The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd McLellan Canucks New Coach?

BurgerKing

Do not want that choke artist anywhere near this organization. With the amount diving and ref bias they got they still blew it. Its not all on McLellan but he deserves some of the blame. Horrible suggestion.

Todd McLellan ? great idea

Lets sign the biggest choker coach in the show, would make sense for the Canucks.

there's some fine logic.

the canucks weren't good enough under alain vigneault, fire vigneault. hire torts, team still not good enough, obviously players fault, not tortorella.

the sharks weren't good enough under ron wilson, fire wilson. hire mclellan, team still not good enough, obviously mclellan's fault, not players.

did i get that right?

McLellan wouldn't help much. We need a winning coach who is good with young players since we're re-tooling/re-building. Maybe somebody from the AHL? Someone suggested the Griffins coach, Jeff Blashill (if we can wrangle him from the Detroit organization). He has been successful at all levels, has won several coaching awards, and has done a great job developing young players in Grand Rapids. Now that's what we need. With all this being said, though, I have a feeling that we'll probably just promote Gulutzan from assistant to head coach.

I used to be critical of Trotz, thinking he would just do trap style here, etc. But some other posters made some compelling arguments that he could adjust to a more offensively talented team. If he can, in fact, do that, than I think he is most certainly the best candidate for the job. He's developed prospects, including quite a few solid defensemen (imagine how good he would be for Tanev and Corrado) in a positive way. He's done well with a crappy team and won on every level. Add to that his work in the community and I think he is a really good fit.

No to recycled coaches ... find an up and coming young coach, let the team grow with him.

That's worked out great for Edmonton.

Get the "recycled" experienced coaches. The last coach to lose a series after leading 3-0 led him team to he SC the following year.

Still favour Trotz over Todd.

The CORE is the problem with that team. That is the only part of the team that has been consistent during their tenure of choking. It's not Wilson's fault and it's not McLellan's fault. At least not nearly as at fault as the core itself.

Copycat of the Canucks really...

How about Willie Desjardins from the Dallas Stars' farm team. Coach of the year last year in the AHL (rookie season as a head coach in the pros), Texas finished first overall this year too, excellent track record as a junior head coach. Very calm demeanour and treats his players with respect (exactly the kind of personality needed to deal with the circus that has become the Vancouver Canucks). I may be a little biased due to him coaching my hometown junior team (Medicine Hat Tigers) but the guy definitely deserves a shot in the show. He's paid his dues. Linden being a Medicine Hat boy himself I'm sure has his eye on him.

That is far too intelligent to post on this site. I, for one, would be totally fine with this choice.

This.

Imagine if Eakins has been hired here instead. Would have been much worst season.

We don't know that, maybe it would have worked fine; young coach, new ideas with a veteran team. Now Tortz in Edm, that would have been interesting.

I'll say one thing though, San Jose's powerplay is beautiful to watch. Remember when the Canucks used to move the puck fast and actually use player movement on the powerplay? I still find it hilarious how they can't figure out why the PP sucks with no offensive D and everyone standing in one spot.

I'll say one thing though, San Jose's powerplay is beautiful to watch. Remember when the Canucks used to move the puck fast and actually use player movement on the powerplay? I still find it hilarious how they can't figure out why the PP sucks with no offensive D and everyone standing in one spot.

Their PP sank them pretty hard in the playoffs at 12.5%. Looked pretty awful.

Tortorella end of season presser,

"It's stale. And that's not their fault. This a group that's been together for a long time. It's stale. It needs youth. It needs a change. I felt that from Day 1. We have to stop talking about 2011. The team needs to be re-tooled. And that's what change is. It is a young man's game.

"We need to surround (core players) with some enthusiasm. If I'm here, I want to play four lines. But you guys have to understand when you're on a bench I did the things I needed to do to try to win games. Because sometimes I looked down there and guys just weren't ready, some guys in our lineup. We lacked depth and that's where we're at. That isn't being critical; it's the truth.

McLellens end of season presser,

"I'm in charge, I'm responsible for the group that performs on the ice. I have to accept that responsibility."

So are you trying to imply that what Torts said is wrong?

He may not have taken any personal responsibility for the team in that excerpt however every word of what he said was legit.

So are you trying to imply that what Torts said is wrong?

He may not have taken any personal responsibility for the team in that excerpt however every word of what he said was legit.

Fans and organization are offended and can't accept what Torts said because it's 100% true.

Archived