The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Jim Benning is the perfect fit for Vancouver Canucks GM, says Mark Recchi

luongo_01

I don't understand, aren't we suppose to hate everything and anything that has to do with the Bruins?

So tell me, why do we want Jim Benning as our GM?

I mean just think, he might draft a guy like Brad Marchard or Milan Lucic and we certainly don't want that, do we?

That's two different things. I mean if a player like Lucic would be play for us, we wouldn't hate him.. it's different, if players like these, play for your team or for another team.

I would like to see Benning as our GM, because I like the style of Boston.. they've size and enough toughness, that's what we still missing.

That's two different things. I mean if a player like Lucic would be play for us, we wouldn't hate him.. it's different, if players like these, play for your team or for another team.

I would like to see Benning as our GM, because I like the style of Boston.. they've size and enough toughness, that's what we still missing.

but then toughness gets us in to penalty trouble. we can't win here lol

What a crock of shard regarding dispensing with the Detroit model. These kind of simpleton reductions are part of the problem, not the solution.

It's not an either/or - the Detroit Redwings are certainly not and never have been a three line hockey team.

Anyone who knows a whiff about the Redwings knows that one of the most definitive aspects of their great teams was in fact the tremendous depth and quality they had - particularly how outstanding their fourth lines have been. Fourth line studs like Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby were a huge part of the equation of Detroit success. That is a model that is not simply trumped by Shawn Thornton.

What defines the Detroit model imo is to draft exceptionally well, develop your own talent, play a puck possession style of hockey, and remain competitive, always knocking on the door. It's a great model actually, one the Bruins can be seen to be emulating themselves.

That they have different personnel or play a different style of hockey isn't really what defines the model - the idea that there is a superior Boston model is short sighted and ignorant. The Bruins are a team that had it's share of high picks as a result of being not a very good team not that long ago, and were gifted Zdeno Chara in the UFA market. The Redwings haven't missed the playoffs since the ice age and haven't had higher than one19th overall pick in more than 20 years...

When you talk about how good the Wings product is you have to realize it is all about Ken Holland. If

you have been around long enough you will remember what a joke that org was before he arrived. They

were so bad that Marcel Dionne left them for LA. That had to have been pretty bad! I guess it was

possible that the Hawks were worse but it would have been a nag race.

I want a GM with a clear vision and an ability to recognize talent to achieve that

vision.

Yeah he was a solid player. He was no stud though. He's too short to be a stud anyhow

And yes Kurri rode Grets' coat tails, darn rights. What did he ever do without The Wayner

As for Robitaille, he was a stud before Wayne ever got to LA

Won another Cup while scoring 25 points in the 1990 playoffs without Wayne. Anybody could get points with Wayne, true, but to suggest that the guy who retired as the top scoring Euro in NHL history was just some average player who rode Gretzky`s coat tails is hilarious.

When you talk about how good the Wings product is you have to realize it is all about Ken Holland. If

you have been around long enough you will remember what a joke that org was before he arrived. They

were so bad that Marcel Dionne left them for LA. That had to have been pretty bad! I guess it was

I want a GM with a clear vision and an ability to recognize talent to achieve that

vision.

yeah this isn't really true though. check out the wings record from 90-97 under jim devellano and bryan murray. even a couple decent seasons in the late 80s.

vision.

ummm that was Scotty Bowman that built the Detroit model. Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom were already there. Bowman acquired Larionov to combat Federov's diva issues and it worked perfect. Getting the big Russian 5, Fleecing Toronto for Larry Murphy, Trading young core player in Keith Primeau for Shanahan. Building a kamakaze 3rd line of Maltby, Draper, McCarty and also acquired for a song. Shipping out longtime core players such as Cicarelli, Coffee, Burr, Cheveldae, among others. Bowman hwd that team built for many many years.

Bowman assembled Pittsburgh to last msny successful years and has recently taught his dun ho2 to build the Blackhawks for many years.

Ppl should pay attention to..."The Bowman Model"

"

I guess Recchi hasn't really been paying much attention to the goings-on of the Canucks since he retired after the 2011 SCF...I think most of us could see deteoration of the Canucks since the end of 2011-2012.

Yeah, well most Canuck fans are bi-polar. The sky is always falling. If you say something long enough, it may eventually happen.

In all honesty, did anyone actually expect the Canucks to fail in such spectacular fashion the way they did this year?

Yeah, well most Canuck fans are bi-polar. The sky is always falling. If you say something long enough, it may eventually happen.

In all honesty, did anyone actually expect the Canucks to fail in such spectacular fashion the way they did this year?

I knew it was a possibility. We could have got lucky and been a 1st round team or unlucky and have what happened, happen.

I knew it was a possibility. We could have got lucky and been a 1st round team or unlucky and have what happened, happen.

Actually, our spectacular fall from grace may be a good thing. If we would have made the play-offs and got swept or even won a game or two, we might not be starting on this necessary re-build. Linden is a good start, Benning or Fenton will be the next step, then (hopefully) getting a smart and decent coach. Re-tooling with younger, stronger guys is a very good thing as we've been stuck in a time warp without the pieces (e.g. Torres, Erhoff) that made us a better team that could compete with the big boys.

Actually, our spectacular fall from grace may be a good thing. If we would have made the play-offs and got swept or even won a game or two, we might not be starting on this necessary re-build. Linden is a good start, Benning or Fenton will be the next step, then (hopefully) getting a smart and decent coach. Re-tooling with younger, stronger guys is a very good thing as we've been stuck in a time warp without the pieces (e.g. Torres, Erhoff) that made us a better team that could compete with the big boys.

We started on it last year... the only "good" thing about it is our #6 pick IMO.

Otherwise very little has changed.

Me too. Recchi can go to hell for all I care. He was a total a$$ to us couple years back

I agree for sure ...he supposed to be from here yeah really talk about cocky I think the bruins are more than that and I just wished

one of the stronger bigger teams inilate them seriously folks last time I liked the bruins was when bobbyorr was on the team.

Now I hate lucic, marchand, and that over sized child playing when he should be playing basketball he should be banned from playing hockey it is certainly unfair for the rest of the average guys...Thinks he is tough I wonder how he would fair with someone his own size intriguing...

yes I did because they hiered Torts the american cosmonaught..you weep what you sow..

Archived