The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

stawns;

Loved the way Booth slapped Kessel around during practice. It must have worked as Kessel is playing better.

Virtanen let a couple of slappers go last night and that was impressive. Looks bigger than Booth although I know Booth was at 215 or close to it. Think Virtanen will play a meaner game.

A decent-sized forward who can skate, likes to snipe, can throw the body, and has been criticized of sketchy defending and dry scoring spurts? That's Booth to me. If y'all are reaching to compare him to Carter, it's also appropriate to relate him to the not-so-attractive option.

Booth was hella attractive, y'all.

A decent-sized forward who can skate, likes to snipe, can throw the body, and has been criticized of sketchy defending and dry scoring spurts? That's Booth to me. If y'all are reaching to compare him to Carter, it's also appropriate to relate him to the not-so-attractive option.

That should remind you of dozens of NHLers considering it's an incredibly general and oversimplified description of Jake's playstyle.

• Upvote 1

This post is beyond brutal lol

its called sarcasm you idiots its for all thoughs tools that have kept saying all yr he has no hockey iq in all reality how much better would virtanen be if he was playing 23 mins a game on a team like rockets actually being set up for goals i hope victoria plays hitmen in playoffs i wanna see jake play
  • Upvote 1

^^, well said sting

Am I wrong in saying that his offensive game is somewhat similar to Kesler's? Admittedly that's a bit of a lazy comparison to just use a former Canuck, but to me it holds some weight. They're both a good size, skate well, have great shots, play very much north-south, etc etc. Jake seems to be more pass-oriented now, and I like his hands better than Kes' at the same age. If he could end up like a more offensively-dynamic Kesler, I'd be thrilled.

And yes, I'm well aware that Kes is a center while Jake plays midfield or something like that.

No.....it's not a bad comparison in the fact you have two players that have a huge amount of raw untapped potential, both are shoot first fast powerful guys that love to hit and are a pain in the ass to play against.....in fact Kesler was a really good winger when he played there.

Midfield???.....lol

who was the poster that all yr has bitched about us not picking ehlers or girly boy nylander hes the one that was saying jake had no hockey iq and ya for the record if you cant tell what sarcasm is your dumb

Its the internet, sorry we can't come though your screen and see what context you are using it in.........

• Upvote 2

its called sarcasm you idiots its for all thoughs tools that have kept saying all yr he has no hockey iq in all reality how much better would virtanen be if he was playing 23 mins a game on a team like rockets actually being set up for goals i hope victoria plays hitmen in playoffs i wanna see jake play

To be fair, you can seem like a caricature of yourself a lot of the time.

• Upvote 4

No.....it's not a bad comparison in the fact you have two players that have a huge amount of raw untapped potential, both are shoot first fast powerful guys that love to hit and are a pain in the ass to play against.....in fact Kesler was a really good winger when he played there.

Midfield???.....lol

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking for the similarities. As for the midfield comment, I was being facetious

That should remind you of dozens of NHLers considering it's an incredibly general and oversimplified description of Jake's playstyle.

Likewise with Carter. I just think CDC is once again elating a prospect and comparing him to the best case scenario possible (ie. Horvat and Bergeron) while at the same time turning their heads to other, just as likely (if not more likely), comparisons.

We've all seen Booth play and most of us have seen JV play (whether it be in the WHL or in the junior championships). Most of us agree that they play similar. Yet, of course CDC will completely avoid that comparison and opt for the Carter comparison. It's logical to want and expect your own prospects to be better than they otherwise could be (not saying that Carter isn't likely, just saying that I think that a Booth result is more likely).

Edited by guntrix

Likewise with Carter. I just think CDC is once again elating a prospect and comparing him to the best case scenario possible (ie. Horvat and Bergeron) while at the same time turning their heads to other, just as likely (if not more likely), comparisons.

We've all seen Booth play and most of us have seen JV play (whether it be in the WHL or in the junior championships). Most of us agree that they play similar. Yet, of course CDC will completely avoid that comparison and opt for the Carter comparison. It's logical to want and expect your own prospects to be better than they otherwise could be (not saying that Carter isn't likely, just saying that I think that a Booth result is more likely).

Key differences:

Shot - Jake has a gun, Booth's shot is a muffin and has a slow release. There's a reason Booth drives the net so consistently and it's because he can't score from distance with any regularity. Jake is much closer to Carter in his shot.

Aggressiveness - Booth hits and drives the net but is a fairly restrained player otherwise. Jake is an absolute dick on the ice. Not dirty, but gets into every scrum, bumps goalies, gloves in face, etc. Not much Carter there but certainly some Dustin Brown style play.

Otherwise I guess Jake and Booth have some general similarities (strong skaters, direct players, physical) but for me the top two differences make the comparison off, and not just because I don't like Booth. It's just not all that good.

• Upvote 3

Key differences:

Shot - Jake has a gun, Booth's shot is a muffin and has a slow release. There's a reason Booth drives the net so consistently and it's because he can't score from distance with any regularity. Jake is much closer to Carter in his shot.

Aggressiveness - Booth hits and drives the net but is a fairly restrained player otherwise. Jake is an absolute dick on the ice. Not dirty, but gets into every scrum, bumps goalies, gloves in face, etc. Not much Carter there but certainly some Dustin Brown style play.

Otherwise I guess Jake and Booth have some general similarities (strong skaters, direct players, physical) but for me the top two differences make the comparison off, and not just because I don't like Booth. It's just not all that good.

That's why I say Okposo is a better comparison.