're expecting Benning to walk in here and start firing staff on the spot..FYI..Delorme no longer has final call on draft picks..Eric Crawford does.

Benning said he would try to make the current scouts better at what they do, but things can change if he isn't impressed or they keep making a list of prospects Benning does not like. Also same goes for the core and Gilman Henning.

That is the kind of guy we want. He wants results, and he expects them. But he will give you a chance to show your worth, and will try and help you get better. I don't think we're going to get any Ballard type trades under the new regime. I also like how both Linden and Benning are talking in DECADES. They both seem to want the gig, and want to be here for a very long time.

So you're expecting Benning to walk in here and start firing staff on the spot..FYI..Delorme no longer has final call on draft picks..Eric Crawford does.

No. But when Benning says what he did about scouting staff it doesn't sound like he's going to make any changes. Drafting has never been strong suit for this oragnization in his entire history.

That is the kind of guy we want. He wants results, and he expects them. But he will give you a chance to show your worth, and will try and help you get better. I don't think we're going to get any Ballard type trades under the new regime. I also like how both Linden and Benning are talking in DECADES. They both seem to want the gig, and want to be here for a very long time.

The fact that they're not only thinking about tomorrow, but years from now, files me with optimism. Gilles always seemed to be making it up as he went along, the future be damned!

Give the man 5min in the job, before he sacks everybody...

No. But when Benning says what he did about scouting staff it doesn't sound like he's going to make any changes. Drafting has never been strong suit for this oragnization in his entire history.

Sounds to me like the change is going to come from Benning actually doing a ton of amateur scouting himself, going into the trenches with the guys. Seems to me like that is uncommon for a GM.

Do you really have to ask why?

Scouting has been actious for years.

I forgot tho.

You don't have to inform me about our drafting record. What's confusing is that people around here acted like the 2013 draft was a godsend, but still want the scouts gone. So what is it?

CDC is bi-polar indeed.

You don't have to inform me about our drafting record. What's confusing is that people around here acted like the 2013 draft was a godsend, but still want the scouts gone. So what is it?

CDC is bi-polar indeed.

Canucks usually find way to mess up and pick the wrong player at draft. That's why people are calling for scouts to be gone. Especially when Linden says the player they pick will be the cornerstore of this organization for years to come.

Suggesting Gillis was arrogant during his intro as GM is a stretch to me. He is saying a lot of the same things that Benning did. Incoming GM's have no great insight into the people they will be dealing. Was Gillis short with the media? How could he not be? There are a lot of idiots in the presstitute corp in

Vancouver. The presstitutes were asking Benning the same questions they asked Gillis.

Archived