The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd McLellan Canucks New Coach?

BurgerKing

No McLellan please. Nothing against him personally but I don't think a retread is the way to go. we need a coach that has won a cup before and is good at developing young players

since 1926, when the nhl took over the stanley cup, there have been three coaches that won a cup with different teams: tommy gorman, dick irvin, and scotty bowman.

hiring a coach that has previously won a cup is basically a statistical guarantee that you won't be winning one.

I think he would be a DECENT fit. That is if we continue with our main group of players and aim to make the playoffs again for the next few years. A much better fit than Torts anyway.

If we focus more on a rebuild I think Mike Johnston is the guy. He seems great with young players and is a complete 180 in terms of personality/philosophy over Torts. He was around during our successful turnaround (WCE years) and has built a beat of a team in Portland.

Can coach up tempo style, has had success at all levels, problem with SJ might be more player related, previous coach had similar playoff failure, although losing after being up 3-0 is epic.

We were pretty close to the same epic failure (if Sharp aimed at the inside post instead of shooting right in the middle of the net). Then we went on to the finals.

No....he is AV all over again. He's done literally nothing in the playoffs in his career

Give it to Huska from the Kelowna Rockets before that guy.

At least he's earned it

I've always said that the coach wins in the regular season/President trophy, while the players wins in the playoff/Stanley Cup.

We've tried AV and we've tried the Opposite. With the results that we know today. I think we need something in the middle of both, but closer to AV than Torts.

McLelland is similar to AV, but a little more focus on the offensive, like in the Detroit system. And McLelland actually plays his best players/young players rather than rolling 4 lines/playing guys like Ebbett and Rome.

No....he is AV all over again. He's done literally nothing in the playoffs in his career

Give it to Huska from the Kelowna Rockets before that guy.

At least he's earned it

So you'd rather go with Huska who doesn't have any NHL experience versus the guy who has plethora of NHL experience and came from the Red Wings organization?

The CORE is the problem with that team. That is the only part of the team that has been consistent during their tenure of choking. It's not Wilson's fault and it's not McLellan's fault. At least not nearly as at fault as the core itself.

Yeah, but that same CORE just signed big extensions, so SJ is probably stuck with them. So their only real option now for making a drastic change is to try a new coach.

Like Vancouver, I think the GM will be gone first.

Coach of the biggest chokers in the league, yeah let's get him.

They blew it against LA..but Mcllellan has consistently had his squad knocking at the door..Look at Darrl Sutter ...went nowhere with the Fames but was the right fit with the Kings..I think we need a veteran coach that deploys a puck possession system..no more dump and chase..

Not sure how this one has stayed open, but this might dispel the idea that McLellan will be available for us:

David Pollak@PollakOnSharks

Wilson says his recommendation is to keep #SJSharks coaching staff going forward.

Wilson did acknowledge his job might not be safe (meaning a new GM might not recommend the same) but I don't think anyone should put McLellan at the top of their list at this point.

They blew it against LA..but Mcllellan has consistently had his squad knocking at the door..Look at Darrl Sutter ...went nowhere with the Fames but was the right fit with the Kings..I think we need a veteran coach that deploys a puck possession system..no more dump and chase..

Are you suggesting Game 7 of the 2004 Cup Finals was 'nowhere' for D. Sutter?

The biggest mistake Calgary ever made was pulling Sutter off the bench.

Are you suggesting Game 7 of the 2004 Cup Finals was 'nowhere' for D. Sutter?

The biggest mistake Calgary ever made wasL pulling Sutter off the bench.

No..not at all..I always thought Sutter was a great coach ..With LA ,he found the perfect fit (he would not have been a good fit for the Canucks IMO)

Truth. Wilson may get canned. Read just now that he hasn't spoken with team owners yet. It's early but the last two times that happened here in Vancouver where the GM hadn't heard from ownership...fired.

Archived