The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Only Canucks games I ever fell asleep watching was Canucks vs Predators. :(

ppl complain about too much defence and conservative hockey, trotz is pretty much the king of that

Trotz coaches to what he has. When he had a offensive team the were 4th in the league in scoring. Since the teams strength is defence he had a more defensive style. If u look at preds personal that trap game was the only way for them to win.

Do you watch a lot of Predator games?

Or are you just repeating the stuff all the cool kids say?

i watched vancouver play them in the playoffs and it sucked couldn't wait for the series to end do to the extremely boring garbage style of play. Trotz make Torts look like a offense first coach.

are you saying the preds didn't/don't play the boringest style of hockey possible. might fly in nashville but there is no way i'm dropping hundreds of dollars to get put to sleep.

no thanks to garbage trap boring hockey. Hockey is suppose to be entertaining not painfully slow and boring.(atleast in canada)

but thanks for the compliment on being a "cool kid"

Trotz coaches to what he has. When he had a offensive team the were 4th in the league in scoring. Since the teams strength is defence he had a more defensive style. If u look at preds personal that trap game was the only way for them to win.

he was in nashville long enough that the team would have fit his mold to the style he likes best they might not have had the most offensive team but the management would have built the team to suit his needs to the type of players that fit his system. if it was one or two season of extreme trap hockey i would agree with you but it's been closer to 10 thats his system and his style thats the model he would bring in here.

he was in nashville long enough that the team would have fit his mold to the style he likes best they might not have had the most offensive team but the management would have built the team to suit his needs to the type of players that fit his system. if it was one or two season of extreme trap hockey i would agree with you but it's been closer to 10 thats his system and his style thats the model he would bring in here.

offensive players cost more than defensive players, and Nashville, historically, hasn't been willing to spend.

like has been pointed out, they finished 4th in goals for when they had offensive players, and have finished top 10 twice more since 05-06.

edit: and for what its worth, 3 top 10 finishes in goals for since 05-06 is the exact same as the canucks.

in fact, since that 2005-06 season, a span of 9 seasons, more or less, the canucks have scored precisely 64 more goals than the predators, 2043 vs 1979. a difference of 7.5 goals per season. 2.90 g/g vs 2.81 g/g.

offensive players cost more than defensive players, and Nashville, historically, hasn't been willing to spend.

like has been pointed out, they finished 4th in goals for when they had offensive players, and have finished top 10 twice more since 05-06.

edit: and for what its worth, 3 top 10 finishes in goals for since 05-06 is the exact same as the canucks.

in fact, since that 2005-06 season, a span of 9 seasons, more or less, the canucks have scored precisely 64 more goals than the predators, 2043 vs 1979. a difference of 7.5 goals per season. 2.90 g/g vs 2.81 g/g.

I

I do not believe Horvat is eligible to play AHL .. so Canucks, Junior or Europe?

It'll be junior than. I don't know that he's going to be good enough yet to make an NHL club.

Jensen I think will be here. Gaunce and Shink possibly.

Barring trades I think

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

UFA/prospect, Kesler, Kassian

Burrows, Matthias, Santorelli

Higgins, Richardson, Sestito

Booth

IMO if they can get rid of Booth for anything, trade Burrows for some value coming back this team is in much better shape to come out of this rebuild sooner.

i watched vancouver play them in the playoffs and it sucked couldn't wait for the series to end do to the extremely boring garbage style of play. Trotz make Torts look like a offense first coach.

are you saying the preds didn't/don't play the boringest style of hockey possible. might fly in nashville but there is no way i'm dropping hundreds of dollars to get put to sleep.

no thanks to garbage trap boring hockey. Hockey is suppose to be entertaining not painfully slow and boring.(atleast in canada)

but thanks for the compliment on being a "cool kid"

You obviously have a short attention span. I had no problem whatsoever enjoying that series.

Besides. the original point was (as others have pointed out as well) that coaches deal with the rosters they are given. Trotz had no choice but to play defensively responsible hockey because he had a team loaded at the back end and challenged up front.

To assume that he's incapable of coaching any other style given a different roster, is to show how little you know about being a professional hockey coach.

ppl complain about too much defence and conservative hockey, trotz is pretty much the king of that

I don't think you understand what his roster looked like. He had no choice but to play like that.

Do some research and look back to when he actually had offensive players for a couple years and you'll find out how wrong you are.

I've been all for re-tooling the roster in line with Torts vision of hockey, but if Linden/new GM want to go with a guy like Trotz I wouldn't be against the decision- he is a very good coach at using his teams effectively much like Tippet has done in PHX.

Only problem is I'd hate to see another year of the same team with a new coach- the Canucks roster needs a major shake up either way.

I've been all for re-tooling the roster in line with Torts vision of hockey, but if Linden/new GM want to go with a guy like Trotz I wouldn't be against the decision- he is a very good coach at using his teams effectively much like Tippet has done in PHX.

Only problem is I'd hate to see another year of the same team with a new coach- the Canucks roster needs a major shake up either way.

Yes, but Major? No

I see need to trade 1 core player and maybe a Hansen/Higgins level player, bring in youth.

Honestly, I have my problems with Torts, but anyone who tries to blame this teams lackluster performance this season on him, or at least a majority on him, didn't watch the same season I watched. At the beginning of the year, this team was playing well and it was evident Torts was one of the reasons. Then injuries came down and we pretty much had to field a roster of scratches, AHL players, and players just coming off injured reserve just to go back again. As he said, our group is old and stale without youth, excitement, spark, etc. That's why Santorelli was so big when we were hot. He provided energy throughout the lineup similar to how Burrows used to do before he was also played with injuries this year. Torts was given a roster good enough to be a wild card team or possibly, barely in the division top 3, had to deal with more injuries than I have ever seen in my life, and didn't really get the young guys in the lineup he wanted to. If I remember correctly, Torts was an advocate of Horvat and Shink at least getting 5 or so games with the team to see if they could possibly stay. Torts is a good coach. Just wait until next year when he has a healthy talented roster with some youth.

However, one thing I'll admit he is not good at, or whoever the special teams coach is, is the PP… Need to get better at that as soon as possible.

His coaching style is boring and the predators are boring as crap.

His coaching style is based on the roster he is given by his General Manager. Only someone with an extremely limited knowledge of the game would assume that a coach is capable of only one style of play....

Actually, you're wrong. But I still think he is a good coach.

Actually he's right. In the early 2000's the Preds were near the bottom of the league in scoring. They then began a steady climb which resulted in a top five offense in the '06-'07 season.

All under Barry Trotz.

Archived