The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd McLellan Canucks New Coach?

BurgerKing

The refs did hand la the series.

I don't think so at all. To me it looked like the refs had all been told to avoid a blood bath at all costs, were jumpy as fk, and nervously called stuff left right and center before feeling guilty and completely putting their whistles away for 5 minutes at a time here and there.

Made for a really weird series pacing-wise, but neither team can claim bias from the refs.

I don't think so at all. To me it looked like the refs had all been told to avoid a blood bath at all costs, were jumpy as fk, and nervously called stuff left right and center before feeling guilty and completely putting their whistles away for 5 minutes at a time here and there.

Made for a really weird series pacing-wise, but neither team can claim bias from the refs.

game 6 the goalie was pushed into the net along with the puck

game 7 Couture called for an elbow, when he was using his stick

both plays completely swung the momentum

LA ref puck at its finest

No way. Why the hell would anyone want this guy as the next Canucks coach? What has he accomplished with the Sharks in all his time there? He had a stacked team to work with this season and they just choked again and got bounced after being up 3-0. He works them well in the reg season but the way they play in the post season leaves much to be desired.

SJ had plenty of powerplays to get the momentum back, they lost fair and square.

The refs did hand la the series.

If tortz is fired i really think theyd give it to trotz he defines excellence and experience. The fact nashville aurpasses us in the standings should silence any boring defensive system arguments.

Trotz knows the west and would get a lot out of our young players goig forward.

Already liking the new era

Linden

benning

trotz

With horvat coming in starting the new era

Not a chance. They had 4 games to close it out and even tonight they had numerous pp opportunities but got nothing.

There was also the ongoing shark chicken wing dance routine, with the refs clapping in rapture

Both teams dove and both teams got some phantom calls, LA just knew what to do with them.

I don't see the point in focusing on refs and power plays in this series when it was the hits that dictated it and the goaltending that decided it.

California ref puck, that's the beauty of it. It's like Robocop trying to arrest Dick Jones.

SJ had plenty of powerplays to get the momentum back, they lost fair and square.

It's called momentum for a reason.receiving 6 pp to make up for a bad call the other team scored on is heart reaking for a reason.

ref puck

No way. Why the hell would anyone want this guy as the next Canucks coach? What has he accomplished with the Sharks in all his time there? He had a stacked team to work with this season and they just choked again and got bounced after being up 3-0. He works them well in the reg season but the way they play in the post season leaves much to be desired.

Perhaps it's the players, this has been SJ's MO since the 2005 lock out.

It's called momentum for a reason.receiving 6 pp to make up for a bad call the other team scored on is heart reaking for a reason.

ref puck

that just made the score 1-1, still anyone's game. SJ carried the play most of the game, they just couldn't score while LA scored on the few chances they had.

I don't understand how some people can knock McLellan for not winning anything and then in the same breath praise Trotz (who has had much less playoff success).

I would love for either of these guys to take the helm as both have their advantages and both are good at working younger players into the line-up, which is something the Canucks will be attempting to do.

I personally would prefer McLellan and his up tempo style as it would make for a more exciting game but I would be satisfied with either coach.

i'd be fine with todd mclellan, he's a good, smart, modern coach. i'd prefer a tandem of barry trotz and mike johnston though.

to expand on this, i feel trotz brings something to the table that this canucks core hasn't experienced. they've had the hands off, high standards, technically sound guy in vigneault, which is a similar mold to mclellan. they've had the belligerent task master in tortorella. they had crow, who fell somewhere in between.

what they haven't had is a nurturer. trotz, like pat quinn, falls into that category. they're almost father figures. trotz is a guy whose personality commands respect without being a drill sergeant or an asshole in general. he's a guy that players love playing for.

that combined with his focus on sound fundamentals and his ability to get the most out of the roster at his disposal, playing whatever style fits, makes him the top candidate in my opinion. and if you can pair that with a guy like johnston, who's a genius at creating offensive schemes and running special teams, i think you have an ideal setup.

Sheesh, the guy's not even fired yet and we've got a thread for him in Canucks Talk (not to mention our current coach isn't even technically fired yet)...

Thats ok .. McLellan will be 'summarily dismissed' by supper time, and folks will be wanting the next fired coach, as nothing goes better with this core than a coach coming off a stinker.

No doubt that the reffing has been ridiculously inconsistent throughout all the series so far, but there were calls like that going both ways in this series and with some questionable calls going against the Kings last night in game 7 in San Jose.

The problem is that the Sharks couldn't capitalize on their power plays later in the series.

Not sure I'm OK with McLennan after watching him this series.

The last couple of games he looked quite rattled behind the bench, and I'd imagine that the players would see and feel this as well.

I like his style of game, but I think we need a calm, cool and collected coach.

John Stevens on the other hand...

Tortorella end of season presser,

"It's stale. And that's not their fault. This a group that's been together for a long time. It's stale. It needs youth. It needs a change. I felt that from Day 1. We have to stop talking about 2011. The team needs to be re-tooled. And that's what change is. It is a young man's game.

"We need to surround (core players) with some enthusiasm. If I'm here, I want to play four lines. But you guys have to understand when you're on a bench … I did the things I needed to do to try to win games. Because sometimes I looked down there and guys just weren't ready, some guys in our lineup. We lacked depth and that's where we're at. That isn't being critical; it's the truth.

McLellens end of season presser,

"I'm in charge, I'm responsible for the group that performs on the ice. I have to accept that responsibility."

Not sure I'm OK with McLennan after watching him this series.

The last couple of games he looked quite rattled behind the bench, and I'd imagine that the players would see and feel this as well.

I like his style of game, but I think we need a calm, cool and collected coach.

John Stevens on the other hand...

Anyone would look rattled watching his/her team choked like that.

Archived