The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The size myth: how does the Pacific Division measure up?

oldnews

I don't see much sense in stressing about the makeup of a division in the first place. The primary point of a division is just to create rivalries - marketing. The main opportunity is for the players and coaching staff to study, adapt over a season or series.

Coming in with size or speed is still only an advantage. cdc seems preoccupied with how they measure up when we should only care about setting the tone.

Still wouldn't mind a size vs. corsi qoc though...

That would be very interesting - the only problem imo is that corsi on or relative corsi alone don't really tell much of a story - they need to be taken in the context of offensive/defensive zone starts, offensive zone finishes, quality and relative quality of competition... so imo an aggregrate or integrated metric of those underlying numbers would tell a lot more - and then applied to size, it would be quite interesting.

IMO the Canucks just need a couple more bigger impact players Like Kassian to build around, which is why I would be stoked to see the Canucks able to snag Virtanen either with an acquired draft pick or using their #6 on him (assuming the top 5 stay roughly the same). Canucks have some good speed + skill guys like Horvat/Shinkaruk/Jensen coming up, but I think a tough to play against guy like Virtanen would compliment the group well.

Horvat is a tough to play against guy, as are Gaunce and Cassels. We have plenty of shooters in our pool as well, with Grenier, LaBate, Kenins, Fox, etc. fitting that mold along with Shinkaruk and Jensen. There's a decent amount of size there, and even some players that use it to their advantage, but who do we have that's a high end forward to feed all those shooters and 200' guys the puck? Schroeder?

That's why I like the skill down the middle that could be available to us at #6 (particularly if someone falls out of the top 5) in this draft over some of the bigger, shooting wingers. Reinhart or Bennet would be great, Draisaitl isn't bad either, and Nylander is a realistic but still highly skilled (actually one of the highest skill levels in this draft) option for us if no one falls.

There is size (Sestito) and then there is skilled size (Carter, Anze, Jumbo Joe, Backes) and that is what we lack. Kassian is headed in the right direction.

Kassian, Jensen, Kesler's not tiny and the Sedins are say "medium" sized. It's not all bad.

Realistically we need one more legit top 6 forward that's preferably ~190 lbs (and still growing) or 200+ lbs.

But if Nylander at 176 lbs is the BPA at our 6 pick...I don't bat an eyelash.

Horvat is a tough to play against guy, as are Gaunce and Cassels. We have plenty of shooters in our pool as well, with Grenier, LaBate, Kenins, Fox, etc. fitting that mold along with Shinkaruk and Jensen. There's a decent amount of size there, and even some players that use it to their advantage, but who do we have that's a high end forward to feed all those shooters and 200' guys the puck? Schroeder?

That's why I like the skill down the middle that could be available to us at #6 (particularly if someone falls out of the top 5) in this draft over some of the bigger, shooting wingers. Reinhart or Bennet would be great, Draisaitl isn't bad either, and Nylander is a realistic but still highly skilled (actually one of the highest skill levels in this draft) option for us if no one falls.

Agreed, but I won't mind Ritchie or 'Take Jake' either...

I think what the OP is missing here is that having a large team does'nt mean much if all that size is in your bottom 6. You need to have size in your top 6 skilled forwards which we don't have at all. The other thing IMO is that size matters the further you go in the playoffs as the smaller guys get more and more worn out and injured as the rigers of the playoffs take its toll.

Getting through the first round as a smaller speeder team is much easier then going through LA then STL then BOS if you are that unlucky as those smaller players will be much less effective than they were in the first round. That of course is no guaranty that a smaller team can't get lucky and escape injury and go on to win the SC. Nore does it mean that a bigger team can't also get injured but having bigger skilled guys gives you a much better chance of having more effective players in the SC finals.

thats just my opinion take it for what its worth. Sorry if any of this was already said I didn't read all the posts.

Can you do the size comparison again, but this time use just the top 3 forwards and top 2 defensemen on the teams? I'm curious.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that this group of Canucks peaked when they finally had a big center in their lineup. Malhotra was so highly-regarded here that he had guys like Kesler saying he was the teams' MVP. Malhotra could come into any d-zone situation and quietly win the draw and Torres/Hansen would get it out easily.

Man, I want to watch the 2011 Canucks again, because I miss those guys.

Being in love with the past is what gets a sports franchise in trouble. So are you saying that Malhotra was one of the top 3 forwards on the 2011 team?

I'm not sure how anyone could read what TOML wrote and get that impression.

Fair question. So, falling in love with the past. He wrote: "Man, I want to watch the 2011 Canucks again, because I miss those guys". Suggesting that Malhotra was a top 3 forward:"Can you do the size comparison again, but this time use just the top 3 forwards and top 2 defensemen on the teams? I'm curious.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that this group of Canucks peaked when they finally had a big center in their lineup. Malhotra was so highly-regarded here that he had guys like Kesler saying he was the teams' MVP." Isn't what he wrote pretty clear?

Fair question. So, falling in love with the past. He wrote: "Man, I want to watch the 2011 Canucks again, because I miss those guys". Suggesting that Malhotra was a top 3 forward:"Can you do the size comparison again, but this time use just the top 3 forwards and top 2 defensemen on the teams? I'm curious.

I don't think it's just a coincidence that this group of Canucks peaked when they finally had a big center in their lineup. Malhotra was so highly-regarded here that he had guys like Kesler saying he was the teams' MVP." Isn't what he wrote pretty clear?

Yeah I'm just not sure how that equates to him saying Malhotra was a top 3 forward. I think it suggests that you need more than a top 6 and a top 4. The best teams in the league all have fairly complete rosters. Maybe I'm wrong though, I certainly know better than to try to speak for TOML.

That's the toss up for me- getting either a potential top 2 C or top 6 power forward are excellent choices. I'm ok with either one.

Being in love with the past is what gets a sports franchise in trouble. So are you saying that Malhotra was one of the top 3 forwards on the 2011 team?

No. But Kesler (or whoever it was, not sure) had a point when he called out Manny's importance to the team.

But yes, we have to move on.

My top 3 forwards on the team question was more relating to how the Sedins and Kesler measure up to our rivals, just out of curiosity. Comparing top players to top players is probably more useful than an average, as it's the top players who are ultimately on the ice for up to half the game. That being said, depth is also important. We're lacking in all spots lately. A sharp decline from 2011. Hence, me still missing 2011, sorry.

And likewise, not much value to claims that a team isn't big enough to compete in the 'new' Pacific division... The size differences aren't that significant overall, and even if they were considered significant, the myth doesn't stand up in results in any event.

Season stats against the Cali teams may look positive from the past two years but playoff stats are something else.

You honestly think this Canucks team could beat SJ, Kings or Anaheim in a best of 7?

Season stats against the Cali teams may look positive from the past two years but playoff stats are something else.

You honestly think this Canucks team could beat SJ, Kings or Anaheim in a best of 7?

This past year's? No.

Next year's? Maybe.

Year after that? Quite possible depending on who we draft, trade, sign, how prospects develop etc.

Archived