The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to hire head coach after draft - Desjardins looks like front runner

TheRussianRocket.

I feel the same...you snooze...you lose.

Willie Desjardins is in demand.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports that both the Vancouver Canucks and Pittsburgh Penguins have asked the Dallas Stars for permission to speak to the Calder Cup-winning coach of their AHL-affiliate Texas Stars.

Desjardins, 58, just wrapped a 4-1 series win over the St. John's IceCaps to capture the Calder Cup. He has served as the Stars had coach for the past two seasons, following a three-year stint as an assitant coach with Dallas.

The native of Climax, Saskatchewan also won a WHL championship in 2004 as coach of the Medicine Hat Tigers.

I just read that somewhere else, verbatim. Is that you Dave Pratt, the king of plagiarism?

Desjardin ... can anyone assure me that he isn't going to be next Eakin?

Well, for one, Desjardins has a lot more experience behind the bench than Eakins. Second, Desjardins was an assistant as the NHL level—if memory serves, Eakins did not want a job as an NHL assistant coach before the Oilers picked him up.

Also, to be fair to Eakins, Oilers management thoroughly botched how they handled all those high-draft picks in Hall, RNH and Yakupov by not having them spend time at the AHL level. Not only does that mean those players haven't properly learned how to play in their own zone, it also means they've had their confidence crushed by playing on abysmal teams. Eakins biggest mistake was probably taking on the Oilers job, given their recent history. He might have been more successful as a coach if he'd gone elsewhere.

Edit: On the other hand, Eakins simply might have been overhyped by the media simply because he was part of the Leafs organization.

Based on the popular opinion of people wanting Desjardins, I hope we hire Bylsma.

The popular opinion last time was Tortorella after all...

I hope you're being facetious when you say that.

IIRC, the reason why Torts was a popular choice last year was because a lot of people had the idiotic "let's shake up the country club and get a coach who'll kick people's butts" mentality.

Was he? I thought Stevens etc were on more people's wish lists?

No last year there were three coaches mainly in the conversation. Tortorella, Ruff, and Eakins.

Tortorella was the most popular choice from what I remember. People said our team needed a "kick in the butt"...

No last year there were three coaches mainly in the conversation. Tortorella, Ruff, and Eakins.

Tortorella was the most popular choice from what I remember. People said our team needed a "kick in the butt"...

I think you may be giving the small but vocal "anti-country club" folks too much credit for their numbers.

Or I could be wrong :lol: From what I recall a LOT of the reaction to his hiring was more "not so sure he's a good fit but lets see what he can do".

Well we saw alright :picard:

Well, for one, Desjardins has a lot more experience behind the bench than Eakins. Second, Desjardins was an assistant as the NHL levelif memory serves, Eakins did not want a job as an NHL assistant coach before the Oilers picked him up.

Also, to be fair to Eakins, Oilers management thoroughly botched how they handled all those high-draft picks in Hall, RNH and Yakupov by not having them spend time at the AHL level. Not only does that mean those players haven't properly learned how to play in their own zone, it also means they've had their confidence crushed by playing on abysmal teams. Eakins biggest mistake was probably taking on the Oilers job, given their recent history. He might have been more successful as a coach if he'd gone elsewhere.

Edit: On the other hand, Eakins simply might have been overhyped by the media simply because he was part of the Leafs organization.

eakins was an assistant for the leafs for 3 years before coaching the marlies.

Archived