The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft #6

Royals123423

However, I would not take Sam Bennett If he dropped to 6th, purely because we already have a two way centre in Horvat. We need some skilled forwards like Galchenyuk in Montreal to compliment the future.

Only way we take Ehlers is if he ends up being the Memorial Cup MVP. Im guessing Linden is licking his chops at the chance to make the number 6 pick. Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander. Dal Colle could slip or LD, but I dont see it happening. Lots of potential top end players, after some top line development and seasoning we could have a gem. This draft is not as strong as last year but the top 10 is still solid.

This is probably true after Linden's comments, but it's a big shame if so. Ehlers is the best pure offensive player coming out of this draft, has the highest ceiling, and looks like the only real game-breaker in the lot. Some team is going to look really good in retrospect for taking a chance on this guy, and I'm still hoping it's us.

Its not a sure thing but there is a high chance of it happening. We are #6 so it would take only one team to pick a player outside of that consensus top 5. We really don't know what the top 5 teams in the draft are thinking since their draft order can sometimes be really different than the draft order central scouting or other experts have in mind.

I would disagree a bit there..I would say the top 5 go as predicted..in no particular order...Still,we should still get a good player..Canucks were lucky to get to the 6th pick.

I would say the top 5 go as predicted..in no particular order...Still,we should still get a good player..Canucks were lucky to get to the 6th pick.

Aside from Florida picking Aaron Ekblad at #1, there will definitely be a lot of movement from the Sabres and Oilers in the top 5.

I can see the Oilers wanting a defenceman and after not getting Ekblad, going the trade route. Perhaps throwing a package at Shea Weber with their 1st and maybe Yakupov.

Then Buffalo will take Sam Reinhart at #2. With Nashville and Calgary also in consensus to take one of the top remaining centreman (Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle)

What will be interesting for the Canucks is what Buffalo does with their second top 5 pick from the Vanek trade. They could take another centreman, but having just taken Reinhart and having someone like Hodgson on the roster already might lead them to take a winger (Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander). Or the other option would be to see what the trade market might be for that pick and have teams like us try to trade down to grab the final consensus top 5, whether it be Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl, or Michael Dal Colle.

This team will definitely benefit the most from drafting one of those three guys.

However, I would not take Sam Bennett If he dropped to 6th, purely because we already have a two way centre in Horvat. We need some skilled forwards like Galchenyuk in Montreal to compliment the future.

I'd take Bennett. BPA, you can always trade him to get a similar caliber player at different position or with different attributes. You never select a lesser player with that pick to suit your needs.

I would disagree a bit there..I would say the top 5 go as predicted..in no particular order...Still,we should still get a good player..Canucks were lucky to get to the 6th pick.

The reason why I don't see the top 5 going as predicted is due to Burke and the fact that most of the times he likes to go a bit off board to pick the player he wants. I see Burke drafting Ritchie or even Virtanen with the 4th overall. Burke would most likely be thinking about size, grit, aggressiveness and toughness. Ritchie is definitely the prototypical type of player Burke will be looking at. NYI could also go for size and pick Virtanen or Ritchie.

Problem is he'll be gone by the top 5

Hoping Linden is talking to teams that like to move down from the top 5. Maybe a deal with Edmonton that sends Edler + 6th overall for the 3rd overall + Marincin/Klefbom could be made. We all know how Edmonton is disparate to get a top 4 defenseman.

The reason why I don't see the top 5 going as predicted is due to Burke and the fact that most of the times he likes to go a bit off board to pick the player he wants. I see Burke drafting Ritchie or even Virtanen with the 4th overall. Burke would most likely be thinking about size, grit, aggressiveness and toughness. Ritchie is definitely the prototypical type of player Burke will be looking at. NYI could also go for size and pick Virtanen or Ritchie.

You would think Burke likes size and grit,but isn't this the guy that drafted the Sedins,Kadri..?

You would think Burke likes size and grit,but isn't this the guy that drafted the Sedins,Kadri..?

The Sedins were franchise type of players. This draft doesn't have players as the same caliber as Sedins. Obviously any GM with half a brain would get the consensus franchise player with their top pick. This years draft isn't that strong and aside from Ekblad, there aren't any other players that really jumps at you with superstar caliber potential. I think Burke sees the 4th to 10th pick as interchangeable once Reinhart and Ekblad are gone.

The Sedins were franchise type of players. This draft doesn't have players as the same caliber as Sedins. Obviously any GM with half a brain would get the consensus franchise player with their top pick. This years draft isn't that strong and aside from Ekblad, there aren't any other players that really jumps at you with superstar caliber potential. I think Burke sees the 4th to 10th pick as interchangeable once Reinhart and Ekblad are gone.

that's completely your opinion and it just feels like you are trying too hard to see things you want to see.

the top 5 prospects are pretty decent and the top 10 prospects all seems quite promising. It's ridiculous to already claim this draft year doesn't have franchise players in it and write it off.

Aside from Florida picking Aaron Ekblad at #1there will definitely be a lot of movement from the Sabres and Oilers in the top 5.

I can see the Oilers wanting a defenceman and after not getting Ekblad, going the trade route. Perhaps throwing a package at Shea Weber with their 1st and maybe Yakupov.

Then Buffalo will take Sam Reinhart at #2. With Nashville and Calgary also in consensus to take one of the top remaining centreman (Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle)

What will be interesting for the Canucks is what Buffalo does with their second top 5 pick from the Vanek trade. They could take another centreman, but having just taken Reinhart and having someone like Hodgson on the roster already might lead them to take a winger (Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander). Or the other option would be to see what the trade market might be for that pick and have teams like us try to trade down to grab the final consensus top 5, whether it be Sam Bennett, Leon Draisaitl, or Michael Dal Colle.

This team will definitely benefit the most from drafting one of those three guys.

Im not so sure Dale Tallon will pick Ekblad at no 1. He still probably has nightmares of taking Cam Barker top 3 with Chicago. :lol:

I can't see it.

There's Monstrous Canadian Power wingers out there at 6 of our choosing. We won't roll the dice on small european skill Aqualini won't allow it.

I've seen Ehlers, Kapanen, and Nylander higlights. Ritchie has comparable pure skill compared to all of them with the hockey IQ as well. Add his speed and the fact he could become a 240lb player is disturbing on a line with Kassian.

Yup lets keep Kesler and stick him between Kassian and Ritchie... I wonder how many opposing players would suddenly get the Flu.

Archived