The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Canuck Commentators?

JohnnyCanuck7

actually shorthouse n garret are not fine, they are awful. if ya ever watch broadcasts on the internet you'll truly understand this, some american crews are outstanding with plenty of color n polish.

our team of broadcasters are so apple pie and corny it borders on some evangelical theme that we should be always be holy n wholesome..grrrr

the in between periods with gallagher and the vancouver sun columnist macintyre i believe his name is, i'll stop right there! brutal!

i'd welcome a change in a heartbeat!

The Chicago ann. for example don't know sh-t about the game, they talk colorful fluff about nothing while I am waiting for some play by play.

Give me a break they are so BAD!

Shorthouse is far from a Homer. He's as objective a sports commentator as I've ever seen. He'll call the game as it happens and never hesitates to let the audience know when the Canucks get a break. If the other team scores hell announce the goal excitedly unlike other commentators who start sulking. His memory and ability to recall various previous relevant situations from games 3-4 years before is phenomenal. He is also very witty and always good for a few sharp and quick on his feet jokes every game. Try watching the bruins guys if you want loud obnoxious homers.

Garrett I would say is a self proclaimed homer to some extent. I do find his statements pretty thoughtful and I find that combined him and Shorty have a sincere chemistry that is enjoyable to listen to. Both have a good sense of humor.

It's disappointing to hear Shorty get put below the likes of Hughson. I'd take John over Jim any day. Go back to game five vs the sharks and the awkward stanchion goal. Shorty nailed that call. Hughson was as perplexed as everyone else.

And considering Hughsons partner is generally the whiny Canucks antihomer Craig Simpson I'd say a Rogers broadcast is 10x better than a CBC one. Gary Valk trumps the dimwitted panels that make up tsn and CBC as well.

3732227-5231925373-ali-g.gif

I think Shorthouse and Garret are very sharp. Especially Garrett when it comes to goalie details. Shorthouse has a good sense of the game too, as he's shown probably like once a game, to see things only confirmed by video replay.

And they tend to be positive and upbeat. Both in their assessment of the Canucks and the opponents. Which I prefer to the over-dramatic approach or the vilifying of the opponent which is needed in some markets to add excitement to the game.

actually shorthouse n garret are not fine, they are awful. if ya ever watch broadcasts on the internet you'll truly understand this, some american crews are outstanding with plenty of color n polish.

our team of broadcasters are so apple pie and corny it borders on some evangelical theme that we should be always be holy n wholesome..grrrr

the in between periods with gallagher and the vancouver sun columnist macintyre i believe his name is, i'll stop right there! brutal!

i'd welcome a change in a heartbeat!

Most American crews I have listened to are total crap, can't even pronounce players names properly as well as being the biggest homers in the game.

I can't take anyone who thinks that the guys from Pitts or any american commentators/gimmicky soundbyte announcers are the right fit seriously. I like how laid back they are, sure you hear them being homers, but you can think what you want and they can say the things that they want. I like how they are funny at times without trying too hard, and really don't have many/any gimmicks. Those announcers get old very fast. In fact, when I see CBC/TSN broadcasts, I mute unless Jim Hughson is on because they are, for the most part, dreadful. So I'd be in no rush to find a replacement. I wish people wouldn't ask for change for change's sake.

Are you kidding? Short house follows the play better than almost any, and has great insights in to the players. He also makes sure he has information on the opposition team too. I think he is one of thebest in the business. John Garrett gets old when he calls a penalty every time a Canuck falls down, but that's par for the course on local broadcasts.

I will take them anyday over some of the horrific announcers for other teams.

Could you imagine having Lee, for example, calling every Canuck game? I'd be watching game on perma-mute.

What about the commentator for Washington? Buffalo? Dear god stab myself in the ear drums till it all goes quiet.

What we REALLY need to change is the god-awful music that's played in the ROG.. DJ Loser needs to go in the worst way.

I will take them anyday over some of the horrific announcers for other teams.

Could you imagine having Lee, for example, calling every Canuck game? I'd be watching game on perma-mute.

What about the commentator for Washington? Buffalo? Dear god stab myself in the ear drums till it all goes quiet.

What we REALLY need to change is the god-awful music that's played in the ROG.. DJ Loser needs to go in the worst way.

I agreed with everything you said other than the Buffalo guy. Rick Jeanneret is awesome.

I agree with many of the posters here who point out that the Johns are knowledgeable and talented at what they do. Sure, they aren't particularly dramatic, but they are subtly quite funny. Shorthouse is a classy individual who is informed about the Canucks and other teams. His interviews show that he makes balanced decisions and is a good hockey analyst. Cheech is without a doubt a bit of a homer, but he admits that and is quite endearing, I find.

I can't stand most of the American commentators. Some of the CBC commentators drive me nuts, too, and their panel drives me up the wall. PJ stock makes me want to die. So I think we're doing quite well with Sportsnet and the Johns. If anything Shorthouse might look to improve his "excited" voice, but he's already doing a terrific job.

shorthouse is one of the best out there, and its for the same reason that he thought jim robson was the best in the game: the number of "gears" they have. they both have an incredibly skilled ability to accurately match the amount of intensity and excitement in their calls with the action on the ice. if you listen to a guy like mark lee, or even a respected guy like gord miller, their range of intensity goes straight from "nothing important is happening" to "stanley cup clinching overtime goal on a breakaway!!!" with no stops in between. its awful, and most of the time the excitement feels really forced.

as far as garrett goes, he's solid enough, and gets to stay based on his chemistry with shorty alone.

Shorthouse is far from a Homer. He's as objective a sports commentator as I've ever seen. He'll call the game as it happens and never hesitates to let the audience know when the Canucks get a break. If the other team scores hell announce the goal excitedly unlike other commentators who start sulking. His memory and ability to recall various previous relevant situations from games 3-4 years before is phenomenal. He is also very witty and always good for a few sharp and quick on his feet jokes every game. Try watching the bruins guys if you want loud obnoxious homers.

Garrett I would say is a self proclaimed homer to some extent. I do find his statements pretty thoughtful and I find that combined him and Shorty have a sincere chemistry that is enjoyable to listen to. Both have a good sense of humor.

It's disappointing to hear Shorty get put below the likes of Hughson. I'd take John over Jim any day. Go back to game five vs the sharks and the awkward stanchion goal. Shorty nailed that call. Hughson was as perplexed as everyone else.

And considering Hughsons partner is generally the whiny Canucks antihomer Craig Simpson I'd say a Rogers broadcast is 10x better than a CBC one. Gary Valk trumps the dimwitted panels that make up tsn and CBC as well.

Bang on .. next thread will be a 'movement' to change the color of the 'arsewipe' at Rogers to Blue!

Archived