The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

It was Shinkaruk Virtanen and Mccann for Reinhart.. Im happy we didnt make the move

Yeah, this is what I'd like to ask the people who wanted to make such a deal -- of course none have played a single game in the NHL, but would you still? And remember -- Florida apparently said it wasn't enough!

If by this time next year we've seen steps taken from both these players, this first round will be a huge success

While points are not everything, something around the 1.5 ppg from both Virtanen (80-85 points in 55 games) and McCann (90-100 points in 65 games) would be fantastic.

Really hoping for Roland Mckeown at 36.

could of got plenty of Virtanen type players next years draft, players like high hockey genius iq like Nylander would have been better

Isnt Nylander 5'9?? We dont need anymore talented speedsters...Schroeder and Raymond did so well on this team , eh?

The kid is 6'1 and 205... at 17! And it's not just that he haphazardly throws weight around, but he does so with actual strength and balance. It's not just about size either. Raffi Torres is the same size at 6' and 210, and is one of the hardest hitters out there.

There's a big difference between hitting people and skating through people with the puck. Lucic can do it, Torres can't. Virtanen's size isn't bad, but he plays like he's as big as Lucic and he's just not big enough to play that way. He's going to need to expand his game or Torres might be his ceiling. Torres was after all a 5th overalll pick.

The more I think about this the more I realize how HUGE the risk is!!!

This is BAD BAD BAD BAD.

Those of you defending this guy, he is injured... such a huge risk. At 17 he needs to be playing and learning, instead he is injured.

Benning needs to immediately be bought out if possible. If there's still time to do it before his contract kicks in, Aqullini should do it.

Linden needs to smarten up now and stay focused or he is going to end up fired also. GDMIT we just went through this with Tortorella/Gillis.

I cant believe it

This guy would have been drafted at 24... we coulda picked up nylander and then got virt at 24 or even in the 2nd round. DUMB!!!

FFS...Just GO AWAY! Guess what. There's a team that needs a guy like you as their fan. You might know of them.

200px-Toronto_Maple_Leafs_logo.svg.png

They could use you in their fanbase.

wow you are brutal LOL

Virtanen is a stud sniper. He will heal,hes young.

I think DopeyBrashear thinks he has a medical degree in arthroscopic surgery.

I'm choosing to believe that Virtanen being from BC had no influence on the decision to pick him. The alternative is terrifying. Selecting players because of where they're from is among the worst ideas possible for an NHL team. I can't believe Benning would be that foolish.

Oh my F*NG god... :picard: I give Benning credit for having a SCOUTING background... YOU not so much!

After not being able to snag Reinhart,anything after that was going to be a letdown..I thought JB would take Nylander,but in hindsight he probably did the right thing in taking Virtanen.

All in all,I think the Canucks picked their two first round choices wisely..JB is putting his stamp on things.

Speaking of Nylander..did you notice the hesitation at their table prior to drafting him..clearly the leafs management weren't sure.

I really thought Benning was a smart guy. Apparently not. All 3 trades prior to this i really liked. But this? Absolutely ridiculous. He only picked him because he's a BC boy. Even if he was projected to go in the 7th round, As long he's a BC boy with speed, we had to draft him.. according to Benning. His was beyond horrible. I hate to say it, put he pulled a Gillis. Don't turn into Gillis 2.0 now.

:lol: Lets gets your intelligent logic; Benning only picked him because of speed and location? You are a bright one!

Virtanen was not my number one pick, but I do have the intelligence to see why a GM would pick him at 6th overall:

1) Speed - rated number one by most scouts ( Nylander and Ehler also rated the fastest by some scouts)

2) Physical - rated number one by most scouts ( Ritchie also top physical player by one or two scouts)

3) Rated best shot ( speed and accuracy) ( Ehler and Ritchie also rated as the best by some scouts)

4) Size - one of the biggest forwards in the draft that has top six skill potential.

5) Has all the intangibles to be a classic power-forward.

6) If potential is not reached has the tools to be a very good checking shutdown forward.

Question marks:

1) Only negative against Virtanen is Hockey IQ or vision because of low assist totals. Vision and or hockey IQ are also needed in an elite level to score goals. You have to have the vision to know where to go to receive the pass, and have the vision to know when to start the rush up the ice and read the play again to get in the sweet spot to get the one timer off. So really the only concern about Virtanen is using the players around him more.

There is more to like about Virtanen then not, and as a bonus he is from BC (which had little to do with him being drafted).

Is he the most skilled, No.

Does he have skills that could considered top 5 in his draft class, Yes. - Shot and skating.

Does he Have intangibles that could considered top 5 in his draft class, Yes. - Size. physicality,compete level, and fitness.

People have to think before making the kid sound like a pick that was way off the board, especially after most mock drafts had the Canucks taking him at 6th and almost every analyst had the same results.

Reasoning skills on the forum are seriously lacking, some 10 years have better reasoning skills. :towel:

Happy to have you Virtanen even if I whated one of Ehlers or Nylander. I can see arguments for all three, because they all bring something different.

:lol: Lets gets your intelligent logic; Benning only picked him because of speed and location? You are a bright one!

Virtanen was not my number one pick, but I do have the intelligence to see why a GM would pick him at 6th overall:

1) Speed - rated number one by most scouts ( Nylander and Ehler also rated the fastest by some scouts)

2) Physical - rated number one by most scouts ( Ritchie also top physical player by one or two scouts)

3) Rated best shot ( speed and accuracy) ( Ehler and Ritchie also rated as the best by some scouts)

4) Size - one of the biggest forwards in the draft that has top six skill potential.

5) Has all the intangibles to be a classic power-forward.

6) If potential is not reached has the tools to be a very good checking shutdown forward.

Question marks:

1) Only negative against Virtanen is Hockey IQ or vision because of low assist totals. Vision and or hockey IQ are also needed in an elite level to score goals. You have to have the vision to know where to go to receive the pass, and have the vision to know when to start the rush up the ice and read the play again to get in the sweet spot to get the one timer off. So really the only concern about Virtanen is using the players around him more.

There is more to like about Virtanen then not, and as a bonus he is from BC (which had little to do with him being drafted).

Is he the most skilled, No.

Does he have skills that could considered top 5 in his draft class, Yes. - Shot and skating.

Does he Have intangibles that could considered top 5 in his draft class, Yes. - Size. physicality,compete level, and fitness.

People have to think before making the kid sound like a pick that was way off the board, especially after most mock drafts had the Canucks taking him at 6th and almost every analyst had the same results.

Reasoning skills on the forum are seriously lacking, some 10 years have better reasoning skills. :towel:

Happy to have you Virtanen even if I whated one of Ehlers or Nylander. I can see arguments for all three, because they all bring something different.

Good breakdown of what Benning could have used to determine his pick at 6.

Sorry - can only +1 once.

At 6th, it was between Virtanen, Ritchie, Ehlers, and Nylander. Nobody knows how will any of these players pan out but I think it is good to get a big guy with great speed, excellent shot, and not afraid to drive to the net. We already have plenty of two-way forwards with upside and adding Virtanen may help score some ugly goals for us in tight-checking games.

I wasn't very high on Virtanen leading up to the draft. Primarily nothing made him stick out to me. I always acknowledged he had physical gifts but that was about it. However after hearing him speak to the press all day, I can see how Benning could have picked him based on his combine interview alone. He seems to have the mental makeup to be a real winner. I'll be very interested to see how he fares next year on the Hitmen.

But feel free to jump back on the bandwagon when this guy scores a goal in preseason and pretend like you were always a fan. That's what Canucks fans do after all.

DeNiro. PLEEEEEASE. Don't let him back on the bandwagon. I'm starting to get a headache from wanting to cut loose on him with four letter invective.

Whoever hasn't seen his highlight package.. pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

Love how he steamrolls an opposition player. Skilled player with an abrasive edge. I like it.

KASS- BINGO!! They chose him just cause he is from BC.

Linden and Benning too dum to scout players.... so they just look at "LOCATION" for anyone born in BC and draft them. Apparently being born in BC makes you a great player. WHAT HAPPEN TO GARRISON? ANYONE.

Oh well, he can be another wasted pick. Look at our injured Shinkaruk who we are trying to DITCH. AbANDON SHIP!!

I guess next year we will trade Virtnanen for a pile of rocks.

Troll! You have a pile of rocks for a brain.

Hes one of the youngest in the draft and played hurt... I think he will be a sold NHL player the qurstion is... who will be better? Virtanen or Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie?

Why question who is better between those players? Your team selected Virtanen and that should really be enough to cheer him on. He is big and strong, a great skater and has a sniper shot. Considered to be a power forward. They could have., should have scenarios are nothing but water under the bridge. They mean nada.

I believe Benning is just getting started here, especially when he has dumped a good chunk of salary just trading Cryin Ryan and Garrison. Can't wait for free agency time. Wanna bet there will be more surprises to come. It could be pleasing to say the least.

KASS- BINGO!! They chose him just cause he is from BC.

Linden and Benning too dum to scout players.... so they just look at "LOCATION" for anyone born in BC and draft them. Apparently being born in BC makes you a great player. WHAT HAPPEN TO GARRISON? ANYONE.

Oh well, he can be another wasted pick. Look at our injured Shinkaruk who we are trying to DITCH. AbANDON SHIP!!

I guess next year we will trade Virtnanen for a pile of rocks.

You are calling people "dum" when you can't even spell the word? Appears your English, sentence structure, punctuation and spelling is not conducive to a learned individual either. You need to understand that being rude and crude to others can be turned around to bite you back.

By the way, Garrison was not drafted by the Canucks so why do you consider him a "wasted pick"? So you got it all wrong my friend. Try calming down, you are not at your best when you appear to be upset.

Archived