The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where did it all go wrong?

Canuckler87

After game 2 in 2011, this team has seemed like they have a sense of entitlement. From management right on down to the players. They believe they are in the NHL elite, and they can turn it on when they want. I was really PO'd after Recchi made his comments that the Canucks were an arrogant team, but after watching them over the last few years, they just don't have the drive they did prior to game 3.

That arrogance is why we are not elite anymore. As to why we didn't make the playoffs, I think it was coaching. overplayed Kesler and the Sedins too early, encouraging shot blocking from players that should definitely not be shot blocking, and using the Sedins to kill penalties. All players have strengths and weaknesses and its up to the coach to recognize them and get the most out of what he has.

This team, as assembled, should be a good team. Maybe not elite anymore, but they should be above average.

Well officiating screwed us out of a cup in '94.

2011 phyically beaten by the last game and lousy officiating;

left the team broken.

This group had it all except they didn't have the refs. We still don't. Its simple vancouver is not going to ever win a cup.

I think this group should have been dismantled after the 2011 cup loss. Even after mathematically eliminated from the playoffs the refs still making dumb calls last night. Kessler was not happy with them. Swung his stick in disgust. Then they tried to injure a Sedin again. What a farce!

Gillis got fat and happy after the 2011 playoffs and didn't mind the store astutely enough. Little by little the pieces starting falling away and they weren't replaced. Torres left here and was replaced by Gillis' big free agent signing that summer, Marco Sturm. How was that addressing an issue responsibly? It just regressed one move at a time after that.

It's a problem traced back to bad drafting that left the team without proper prospects. The moment that sealed the deal was Nonis not drafting Kopitar, just imagine what this team could be with him. He addresses two major needs in playoff toughness/physicality and scoring.

I'd also say that the Canucks were never quite as good as some people like to think they were, so the decline isn't as big as it appears to some.

unfortunately we will never know just how good Luc would've been. But I will agree that this situation was started before Gillis became GM and that the 2 president trophy seasons I don't think this team was as good as the media and many fans believe. TBH I couldn't believe we made the finals.

Obviously having Burrows out most of the season and not producing when he did play hurt our team a lot. I'll take heat for this but I wanted to trade him last year when he looked to have lost a step and his value was very high for an un-drafted player.

Santorelli had given us what Raymond could not and had helped fill holes in our top six. His injury really sent us off the deep-end and we had to rely on Higgins and Hansen, although Higgins did fare ok, and that really sealed our fate our top six was a top three and easy to neutralize.

And I think if you compare the speed and agilty of the Sedins at the beginning and end of the season it would be a fair guess to say the Sedins were playing hurt in the heart of our season. So essentially our only healthy top six player was Kesler... Yikes...

I think if you look at the play of Kassian and Jensen there may have been mistakes made trying to fill in for injuries. Not sure why Kassian did not get more ice when we were desperate for wins. Playing Schroeder was another roster error imho as well.

All in all it was an injury filled campaign and Gillis could not find the right band-aid to get us through the free fall... Most likely whay he ended up walking the plank.

People who say we were trending down, getting old, stale, etc ... I say Torts should have at least got them in the playoffs. Whether we win a round or two ... probably not but at least 8th spot ... minimum. See Detroit Red Wings and Pitts with their massive man game injury lost.

Pitts #1 - 527

Det #2 - 417

Van #6 - 299

Not even close and Det and Pitts are in the playoffs. Don't even go down the route of it's who got injured, not the # of man games lost ... Det lost Dats and Z. Pitts lost Letang.

It all went wrong when Gillis introduced Torts as new coach of the Canucks.

It all went wrong because the team was built on a foundation of mile-high ego and pride, and little interest in the city or fans beyond some token acts of service at Canuck place.

The team was driving themselves to get vengence on the Hawks after two consecutive losses, but had no reason to connect to the fans, because everyone followed them fullheartedly no matter what. That's when things began to turn south. The club began to act like the emperors of the universe - they trademarked the colours blue and green, and attempted to ban the green men, as well as blue-green signs around the city (that don't even have to mention "Canucks" directly).

In short, they were beginning to feel entitled, and even after they lost, they never lost that attitude. Well guess what? Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. They went complacent, personal ego became more important than the team (or the city), and before long, they were just a bunch of individuals just playing it out... and eventually some began to want out.

The Canucks went south because of pride, and because MG ultimately built a culture that fed the players' egos more than anything. Worked well at first, but in the end, it collapsed.

Let me talk about where our hated rivals in Chicago went right (and why they are respected everywhere else):

In 2008, when Rocky took over the team, he began restoring honour in that club. He opened the doors to the Blackhawks, openly reaching out to the city. The players - they stopped being stars (before they even became stars) and became part and parcel with the Chicago community, getting involved in different community functions and events. The management, particularly Rocky Wirtz himself, opted to sit with the fans at the games (instead of in a press box), connecting with them. In addition, he built partnerships with other Chicago-area clubs, welcomed back retired Hawks as ambassadors, and reversed many old self-destructive policies his father exercised. That alone bought them respect in droves, even outside of Chicago, before they even won so much as one game.

On the ice, the players had character and purpose, because they put their egos down and began playing for their community and fans. Then, and only then, did they win. And did they ever win big. And for all their dominance, they are anything but the most hated team in the league (except for in Vancouver, of course). That, my friend, is called honour.

People who say we were trending down, getting old, stale, etc ... I say Torts should have at least got them in the playoffs. Whether we win a round or two ... probably not but at least 8th spot ... minimum. See Detroit Red Wings and Pitts with their massive man game injury lost.

Pitts #1 - 527

Det #2 - 417

Van #6 - 299

Not even close and Det and Pitts are in the playoffs. Don't even go down the route of it's who got injured, not the # of man games lost ... Det lost Dats and Z. Pitts lost Letang.

It all went wrong when Gillis introduced Torts as new coach of the Canucks.

Ok I'll answer this. I think you forget that Pittsburgh have Crosby and Malkin in their top six. Along with Neal and Kunitz.

Now let's compare Crosbys and Malkins point to our top two players named Sedin. That there is the reason why Pittsburgh is still up there in the standings. Pittsburgh have NO trouble scoring goals, this team does, a coach once said we need lots of scoring chances to score a goal.

Unless of course you want Torts to score the goals as well.

Archived