The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden on Team1040 this morning (June 20th)

Hank Moody

Was on at 7:30 am today.

- Having "ongoing" discussions with Kesler. Management hasn't fully decided that the trade route is the only route to go, Benning really likes Kesler and they are trying to work something out. When asked what they want in return, Trevor was adament they haven't decided he will for sure be traded yet and wouldn't divulge.Wants to get this Kesler situation sorted before the draft. Presumably because he wants that 10th overall pick from Anaheim

- Will have a coach in place before July 1st. Have had many good discussions with many candidates. Looking for someone who can "re-capture" the players who were off last year. Have spoken to WD, Have had good discussions with him. Will speak with him (Willie Desjardins) this weekend. Haven't had much of a chance to meet him because he just won the Calder Cup.

- When asked "is Desjardins your front-runner" Trevor answered its hard to say without an interview. Benning wasn't a "sure-fire" pick either until after interview. Mike Johnston interviewed extremely well, high on him. Really high on Johnston, "extremely strong interview". Turned around the Portland franchise, is familiar with the Canucks organization (sounds like its him if its not Desjardins to me)

- Crawford did really well in his interview. Linden is familiar with him as he was coached by him during his tenure in the Canucks. Crawford is familiar with some players.

- Booth situation gives Canucks maximum flexibility through Free Agency and throughout next season. Have some players they are very interested in speaking to, hoping they can do that.

- This season, theres a bigger appetite for more teams to move. Thinks its because Ekblad is the only premier defenseman available in the top 10, and teams hungry for defense will try to pry that number one. More teams are interested in moving back than moving up. Canucks are interested in moving up, looking at every option to move up.

- Canucks have tremendous amount of interest in Reinhart. Singles out "Draisaitl, Bennett, Reinhart" as "3 centers with different outstanding qualities". Had a great interview with Reinhart, where we sit at 6 its unlikely we get a shot at Sam. Sounds like he really wants Reinhart (Already known).

- Where we sit right now, the Pacific division is tough with big heavy teams. Couple of real good players in Nylander and Ehlers (comparisons to Patrick Kane). From a skill standpoint, really dynamic. Whether the Canucks pick them is the biggest challenge, its a very tough decision. 6th pick will shape the franchise for years to come. "Ryan decision, coach, and draft, these are huge franchise shaping decisions". From the way Linden sounded when asked about Nylander and Ehlers, sounds like he's extremely hesitant to pick a smaller guy due to the divisional rivals.

- Dale Tallon doesn't have to phone anybody, everybody is phoning him. Jokes Tallon is probably on the beach just fielding calls living up life.

- Believes in Eddie Lack. Thinks he did really well last season in a tough situation. Looking at every aspect of the team trying to improve it whether it be goalies, defense or forwards.

- Working on getting a deal with Mike Santorelli. Want him back. Comes down to dollars and cents. Local kid, very versatile, good first half of the season.

- Working with Jim Benning has been good. When you hire someone, you have an "underlying fear that you're not getting the person who showed up to the interview". But he's been fantastic, Benning has blown him away, he knew everything about every kid who walked into the room on combine interviews, even pointed out specific goals they scored. Keeps impressing Linden, has a great vision, a very hard worker. Has a very laid back personality.

- The last 3 months have been like "going onto a treadmill at level 10". Has hit the ground running, extremely busy trying to get a vision for the team and a plan together. Didn't realize how many people he knew in this league until this job and how many connections he's had. Is enjoying the job.

- Behind where they were a year ago on Season Ticket sales. Some positive announcements coming on the coaching front, free agency, draft etc. Believes sales will pick up after this period.

- Everyone recognizes we have to be better than last year. Doing everything they can to get this team back on top

- After watching LA kings parade, it made them hungrier to bring a cup to Vancouver. Watches the Stanley Cup finals every year feeling a bit empty that he never won a cup, wants to win one here. Sees Willie Mitchell hoisting another one and it makes him want one here, Trevors connection to this city and these fans makes him more motivated.

- Asked if it would be "cool to have Willie Mitchell hoisting a cup in Vancouver someday", say's we're pretty set on D, not sure Willie would be a fit for Vancouver

- Dan Bylsma interviewed really well. Did a really good job in Pittsburgh, Trevor is familiar with Dan from playing against him, thinks hes a strong candidate

Thank you very much for the nice summary. One thing that sticks out to me is that they are looking for a coach that can re-capture players that had an off season last year. Isn't this what they tried to do with Torts last year? Can we just realize some players time has come up here and get some young guys going and move forward?

Nice to hear that Benning is adding some value and his knowledge of the young players in the draft is impressive.

When asked about Nylander and Ehlers.... he sounded pretty leery, and referenced the "big and tough" pacific division. Doesnt mean they wont consider those guys as he also referenced them to Patrick Kane, but I got the feeling that they want something closer to Virtanen and Ritchie.

As far as moving up at the draft, I got the impression that he feels like other teams will out bid them, which I tend to agree with.

I think theyll wait and see how the draft begins to unfold, and if the player a team is hoping for gets selected, perhaps are then more willing to trade down....

Will be interesting for sure... booked the draft days off last month!!! Beer, wings, nachos, lap top, 55" HDTV, surround sound, locked in the basement, wife on notice that Ill be unavailable for the day.. YUSS!!!

Sweet, another interview full of obvious answers and cliches.

Actually I think this interview was a lot more informative than I originally thought it would be.

To me, it sounds like its between Johnston and Desjardins based on the amount of time he spent talking about both.

We now know Santorelli is a priority, and the Canucks believe in Lack.

Found it interesting more teams are moving BACK than up

Confirmed that Kesler fiasco will be done before draft

Confirmed that they are indeed trying to trade up to get Sam Reinhart

basically ruled out picking Nylander or Ehlers...

What else could you want from a 30 minute interview?

"We have an offer from Anaheim that includes this and this player, and from Colorado that includes this and this player, anddddd we want to hire Desjardins if he picks us over Pittsburgh so hopefully Dreger isn't right. Oh and we're gonna pick Nick Ritchie" ?

No, actually it was exactly what I expected.. this isn't the first interview of a GM I have listened to. He was much better than Gillis I will give him that, but it doesn't take away the fact that these interviews are pointless. I could of answered 95% of these question's that were asked. Linden wants big players in the draft and he also believes that our D group does not need to be tampered with.

I disagree that they are pointless.

The media constantly feeds us crap that we cannot be sure of on a daily basis (look at Dreger and the WD example)

When Trevor comes on, he re-affirms some of this speculation and gives us some insight from the actual minds of Canuck management, which gives us a good insight into what is good information floating out there and what isn't.

For example, I had no idea Bylsma had already interviewed and that we were working on re-upping Santorelli already.

- After watching LA kings parade, it made them hungrier to bring a cup to Vancouver. Watches the Stanley Cup finals every year feeling a bit empty that he never won a cup, wants to win one here. Sees Willie Mitchell hoisting another one and it makes him want one here, Trevors connection to this city and these fans makes him more motivated.

- Asked if it would be "cool to have Willie Mitchell hoisting a cup in Vancouver someday", say's we're pretty set on D, not sure Willie would be a fit for Vancouver

Wouldn't mind Willie back, but Trevs right.

He'll probably become another Barker/Vandermeer in terms of redundancy with Stanton, maybe Weber and Corrado

these 7 days are going to kill me :( God I wanna see what our team is gonna look like! I hate offseasons!

Yeah... but once its over... the wait will continue, and we will again over dissect every nook and cranny of the Franchise.

missing the playoffs sucks. way too long between seasons. But at least it sounds as though itll be a highly active offseason.

Linden again just reading from the script, speaking in non-specifics. I don't know what influence he really has on the direction of the club... I still have my doubts that Linden is the hockey mind that some fans believe he is. I guess we'll see.

I keep getting the feeling that we're going to hold our cards for way too long and end up in the gutter like Calgary. I'm not sure if the whole "we might keep Kesler" and stuff about thinking we can contend (not in this particular interview) is just being said to please the fans or whatever, but it's making me nervous.

Archived