The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Best description of Botchford I've heard? "Fart in an outhouse..." :lol:

Bennings makes too much sense. Yes he has the cred. But its also who you know, where you're from...

Knows Linden and from Western Canada!

I also like that he has been promoted quickly wherever he has been. Ex: scout to director of amateur scouting, to director of player personnel, to AGM. Each place he has been, he's been promoted within a year or two, so he obviously tunes in and impresses as soon as he arrives.

Cred?

Hey, Boston has kept their stars and integrated young players. Despite being top of the heap. They came up on Krecji, Lucic and Marchand to compliment Chara and the boys. And commited to them before it was obvious to everybody else how much sense it made. They're a top defensive team, but this year with injuries and suspensions guys like Krug, Miller (26 year old rookie) has been steady when I watched, and Hamilton have all been key players. Bartkowski, another Providence callup with Miller has almost as many points in the NHL as the AHL this year. Look how well they developed D men and were able to call them up and fill key roles as required.

Point being Benning and his past organization(see the way i did that :rolleyes: ) have shrewdly used UFA, trades, cap management, LTIR, drafting, commited early to their young guys (Marchand, Lucic), unsigned college players, you name it, to build their team. Benning definitely has some cred.

The Seguin trade sure was interesting. On the one hand I didn't like it because Seguin is a stud...but on the other hand if you watch the meeting with the Boston execs making the decision...I really respect that they made a very tough decision based on maintaining a certain "culture" ...I dunno..I respect that kind of decision making I guess.

Kept their stars except Seguin that is. But that trade is working out for them atm. They have integrated Reilly Smith who filled a key hole and also have Eriksson to show for the deal. Combined they have more points than TS plus two way presence. Boston needed wing scoring (to replace Horton), and picked up Eriksson, Smith and Iginla for half the cap of Seguin and Horton. How's that for managing cap, being decisive and filling your team needs? Now, you may find them trading up in the draft as long term they don't look great at center having lost Seguin. They might also seemlessly have a center (Khokhlachev ?). But if not and they win another cup nobody will remember!

And gave up Kessel, but we all know how that went as well...

As much as he "helps" Chiarelli ... his drafting/scouting looks horrible :/

seems pretty stubborn, once he has a bad sense of a player, he would push for a change to be done (Behind the B's, Tyler Seguin trade segment)

Sure he drafted some guy name Tomas Vanek, but more misses than hits during his tenure there.

Which is why I really like Mike Futa from the LA Kings. Pearson, Toffoli

Sure Jim Benning is a frontrunner, but will he say yes? According to Jason Botchford - the guy might not even accept the offer

Actually, Gary Valk was saying just this very thing this afternoon, suggesting that Benning might decline the Canucks offer and take the Capitals GM job for a couple of reasons:

1) he'd prefer to stay in the Eastern Conference where has spent his entire career and maybe even more importantly

2) he'd look at the landscape in the West and see that the Canucks don't have the team to compete with the California teams for the foreseeable future and possibly for a few years, and that our prospect depth might be a little lacking.

Anyways, it might not be the fait accompli everyone believes it to be.

Actually, Gary Valk was saying just this very thing this afternoon, suggesting that Benning might decline the Canucks offer and take the Capitals GM job for a couple of reasons:

1) he'd prefer to stay in the Eastern Conference where has spent his entire career and maybe even more importantly

2) he'd look at the landscape in the West and see that the Canucks don't have the team to compete with the California teams for the foreseeable future and possibly for a few years, and that our prospect depth might be a little lacking.

What a joke. Washington doesn't even like hockey.

Vancouver breathes it

Washington isn't exactly in a position to storm the East either FWIW.

This smells of media trying to sell a story.

I doubt what Conference he's in will play into it much. He's a Western Canadian guy who has been a part of the Canucks organization. That goes a long ways as well.

I see the Canucks having more of the pieces to be a contender again than the Caps. With Ovechkin and Backstrom leading the way, I don't see the Caps winning the Cup anytime soon.

A couple big moves with the Canucks and they're closer than people may think IMO. Having a 6th overall pick helps any GM to start a good rebuild too, so that adds to it.

Washington isn't exactly in a position to storm the East either FWIW.

This smells of media trying to sell a story.

I doubt what Conference he's in will play into it much. He's a Western Canadian guy who has been a part of the Canucks organization. That goes a long ways as well.

I see the Canucks having more of the pieces to be a contender again than the Caps. With Ovechkin and Backstrom leading the way, I don't see the Caps winning the Cup anytime soon.

A couple big moves with the Canucks and they're closer than people may think IMO. Having a 6th overall pick helps any GM to start a good rebuild too, so that adds to it.

The caps do have Kuznetsov who is electric, Wilson and Johansson, perhaps Orlov (stretching here) as grade A young talent. And solidly established Erskine, but more notably Carlson and Alzner coming into their prime. There is a lot behind Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Never mind GM, Washington would make a great trade partner for Kesler right now. They need to toughen up and find a defensive center, and they look pretty legit. Kesler plus a 2knd for John Carlson, Eric Fehr (highly serviceable depth big RW) and their 13th overall???

The caps do have Kuznetsov who is electric, Wilson and Johansson, perhaps Orlov (stretching here) as grade A young talent. And solidly established Erskine, but more notably Carlson and Alzner coming into their prime. There is a lot behind Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Never mind GM, Washington would make a great trade partner for Kesler right now. They need to toughen up and find a defensive center, and they look pretty legit. Kesler plus a 2knd for John Carlson, Eric Fehr (highly serviceable depth big RW) and their 13th overall???

The Canucks have Tanev, Kassian, Corrado, and Jensen who are all good young players. Not to mention prospects like Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce who are inching closer. As well as a 6th overall pick to add to their already decent pool.

There's lots coming up for the Canucks as well behind a veteran group.

Regardless, my point was that Ovechkin is not a leader, and will always disappear when his team needs him. He's not a guy that seems to have much interest in winning a cup. Backstrom is also a great talent, but not a first line center that will lead a team deep in the playoffs.

Best description of Botchford I've heard? "Fart in an outhouse..."

Kept their stars except Seguin that is. But that trade is working out for them atm. They have integrated Reilly Smith who filled a key hole and also have Eriksson to show for the deal. Combined they have more points than TS plus two way presence. Boston needed wing scoring (to replace Horton), and picked up Eriksson, Smith and Iginla for half the cap of Seguin and Horton. How's that for managing cap, being decisive and filling your team needs? Now, you may find them trading up in the draft as long term they don't look great at center having lost Seguin. They might also seemlessly have a center (Khokhlachev ?). But if not and they win another cup nobody will remember!

And gave up Kessel, but we all know how that went as well...

I would have gone with "Outhouse Backsplash" but to each his own.

Do not forget Joe Morrow.

He's a huge sleeper in that deal.

2013/07/04 Boston Bruins traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Dallas Stars for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

2013/03/24 Pittsburgh Penguins traded Joe Morrow and a fifth-round pick in 2013 to the Dallas Stars for Brenden Morrow and a third-round pick in 2013.

2011/06/24 Drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1st round (23rd overall) in 2011.

Archived