The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The size myth: how does the Pacific Division measure up?

oldnews

ya exactly why size does matter.

Both Sedins would have been knocked out of this series 4 games ago, Danny probably on stretcher.

I think a team can get away with 2 very skilled players in their top 6 that dont try to put you through the boards when they hit you and or stickup for themselves when push comes to shove anymore and you are too nice and just asking to be bullied.

Both Sedins would have been knocked out of this series 4 games ago, Danny probably on stretcher.

Ok Henrik is 6ft 2 and Danny 6ft 1. If they get 'knocked out' by other guys their own size or smaller then its on them.

99% of the game is spent skating. Not fighting, nor blasting some guy through the boards (which starts a riot anyways) . If you watch the hockey games its about time and space .

Bruins are an excellent example. They did not waste a 6th overall pick trying to get Lucic. They found him in the second round. The Bruins had a 5th overall pick a few years ago. They chose Phil Kessel.

Drafting in the top 10 is very rare for most teams. When you do, you had better make it count. Not draft the biggest guy you can find by passing up elite speed and talent.

Virtanen is never going to be drafted 6th overall. Its not happening. So the only 'big guy' we consider is Ritchie, and drafting him to pass up Ehlers or Nylander is a mistake .

We need to rebuild the Sedins to be tougher. Where is that scientist that created Robocop. We need him to make Sedins indestructible.

And I repeat - the Canucks outhit the Sharks handily last year in the playoffs - 146-107.

The problem wasn't an inability to match physicality with the Sharks, it was a special teams victory with the Sharks being spoon fed endless soft ass powerplays.

And, the Canucks actually dominated play 5 on 5.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=30&f1=2012_p&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

And I repeat - the Canucks outhit the Sharks handily last year in the playoffs - 146-107.

The problem wasn't an inability to match physicality with the Sharks, it was a special teams victory with the Sharks being spoon fed endless soft ass powerplays.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=30&f1=2012_p&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Stop confusing things with facts.

2) It's all overdone and relatively negligible in the end - and regardless, the 'big, physical' teams in the Pacific are simply not as dominant as perceived.

You will not find a single post I have ever made regarding drafting Ehlers - are misrepresenting my 'position' or confusing me with someone else.

Oh. If so, then my mistake and please assume all appropriate apologies rendered. This being said, I do recall that you are rather high on one of the smaller forwards coming up in this year's draft, perhaps one of the guys listed under the European skaters?

regards,

G.

Size doesn't matter if a players' speed can avoid getting hit.

Size involves tons of other factors primarily, a hard fore checking system with people pinching the boards, keeping pucks in, and being dominant at puck battles gaining possession.

Oh. If so, then my mistake and please assume all appropriate apologies rendered. This being said, I do recall that you are rather high on one of the smaller forwards coming up in this year's draft, perhaps one of the guys listed under the European skaters?

regards,

G.

No apologies necessary - just clarifying that I'm not actually in the Ehlers (or Nylander) crowd - but yeah, I like Kapanen who is slightly larger - wouldn't consider him 'small' - he's in the same range as Reinhart, Bennett, and Dal Colle at 6' 181 lbs.

Sharks diving all over the ice, that was a farce,

the refs ruined last year but im talking this year, not sure if youve been watching these first round series but some of the games have been beyond superthugged.

you can't have 4/6 TOP 6 soft players.

We need same serious changes.

Sharks diving all over the ice, that was a farce,

the refs ruined last year but im talking this year, not sure if youve been watching these first round series but some of the games have been beyond superthugged.

you can't have 4/6 TOP 6 soft players.

We need same serious changes.

Yeah I've been watching the LA/SJ series - and heard the stat that there's been over 500 hits thrown... Loving it tbh.

I'm just hoping the Kings finish the comeback - would love to see the look on Thornton and Couture's face.

Size doesn't win championships - defence and depth do.

A team with stars on the blueline who play 25 minutes and can shutdown anyone is probably the most important aspect of a Cup winning team.

Second to that, I'd say a red hot goalie is integral (but honestly, any goalie can play well and appear to play well behind a star defenceman).

After that, the most important thing is offensive depth. Stars up front can get shut down by opposing teams defencemen, but when you've got 20 goal scorers on your 3rd line matching up against a weak 3rd defence pairing, those are the matchups that blow open a 7 game series.

It then becomes a question of whether or not the Hawks can continue to absorb that kind of punishment in order to get to the finals.

regards,

G.

The Hawks core doesn't have a whole lot left to prove there bud. Still, looks like they are proving it again this season.

I wonder how this debate changes when we start talking about the size of the top 6 forwards, rather than overall size of the team?

These were the top 5 teams at the end of the regular season:

Bruins: 199lb, 6'0.5"

Ducks: 210lb, 6'2"

Avs: 197lb, 6'0"

Blues: 204.7, 5'11.5"

Sharks: 211.7, 6'1.8" (counting Nieto as top 6 and not 3C Thornton, but they are identical in size and weight)

Canucks, using: Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, / Higgins, Kesler, Hansen

194lb, 6'1.2"

So, we're about average in height, but our top 6 is fairly lighter than other top teams' top 6. Not sure what that implies.

So, we're about average in height, but our top 6 is fairly lighter than other top teams' top 6. Not sure what that implies.

FWIW, that changes with the likely additions of Jensen and Kassian to our top 6 next year plus whomever is filling that 2nd line LW spot.

Agian it's not about the actually size of the player. It's the type game the players play. Taylor Pyatt played like he was 4 foot nothing. Gallagher plays like he is 6'4. We don't have the type of roster that plays big. Sedin's don't drive the puck to the net, they don't battle for position and dig for the garbage goals. The type of goals that are scored in playoffs. Sedins are free flowing open ice players and in playoffs everything gets so much tighter. The only time a team gets open space is on the PP and lately our PP is brutal. Too many times our players get out worked and lose those important one on one battles.

I'm not saying get rid othe the sedins but we don't need to acquire more players in the same mold as them. We need more guys who can go infront of the net, out work a defender grab the loose puck and put it in the net.

Archived