The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smoothie/shake recipes

Mr.Habitat

I also tend to use juice, but some people prefer to do without all the sugar from that.. there's enough taste from a smoothie without it being necessary. So I'll second milk/yogurt if you're diabetic or more concerned about carbs/sugars. The juice you buy from the store tends to have like 3-5 times more sugars than regular homo milk per serving.

I tend to just drop bananas, strawberries, and blueberries into my most common smoothie, with the type of juice/milk/yogurt being added varying.

Frozen strawberries, frozen mix berries, some frozen raspberries, half a frozen banana, about ten ice cubes, a squirt of honey, about half a cup of milk (youghurt might work), and about eight ounces of vodka.

This will get just about anyone drunk in a hurry.

If you are looking to loose weight, get off the computer and go for a walk at very least.

I usually put everything that's extremely good in terms of vegetables such as kale, broccoli, spinach, ginger, etc. and add a heap of cinnamon (if you like it) or a cup of watermelon to get counteract the taste and yes it does taste good.

Oh and if you are trying to lose weight, try not to add any or if not only a cup of fruit. Too much fructose is just like drinking sugary drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I do unsweetened almond milk, kale, spinach, some honey to sweeten, mixed berries, organic non gmo hemp protein powder and organic non gmo pure chick pea powder.

The only iingredient in both is their names.

30 grams of protein, tons of other stuff. No dairy. If you want low fat dairy products, you've got chemical fillers.

And if yyou're looking to drop weight, hit the gym, cut the Carbs, reduce meal size, and increase meal frequency.

I can provide a meal plan to help you get started.

I do these two daily:

My daily green smoothie for general health

1) handful of green grapes, handful of kale, handful of spinach, 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 scoop protein powder and ice cubes.

My cardiovascular smoothie for heart and artery health

2) 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 cups unsweetend almond milk, 1 scoop protein power, 1 TBSP chia seeds.

Both are delicious. If you don't have a high quality blender, don't bother with the first one.

Where can I buy chia seeds? Does safeway have them? Also, is it possible to eat too much if them?

I got them at Choices Market, but I'm sure you can get them at any of the major stores.

I'm not sure if you can eat too many. I only have them in Smoothies and use a tablespoon of them in each one.

Cool, thanks.. One more question, do you have to do anything to prepare them like rinse them off or something? I've never really eaten seeds before lol..

Cool, thanks.. One more question, do you have to do anything to prepare them like rinse them off or something? I've never really eaten seeds before lol..

Chia seeds are very very small, almost as fine as sand, so you don't eat them by hand like you would sunflower seeds, but I guess you could simply eat a couple of tablespoons right off the spoon. If you eat them straight off the spoon, they will stick to your teeth, so be prepared to wash them down with something. I prefer to mix them into stuff, like in a smoothie, in oatmeal or put them on top of yogurt or any of your favourite foods.

Chia seeds are excellent for you. Not only are they gluten/grain free naturally, but one tablespoon has more calcium than a glass of milk, more Omega - 3's than salmon, more antioxidants than blueberries, and they're a high source of fibre to boot.

Not a recipe just what not to do:

No Milk. Check out the insane amount of sugar that is in milk. Sugar = Fat so cut it out completely. Use low fat vanilla soy milk, almond milk, coconut water, some yogurts etc instead. There are many choices and most actually make better tasting shakes than milk. Lower fat milks like 1% vs 2% still have the same amounts of sugars.

No fruit juices. Same as milk they contain a massive amount of sugar. Not added sugar, naturally occuring. Your body doesnt care how the sugar got there its going to produce insulin and convert it to fat regardless. Add frozen or fresh fruit instead of juice. Frozen works extremely well. Blueberries and cherries are awesome for this. Fruit vs pure fruit juice? Same thing? No. Fruit juice is like concentrating the sugariest part of the fruit only. Is sugariest a word? Who cares.

What is " eating clean "

I just are a chicken wrap with tons of veggies and chicken.

Eating clean is a vague term that means avoiding junk food and processed food. You can still gain weight "eating clean" if you eat tons of food, no matter how healthy. If you are serious about losing weight, start tracking everything you eat and make sure you are eating less calories than you are burning every day (there are lots of online calculators and apps that will help with this). Try to eat 10-20% less calories than you are burning, that way you won't starve yourself which is counterproductive.

I'm looking to drop a few pounds and generally get in better shape . I was wondering if anyone has any easy to make tasty smoothie recipes.

This bad boy is the tastiest "Green" smoothie I've ever had.

2 cups frozen mango

few handfulls of spinnach

handfull of parsley (and I hate parsley!)

some sort of juice, preferably something you've just juiced (I have a juicer at home and will juice usually 2-3 apples) or, cocnut water

2-3 cups of water

Makes one heaping serving

Play around with the ratios however you like to get it sweet enough to your liking, but don't skimp on the spinnach. A very healthy, nutrient dense smoothie. It is a great post work out as well, but I would take your protein supplement seperately.

Chia seeds are excellent for you. Not only are they gluten/grain free naturally, but one tablespoon has more calcium than a glass of milk, more Omega - 3's than salmon, more antioxidants than blueberries, and they're a high source of fibre to boot.

yep. as a vegan I eat chia seeds quite regularly

Frozen mango (maybe 1.5-2 cups)

almond milk (not sure how much, I eyeball it based on my blender, but generally enough to cover most of the mango)

a banana

tablespoon of cocoa powder

3 tablespoons of green food/protein powder

tablespoon of flax oil

tablespoon aloe vera juice

peanut butter (about one "knifeful")

a little stevia, as the aloe vera and the green food are on the bitter side

Makes 1.5 to 2 large-ish glasses worth.

I much prefer having frozen fruit over adding ice... smoother and less wear and tear on the blender (maybe I need a better one?)

I used to do frozen blueberries and strawberries instead of mango, but stopped when I heard that mixing blueberries and protein lessen the antioxidant benefits of the blueberries. Don't remember the source of that info, but heard it was worse with dairy protein than others, FWIW.

Archived