The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 12/29/2015 at 7:42 PM, J-Dizzle said:

Someone pointed out a few pages back that a number 6 pick should garner an elite player so....

2005 Gilbert Brule

On 12/29/2015 at 7:42 PM, J-Dizzle said:

2006 Derek Brassard

2007 Sam Gagner

2008 Nikita Filatov 

2009 Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2010 Brett Connolly

2011 Mika Zibinejad

The fact is #6 isn't a gimme and there's a pretty good chance there are going to be better players drafted within the next 10-20 picks.  It happens most years.  People freaking out because Virtanen isn't progressing as quickly as they would like should settle down a little bit.  

Gratuitous quotation post

15 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

My god....his post game comments are just the icing on the cake.

Kid needs to see a shrink. 

That can be said for must teens! JV is being honest in how he feels, he plays on the edge! something the Canucks need! He lets his emotion get the better of him. 

Edited by Vancanwincup

1 minute ago, Vancanwincup said:

That can be said for must teens! JV is being honest in how you feels, he plays on the edge! something the Canucks need! He lets his emotion get the better of him. 

C'mon there is a difference between emotion and just plain stupidity. 

He made a VERY big mistake on the penalty in the 2nd period preventing us from being able to go 5 on 3. 

Then he follows up with even worse in the 3rd period

He took brutal penalties all year tournament long. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases but if you can't learn from your mistakes on numerous occasions that's on you. There is a limit to the excuses and chances regardless of age, emotion or environment. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

He made a VERY big mistake on the penalty in the 2nd period preventing us from being able to go 5 on 3. 

He took brutal penalties all year tournament long. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases but if you can't learn from your mistakes on numerous occasions that's on you. There is a limit to the excuses and chances regardless of age, emotion or environment. 

Sure, he played terrible so what! You acting like he murder someone! The over reaction on this forum is a little over the top! The kid is having a hard time of it, but for adults to bash this kid likes there is no tomorrow are the ones who need a shrink. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Vancanwincup said:

Sure, he played terrible so what! You acting like he murder someone! The over reaction on this forum is a little over the top! The kid is having a hard time of it, but for adults to bash this kid likes there is no tomorrow are the ones who need a shrink. 

Dude you need to read what I am saying. I didn't even say he played terrible, or mentioned his playing at all. 

I understand these guys are teenagers and not mature composed adults.

What pissed me off is him CONTINUALLY making the same horrendous mistakes in terms of costly penalties. 

If it was one mistake that cost the game that would be a different story and I would be with you chalking it up to emotion, inexperience and young age. 

He made these same mistakes ALL tournament long, and MULTIPLE times in an elimination game. I didn't see anyone else on the team doing this. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

All of this is COMPLETELY FAIR criticism. I played a couple of sports at a very high level (certainly not the level or pressure of the WJC) but even at my level there was/is always a very strong awareness of TEAM FIRST. Discipline and the importance of it, impact of not being disciplined and the impact on your TEAM was always paramount. As was game awareness - when you can afford to take a penalty, when you should (ie to stop a goal) vs not, 200 ft from your net when you're already getting a PP! etc.

Jake f'd up, plain and simple. He did it once with his first hooking penalty and SHOULD HAVE LEARNED FROM IT. Being a leader is accepting after the first one that "I can't do this to my team again". He then repeated the same penalty and then compounded it.

Now, this does not mean, as many here are trying to make the leap to, that a slow start as a pro and a poor tournament = bust. It means he has alot to learn and certainly in the maturity area.

The nucks I guarantee will use this as a teaching moment. His actions have frustration and inability to live up to his own and other's expectations all over it. Once he learns to channel that frustration in a positive manner, to work harder to do what he can (ie hit, forcheck, drive the net and draw penalties) he will have learned.

I have said throughout this thread, its way to early to judge Virt, but we also can't deny that he played poorly and showed a distinct lack of maturity and played with a high degree of selfishness today by taking those stupid penalties.

The key now is, will he learn from it? If so, perhaps that chip on his shoulder disappears and he learns that just being drafted doesn't mean you're the man - you become the man by giving it all every night like the twins, Lou, Hammer, Tanev, Burr, Miller, Dorsett, Juice, Kesler did. I think the maturity issue is his biggest challenge and hopefully this is a step to teach him about that.

It also shows how JB's view that having vets around to 'teach' the youth how to be pro's matters - something our all in with youth crew, will clearly ignore, because you know 19 yr olds are always ready to just jump in. Maybe they aren't and that's what many in that group are more frustrated with, the fact that JB knows what he's doing and those people don't because hey Jake was supposed to be our savior. Well he's not, he's just another important piece of the puzzle and hey, look at that, there is something to 'learning to be a pro'! Go figure. 

Edited by McCannon
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Hockey expert?  How about just a random person who uses a public forum to express his opinion, I mean, is that not what this website is for or am I missing something here?  

But hey you have replied to quite a few of my comments now so at least I know you are listening.  Thanks for viewing my content, I appreciate it.  There is plenty more to come so stay tuned 

Don't feel special you hockey expert. I read majority of the comments.

6 minutes ago, Vancanwincup said:

I think there are alot fewer adults on here than you think...at least that is what I am learning

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jeaves said:

Jake Virtanen:

"Personally, I think the refs were a little bit on their side, that's just how I think"

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/683372280299257856

Probably just frustrated with his play and the team's results.

Edited by Qwags

21 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Dude you need to read what I am saying. I didn't even say he played terrible, or mentioned his playing at all. 

I understand these guys are teenagers and not mature composed adults.

What pissed me off is him CONTINUALLY making the same horrendous mistakes in terms of costly penalties. 

If it was one mistake that cost the game that would be a different story and I would be with you chalking it up to emotion, inexperience and young age. 

He made these same mistakes ALL tournament long, and MULTIPLE times in an elimination game. I didn't see anyone else on the team doing this. 

I am reading what you wrote and sure he played stupid so what ! Others did make the same mistake re watch the game! Why are you harping on it!  It is not as bad as you are making it. He punched a kid in the head after the whistle for being too close to his goalie. How often do ref call two penalties on the same player when one is already being called?  Learning what all his penalties were different in different situations.  Sure he did not play smart, but you and many others are over blowing the facts.  

Edited by Vancanwincup
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Vancanwincup said:

I am reading what you wrote and sure he played stupid so what ! Others did make the same mistake re watch the game! Why are you harping on it!  It is not as bad as you are making it. He punched a kid in the head after the whistle for being too close to his goalie. How often do ref call two penalties on the same player when one is already be called?  Learning what all his penalties were different in different situations.  Sure he did not play smart, but you and many others are over blowing the facts.  

You must clearly be in a similar or even younger age bracket as you are not understanding simple concepts I, along with a few others have pointed out repeatedly. 

Not going to bother continuing the discussion as it's just going in circles and a lot of "!!!". 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

You must clearly be in a similar or even younger age bracket as you are not understanding simple concepts I, along with a few others have pointed out repeatedly. 

Not going to bother continuing the discussion as it's just going in circles and a lot of "!!!". 

He's right you're overreacting and your emotional response to this is a bit ironic considering your stance on Jakes maturity level.  Take a deep breath and think.

The kid needs a shrink...WTF?

• Upvote 3

Just now, RRypien37 said:

You got it you are sure not understanding are you? you believe JV is not learning and I'm saying you and many others are over reacting like little brats! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

He's right you're overreacting and your emotional response to this is a bit ironic considering your stance on Jakes maturity level.  Take a deep breath and think.

He'll need a shrink if he reads the Jake Virtanen thread, thats for sure

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canorth said:

My emotional response? Have you read his posts? He sounds much angrier than me with all how his exclamation marks and refusing to understand what I am trying to say. 

Go back in this thread and see if I have made any negative comments towards JV this year. I wasn't happy with us drafting him but that's another story. 

Maybe it is ironic that I am choked, but I just recently finishing watching the game and I am still pretty hot. Plus, I guess I can use my age as an excuse too it seems (early 20's :ph34r:).

My opinion remains the same. If a player can't learn from repeated mistakes that's completely on him. This is a team game and it shows selfishness which isn't something that is limited in age as that is something someone in any demographic can have. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I was dead on with what I expected to see out of Virtanen at this tournament and I proved many of you wrong once again.  Keep hating, to you I might as well be considered an expert.  Beat it

I'm not hating. Your were dead on? It's kinda sad that you expect negative of our own prospects don't ya think? 

13 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

He'll need a shrink if he reads the Jake Virtanen thread, thats for sure

Even if Virtanen were to read these boards (lol), I don't think what we have to say would affect him at all. 

I just have this feeling Boeser/Demko knows about these boards because they've done blogs on canucks.com and you would think they'd have explored the website a bit (the message board can be seen on the bottom). 

Anyways, it wouldn't matter to any of them if we were to criticize their play. Meaningless. 

Can't deny I'm very disappointed in Jakes' play in this tournament. To me, even as a returning 19 year old, many times in this tourney it just didn't even look like he belonged there. Had some nice moments, but for the most part he was only noticeable when taking stupid penalties. 

I think what's surprised me most is what I perceive as his lack of intensity overall. To be fair, he did work hard on some back-checks, but overall, he was rarely involved in digging pucks out of corners for teammates or taking pucks directly to the net. To me he seemed to play more on the periphery of most plays waiting for pucks to come to him instead of feverishly trying to go get pucks. His tendency to skate behind the net instead of taking pucks straight to the "dirty area" in front doesn't sit well with me either.

Maybe it's because his skill, speed and size always gave him the edge and made things easier for him as he progressed in hockey, but now that he's playing against the best 18 and 19 years olds in the world and men in the NHL who have as much or more skill, speed and size, there is little to no edge. This is where work ethic and smarts have to be the difference and I'm a bit worried as those are things that aren't easily taught.

I really hope Jakes ends up succeeding as he seems like a good kid, but right now, he appears to be a long way from being a full-time NHL player.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Uggh open your mind.  Just because he's our prospect that means I should be kissing his butt?  I tell it how it is, I'm not just some irrational homer and you know what?  I have been right so far

LOOOL I didn't see you giving him credit when he was playing well in the first and second period???

He was strong on the forechecks, taking pucks away (one lead to a goal), where were all those comments? If you tell it how it is?