The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So can we assume A V wasn't the problem?

jerkstore1972

No offence to AV. But I want the Rangers swept. I don't know if I can stomach all the 94' and Messier references that will crop up. Glenn Healy going off on the "glory days". :sick:

Sorry AV.

20 years is a long time....

Good coach is looking good now.

AV kind of had to go. He had nothing new to try I Vancouver without a serious injection of new bodies. He is a great coach and the best in Vans history for my money. I think most of all he had to go because of what he represented.....the 2011SCF defeat. Unfortunately AV and all the core players are burned into everyone's memory as the face of the collapse at the finish line.

Boston couldn't beat us at hockey so they bludgeoned us, taunted us, disrespected us, and somehow managed to make us look like the bad guys. It wasn't hard here in Canada, as everyone outside Vancouver hated the Canucks already. (Blame Ron McLean?), and the media inside Vancouver seemed to want to sabotage everything going for the blue and green. Not to mention the utter destruction of downtown after game 7. Brutally embarrassing.

All this stuff leaves it's mental mark. AV may not have been able to get over 2011, and the fans certainly haven't and AVs face just kept reminding everyone of what might have been. Unfortunately Luongo (gone now), Sedin's, Kesler, Edler, Burrows and others have all shown signs of long term damage between the ears from that series, and who can blame them? The goals, the hits, the taunts, the bites, the non-calls, and the lopsided scores may all be forgotten, but the FEELING, that powerless feeling, surely has left its mark. Like the impotent rage that still burns in every adult male who was bullied by the guys and ignored by the girls all through school. I fear the current core may never erase the scars of the 2011 tragedy.

Yes AV's time was up. Two quick playoff exits and a dwindling offence. During those playoff appearances, the players looked afraid to make the sacrifices required to even sniff at the cup after that emotional disaster.

As long as AV would be here he would represent the crushing defeat at the hands of the Boston Bruins in 2011. It's not fair. But it's true. It may be the same for the rest of the team too.

Yes AV is gone and he had a better date. Our carefree rebound relationship with Torts started out fun, but he abused us, and now we're alone again.

I love the current core. I will always root for the the Canucks. The guys on this team for the past 5-7 years have been awesome. I have never been more into Canucks hockey than with this core, and I have been a fan since 94. The Canucks in 2010-2011 played the most exciting brand of hockey I have ever witnessed. Sadly, the team with its current core will never be as good as it was that year, and it wasn't enough. I think most people who look at things objectively can agree on that.

You read my mind. Great post!

AV kind of had to go. He had nothing new to try I Vancouver without a serious injection of new bodies. He is a great coach and the best in Vans history for my money. I think most of all he had to go because of what he represented.....the 2011SCF defeat. Unfortunately AV and all the core players are burned into everyone's memory as the face of the collapse at the finish line.

Boston couldn't beat us at hockey so they bludgeoned us, taunted us, disrespected us, and somehow managed to make us look like the bad guys. It wasn't hard here in Canada, as everyone outside Vancouver hated the Canucks already. (Blame Ron McLean?), and the media inside Vancouver seemed to want to sabotage everything going for the blue and green. Not to mention the utter destruction of downtown after game 7. Brutally embarrassing.

All this stuff leaves it's mental mark. AV may not have been able to get over 2011, and the fans certainly haven't and AVs face just kept reminding everyone of what might have been. Unfortunately Luongo (gone now), Sedin's, Kesler, Edler, Burrows and others have all shown signs of long term damage between the ears from that series, and who can blame them? The goals, the hits, the taunts, the bites, the non-calls, and the lopsided scores may all be forgotten, but the FEELING, that powerless feeling, surely has left its mark. Like the impotent rage that still burns in every adult male who was bullied by the guys and ignored by the girls all through school. I fear the current core may never erase the scars of the 2011 tragedy.

Yes AV's time was up. Two quick playoff exits and a dwindling offence. During those playoff appearances, the players looked afraid to make the sacrifices required to even sniff at the cup after that emotional disaster.

As long as AV would be here he would represent the crushing defeat at the hands of the Boston Bruins in 2011. It's not fair. But it's true. It may be the same for the rest of the team too.

Yes AV is gone and he had a better date. Our carefree rebound relationship with Torts started out fun, but he abused us, and now we're alone again.

I love the current core. I will always root for the the Canucks. The guys on this team for the past 5-7 years have been awesome. I have never been more into Canucks hockey than with this core, and I have been a fan since 94. The Canucks in 2010-2011 played the most exciting brand of hockey I have ever witnessed. Sadly, the team with its current core will never be as good as it was that year, and it wasn't enough. I think most people who look at things objectively can agree on that.

Best one paragraph description of the 2011 SCF I've seen.

Good post +1 :)

The Rangers are a completely different team to the Canucks that got bounced in consecutive first rounds.

Lundqvist > Luongo

St. Louis and Richards > The Sedins

McDonaugh > Edler

Their scoring depth > Our scoring depth (3rd lines in particular)

They're better than us in every facet of the game, it's no wonder AVs having success with them. He is taking a good team and making them great right now.

I don't get the deal with coaches "shelf lifes" in the NFL. I get the need to mix things up, but if you have a good coach that can get you to the finals then why should you change him if he's still keeping you in the playoffs with a depleted roster?

I've never understood the point of going: "Hey, we've made some poor roster moves and drafted poorly, and we're still reaching the playoffs. The coach is clearly at fault!" This is why I was so vocal over on reddit about getting rid of Gillis over AV. This year was a microcosm of Gillis' entire tenure with the Canucks. He goes out and grabs a guy like Santo, and convinces me he might know what he's doing, but he brings in Torts to coach with a style that doesn't fit our team, and makes all the bone headed trades we saw this year.

I loved AV as the coach, but his time in this locker room was up... as sad as it is.

Now you only remember the good things when he's having success in NY, but he did have the issue of not making changes mid game if we were down, then again he changed lineup every single day and never gave a line the benefit of a doubt, the Luongo - Schneider saga, etc.

I still say he's the best coach we have had so far and I hope we find an even better one this summer.

The Rangers are a completely different team to the Canucks that got bounced in consecutive first rounds.

Lundqvist > Luongo

McDonaugh > Edler

They're better than us in every facet of the game, it's no wonder AVs having success with them. He is taking a good team and making them great right now.

The only reason St. Louis and Richards look better than the Sedins is because of the supporting cast. Kreider, Zuccarelo, Hagelin, Nash, Girardi have all contributed at the most opportune times. Not to mention that the Rangers haven't endured any devastating/long lasting injuries....

AV is a great coach, but his shelf life with the Canucks was up. It was time to move on.

The shelf-life on the Canucks was up, not his time here with them. Coaches have had way longer tenure's than what he had here he's still a good coach and is proving that in New York.

Lundqvist > Luongo

McDonaugh > Edler

Richards is not better than the Sedins.... and McDonagh is > anyone on Vancouver, or most teams. He's a top D man in this league.

Richards is not better than the Sedins.... and McDonagh is > anyone on Vancouver, or most teams. He's a top D man in this league.

I would currently take the combination of St. Louis and Richards over the Sedins in a heartbeat

I would currently take the combination of St. Louis and Richards over the Sedins in a heartbeat

Sounds fairly easy in retrospect since the Sedins sucked last season. Remember Richards was in a massive slump the last couple years and St Louis didn't have a good regular season (with the Rangers anyway). I think many were surprised by how they re-found their form.

Archived