The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Interview) Jim Benning on TEAM1040

TheRussianRocket.

I wish Ottawa's GM was our GM. That guy just tells everyone anything and hides nothing.

So Brian, Did Jason request a trade? Yes, yes he did and we will honour that. We are looking to trade him outside of the division.

Yea, it really is great about Brian. I think JB is similar to him. When he got introduced and was asked questions, he replied straight up and didn't really hide anything. A refreshening look for once since we have Gillis who kept secret everything he did.

C'mon JB, tell us eeeeeeeverything. Don't worry about the other GM's in the league.

read between the lines... if they are keeping it between those selves then the situation isn't great... in fact its bad because they don't want it to be public...

Have edited the post below OP regarding the interview. Gave a bit of info but nothing too intriguing.

By the tone of the Kesler talk, seems the bridge has fallen to keep him and speculating he says he's talking to Ryan's agent on a regular basis, seems he's ironing out where he will accept a trade to and try getting that done sooner than later.

Sounds like Kesler is gone and that Benning is contemplating on moving 6th.

Santorelli could be re-signed especially if Kesler is traded. There might be better players in FA though.

Until he and two other Canucks were crosschecked by the same player, Santorelli was a very pleasant surprise. If the Canucks don't offer him a contract, I think 29 others will. FA's won't come as cheaply as Santorelli either, he wants to play here. Too bad he wasn't about 3 inches taller. Loads of skill though, and that's what Benning wants.

Since it looks like Kesler is gone, Santorelli would be a great stop-gap 2C until someone else can step up.

My thoughts as well. There is nobody on the market who can slot in at 2C for a decent price. Too much pressure to ask Horvat to place 2C at this point; especially since he may be better served in the AHL as well.

If we hire Mike Johnston in any capacity I will have gotten my wish for all three of the personnel I wanted this offseason along with JB and TL.

I couldn't be happier about the direction

Didn't hear the interview, but did Benning mention Mike Johnston? I don't see him leaving a very good position in Portland.

If we hire Mike Johnston in any capacity I will have gotten my wish for all three of the personnel I wanted this offseason along with JB and TL.

I couldn't be happier about the direction

Maybe as an assistant. I wouldn't want him as a head coach.

Maybe as an assistant. I wouldn't want him as a head coach.

I have some reservations about him as head coach as well. Not because of a lack of skill or ability on his part but more because this core group of players other than the Sedins seems very uncoachable at this point and a coach without any significant NHL experience may be in for a bit of a shock trying to corral them.

I have some reservations about him as head coach as well. Not because of a lack of skill or ability on his part but more because this core group of players other than the Sedins seems very uncoachable at this point and a coach without any significant NHL experience may be in for a bit of a shock trying to corral them.

He's actually coached them before....Bieksa, Burrows, Sedins. He should have as easy a time as anyone.

He isn't completely green. He was in the NHL for nearly a decade so he will adjust pretty easily.

He also knows the city and the management team pretty well.

True, he may not be the ideal coach for our veteran players but for the young up and comers, I think he could work his magic on them.

Ideally though, I would hire him on as an assistant and go after Desjardins for HC. A coaching trio consisting of Desjardins, Gulutzan, Johnston would be amazing!

Archived